Non-crime hate tweet investigation unlawful!

Capodecina
Soldato
The police response to an ex-officer's allegedly transphobic tweets was unlawful, the High Court has ruled.

Harry Miller, from Lincolnshire, was visited by Humberside Police at work in January last year after a complaint about his tweets.

He was told he had not committed a crime, but it would be recorded as a non-crime "hate incident".

The court found the force's actions were a "disproportionate interference" on his right to freedom of expression. (LINK)
Sounds useful to me :)

Associate
I heard this briefly on the radio earlier, What a **** world we live in where "tweets" are against the "law" I mean the internet is not real life, we have much more pressing matters to deal with and here we are making it illegal for someone to have an opinion, irrespective of what was said, I'm not sure on what exactly the tweet said, but it's ******** that you are forced to accept the narrative and if you disagree and have your own opinion on a matter you are immediately racist, homophobic etc etc, we are all entitled to our own beliefs yet those in power would rather we didn't have a difference of opinion and just rolled over and accepted everything they throw at us.
You can have a difference of opinion and disagree with things you don't agree with and still be a good person.

Permabanned
What a **** world we live in where "tweets" are against the "law"

What's worse is anyone giving a **** what anyone tweets. I absolutely despise watching the news and being told what people on twitter think. It's only slightly less annoying than when they interview children and teens.

Don
Been waiting for this decision to come out for a while.

The details are actually quite scary, the police weren't just harrassing him, they were logging these "non-crime" incidents as a criminal incident which then had the potential to come up on criminal background checks or what ever they're called.

Edit: ****ing hell just read the full article, the police are still allowed to log non-crimes as crimes for the purposes as background checks. Scary!

Last edited:
Associate
establishing a precedent that using your right to free speech is not in fact a crime nor merits police involvement?

I agree. I was highlighting the lack of clarity in the OP though. I'm pretty sure stockhausen has expressed some bizarre views on here before as well, so that may or may not be what he meant!

Caporegime
British police are more like the STASI for far left ideology these days, don't even fight real crime just let real criminals run amok while scaring people who like to voice their own opinions that go against the dogma of the day and real journalists getting arrested for harassment for carrying out investigative journalism etc.

"non-crime hate incident" is a joke but at least now I know why a few years ago someone was telling me that many of the veterans at the local station were pushed into retirement (or taking it in dismay) and lots of younger recruits being brought in fresh out of training. I suppose we should be thankful they have shortages of manpower as they aren't fit for purpose.

Soldato
If so many people complain to the police what are they meant to do. Tricky situation.
How about they just ignore it, considering no crime has been committed, they have no business getting involved. Or alternatively how about arresting those that complain for wasting police time? That's the only actual crime in these scenarios.

Man of Honour
If so many people complain to the police what are they meant to do. Tricky situation.
They are meant to investigate it to determine whether a crime was committed and then pass that evidence to the CPS. Clearly here no crime was committed but they still noted his views on a record which could affect future jobs. They did that unilaterally without him breaking the law. It's not acceptable and I am glad he took it to court.

Soldato
Edit: ****ing hell just read the full article, the police are still allowed to log non-crimes as crimes for the purposes as background checks. Scary!

It is scary and quite offensive to freedom

Police have recorded nearly 120,000 “non-crime” hate incidents and may have stopped those accused from getting jobs, the Telegraph can disclose.
Despite police accepting that such incidents are not crimes, they are still logged on a system and can even show up during a DBS check when applying for work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...non-crime-incidents-may-stop-accused-getting/

Surely if it's stopping people getting jobs then it is inherently discriminative and should be illegal if non crimes are showing up on crime databases ?

Back
Top Bottom