What fad from your childhood/teenage years used to be "in" but now has vanished?

Associate
BB guns back in the day were no where like today. We would try to mod for more power!

You could purchase Dirty Harry's Magnum, Robocop's pistol, gas powered Shotguns etc, all very expensive - Beretta pistols were the mainstay as you do. My parents would never condone me purchasing, so I used to borrow my mates. His parents had a copper plate as a decorative piece, it was an awesome target, perfect plinking. We got brave and after modifying, pellets they would leave little dings although said parents were not happy with the new dimpled look.

Shooting the play button on a (at the time, expensive) VCR/DVD was the final straw. We felt that a remote was not necessary so bravado kicking in - we used to try and shoot the play button instead. Umpteen attempts later, one bulls eye and it obliterated.

Needless to say guns were swiftly banned. :D

Soldato
Speaking of bikes, anyone remember the Raleigh Vektar?

Some others that stand out from memory
The Raleigh Banana road bike
The Raleigh Lizard
The Mongoose BMX

Can't say I've heard of those, but I did have a Raleigh Bomber and a Mongoose (chrome with black tri-spoke mags and black trickys).

Permabanned
I remember the Vektar, but not the Lizard or Banana, but mostly because I wasn't into road or mountain bikes. It was all BMX for me. The Mongoose with Motomags is what I remember. Though I think every manufacturer at some point ended up with Skyway Mags for wheels, including Mongoose. My first BMX was a Piranha with black mags that was a hand me down from my older brother.

Associate
Speaking of bikes, anyone remember the Raleigh Vektar?

Some others that stand out from memory
The Raleigh Banana road bike
The Raleigh Lizard
The Mongoose BMX

One stand out was the Rayleigh Strika, I was always envious of the throttle grip gears of Grifter owners!

original-raleigh-strika-bike.jpg

Back
Top Bottom