**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Pretty disappointed with S20 tbh, I have standard S10 and would be looking to move to the standard S20. Not really getting anything in the way of nice upgrades on the cameras, 108MP unit would have probably swayed me but the upgrades are barely worth mentioning. The design is ugly with the corner camera rectangle and the colours suck. I think I'll be sticking with the S10 for the foreseeable. Maybe they will bring out something better before July when my upgrade expires.

TBH
I feel like this with all phones a year after a new one comes out. I upgrade around two years by then the upgrade feels more worth it. I have been with HTC for the past 6 years loved all the phones but I just want a change now and this is looking like a nice upgrade over my HTC U12 Plus even though the specs on that phone are still top quality.

Associate
After having a real hard think about this, I've decided to cancel my preorder and wait for reviews etc. I've pre-ordered too many of these phones in the past to see them half in value a few months later. Note 10+ now worth only 450 on trade in despite being top tier still.

At £1399 and given the fact I only just paid £999 for my Note 10+ in September is wasting money. Note 10+ has no problems performance wise and the camera is great apart from low light.

Good luck with your phone's to those who pre-ordered and hope they deliver everything you were expecting. I've got to get off the constant upgrade bandwagon starting with the Ultra.

Soldato
I have a S10 atm, I looked at the upgrade for the S20+. I have one year left on the finace with Samsung for the S10. Which is £240, But if I trade the phone into them instead of the upgrade programe I get £350. Surely its worth it to clear the finance then trade it in to save £100? or am I missing something.
I don't understand this either. I'm in the same situation.

I ordered my upgrade of S20+ before reading this. Comes out at £30.40 a month.

If I settle finance (haven't checked how much it is, but I got S10 on release day) and put my IMEI in to trade my S10 and start a new upgrade program plan, it comes out at £19.87 a month.

It's been a long day but I'm not sure if I'm missing something super obvious here like you say haha

Soldato
Can't work it out as my google-fu has failed me - does anyone know if the UK S20 Ultra will have dual SIM slots or not? Thanks :)
I spoke with Samsung. This is the first ever Samsung to have an e-sim.

It does not have two physical slots that will take a sim. It has one sim slot and one e-sim.

Associate
I spoke with Samsung. This is the first ever Samsung to have an e-sim.

It does not have two physical slots that will take a sim. It has one sim slot and one e-sim.
How does that work ?. is it like the Samsung galaxy watch 46mm which has a esim ie you just choose the phone operator via a menu ?
Does this also mean its finally the end of locked phones also ?

Soldato
How does that work ?. is it like the Samsung galaxy watch 46mm which has a esim ie you just choose the phone operator via a menu ?
Does this also mean its finally the end of locked phones also ?
Never used an e-sim to be honest. I was told by Vodafone that I should contact them the day I get my phone, and they will provide me with a number to put into my phone in the e-sim settings and it's as simple as that.

Soldato
I don't understand this either. I'm in the same situation.

I ordered my upgrade of S20+ before reading this. Comes out at £30.40 a month.

If I settle finance (haven't checked how much it is, but I got S10 on release day) and put my IMEI in to trade my S10 and start a new upgrade program plan, it comes out at £19.87 a month.

It's been a long day but I'm not sure if I'm missing something super obvious here like you say haha

No your not missing anything, i bought an s9 outright and traded it in for the S10 plus, loan was £494 for the S10+, £20.50p/m, no final payment.

Problem now is when you use the upgrade programme you get no discount or incentive for being an existing upgrade customer, you pay full amount for the phone albeit at 0% interest, I get nothing for my well looked after S10+

This seems to be a bit of an oversight by Samsung, other than the 0% finance there is no other reward for taking the upgrade programme second time round. The upgrade email confirms this
own the new S20+ for only an additional £9.81 p/m +10% upfront +final payment of £199.80

Strange considering they also ask you to confirm condition of the S10+ before accepting the new order. At the least we should get the remaining value of the S10+ that has not yet been paid off the S20+ or something.
May reconsider my own order now having thought it through.

Last edited:
Associate
It seems best to pay off the current plan with Klarna. Then do a trade in against the phone you want, seem to save £100-£150 this way. Also no upfront payment or final baloon payment either.

Samsung are assuming you didnt trade in a phone to get a lower price on the phone before. As if you trade in now on the upgrade program it's paying off the current finance left on the phone.

But if you traded in a phone last time round, then the finance you owe will be less than what Samsung are assuming. So we end up missing out.

Last edited:
Soldato
What about a 0% credit card? I appreciate you might not want to run another credit check so soon afterwards but worth a go.

I still haven't closed the two I have for previous purchases at 0%. :p

Still in two minds as I don't really want to pay a big chunk, although the cashback and free buds soften the blow a little.

Soldato
The buds crop up regularly as an enticement, so if you miss the pre purchase option they'll be offered as a bribe come the next sale. Maybe with a watch and a couple of hundred off the price.

Soldato
Never used an e-sim to be honest. I was told by Vodafone that I should contact them the day I get my phone, and they will provide me with a number to put into my phone in the e-sim settings and it's as simple as that.

Call up up your carrier and request an e-sim. The pack comes with a printed QRcode which you scan and the settings are automatically added. ( manual instructions are also given on the card incase of any issues ).

Soldato
The buds crop up regularly as an enticement, so if you miss the pre purchase option they'll be offered as a bribe come the next sale. Maybe with a watch and a couple of hundred off the price.

I know they're keen to drive sales but they've never done buds and watch let alone buds and watch and money off.

Soldato
This looks like the best 128GB Ultra deal I can find, anyone found any better?

Mobile Phones Direct
Vodafone Unlimited Data
No upfront cost
£64.50 / month after cashback (total contract cost £1,548)
Other benefits: Spotify (I would value this at £10/month seeing as I pay that anyway), free Samsung buds (although everyone seems to be offering this)
£42 Quidco cashback

I'm looking at any network except O2, and would consider those with a large up front cost.

Back
Top Bottom