Removed wallpaper. What to do with the state of the wall behind?

Caporegime
So this state was left after taking off wallpaper (one wall)

cW7GSfal.jpg

It looks like there was paint and someone tried to remove it. Now there are 3 flakey orange strips like this left behind.

Added to this the wallpaper has taken off parts of the very top layer of the plaster board. Other places it's very very thin.

Never seen a state like this after wallpaper removal

Will a plaster have to fix this for painting

Associate
have you actually taken all the backing paper off the wall as well? Get some sugar soap and a decent cloth and give it a really good scrub first, then see whats left.

Caporegime
OP
I agree I think it's a skim job.

Its been a pain to be honest.

The paper has an embossed and vinyl type surface, steamer didn't work well .
The chemical remover worked

I had to remove the vinyl layer which kind of tore away from a paper layer Then removed this with the chemical.

I'm fairly sure I have all the backing off. I don't want to scrub feels like I'll take the plasterboard paper off.

I hate hate hate Wall paper

Looks like I'll have to get someone in to skim

Soldato
That doesn’t look horrendous, it’s worth having a go at filling any dents with a fine surface filler, sanding thr orange stops smooth smooth with the surrounding wall and hitting it with a base coat to see how it looks before resorting to a skim.

20 mins with a basic electric sander and some medium sandpaper will soon tell you if it’s a goer or not. If there is still an obvious hump when all done then go ahead and get it skimmed but you might be able to deal with it without going down that route.

It looks like you have coving, you need to consider how that will look with the skim because you’ll start losing some of the bottom lip. If it’s only one wall it might look odd.

Soldato
I'd get it replastered then paint.

I don't get why people use wallpaper. It's annoying to get on and off walls.

I'm decorating now, using lining paper, my walls are too rough to just paint.

It is a pain getting the old wallpaper off though, I had to use a scraper to get the top layer of paper off, in some places I could just get a large part of in one go, then I would just use water and a sponge to soak the part stuck to the wall, once soaked in it comes away easy. It's just time consuming.

Soldato
Definitely get it skimmed, it'll look so much better. When we moved in, the whole upstairs, walls and ceilings, were wallpapered! When I stripped it, it looked awful. We toyed with the idea of using lining paper but thought it would just end up being a bit of a bodge and while it was in that state we might as well get it done properly and have it skimmed. It was messy and a faff, but looks great now.

Back
Top Bottom