How comes Banksy never gets caught in the act?

How does Banksy himself earn money?

I'm not sure if Bitcoin is off the grid? But he'll definitely be off-grid.

He must be known to the police, otherwise it makes them look at bit silly that they can't catch a graffiti artist.

The police are too busy tracking down adults who wrote something 'questionable' on Facebook/Twitter in 2007 when they were 12 years old, and the terminally offended have just reported it, over a decade later. They're also too busy arresting people at fancy dress parties because they wore sombrero hats.

Permabanned
Isn't Banksy one of the guys out of massive attack?

Pretty much assumed to be at this point. Especially when you consider Massive Attacks and Del Naja's activism and politics and the fact Del Naja was a graf artist back in the 80s.

Edit: Skip to 4:22 and 6:17 in the video to see him using stencils for Travis Bickle and the taxi cab checkering... in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I don't buy it. One bit of art from 1993 that could have been drawn by any high school student and a grainy video from 1995 were the article states the footage is blurry and difficult to make out and appears to have only a passing resemblance to Gunningham. Meanwhile a clear video from the 1980s with Del Naja using stencils, while Banksy's claimed biggest influence, Blek le Rat only started doing stencil art in 1981. Del Naja has several years on Gunningham doing stencil art and being caught on tape if that's the case.

IF Gunningham has anything to do with Banksy, it's as part of a street team and collective, since the appearance of Banksy artwork around the world usually coincides with Massive Attack's touring schedule. And the fact Goldie has dropped Del Naja's name in the past, which again, is covered by the article you linked to and Goldie and Del Naja have known each other as graffiti artists since the 80s and featured in graffiti books together... then there's the overt political messages behind Banksy's art and you only have to look at the history of Massive Attack and Del Naja to see they align and run exactly parallel.

Soldato
Theres lots of evidence pointing towards gunningham

Bristol-born Robin Gunningham being Banksy is the strongest rumour. Born in 1973, a few miles from Bristol, by former schoolmates say Gunningham is the mysterious artist. Criminologists at Queen Mary University even used geographic profiling to supposedly identify the street artist in 2016. The technique is usually applied to locating repeat offenders, but the researchers analysed 140 artworks in London and Bristol attributed to the artist to make their conclusions.

Soldato
Him being Del Naja or a collective would be the most interesting. If it''s just a middle class person like Gunningham.. That would be about as interesting as when that bloke revealed he was the Stig.

Permabanned
Theres lots of evidence pointing towards gunningham

And there's just as much refuting it and lots of evidence pointing towards it being a collective street team, with Del Naja and Massive Attack being the focus. The evidence from school mates saying it is Gunningham, is from one guy, who said he was good at art and said "He was one of three people in my year who were extremely talented at art. I am not at all surprised if he is Banksy." If I drink exlax and paint, taking a **** on canvas doesn't make me Jackson Pollock. Even if someone could confirm I was extremely talented at school and my ******** meant they wouldn't be surprised if I was Jackson Pollock.

Here is gunningham in jamaica around the time when banksys artwork appeared on the island

that stencil looks familiar.....

Of course it looks familiar. It's the balloon girl stencil. Which went up in Jamaica in 2004 with a black balloon. Do you know why he was in Jamaica at that time? It was to work on a project put together by a record label, a collab between UK and Jamaican musicians. Daddy G was born to West Indian parents. Tricky's father was Jamaican. Dub and Reggae were big influences on Massive Attacks sound. Hell, they released an entire remix album of Protection that was dub.

Also note that with Banksy on that trip was DJ Jon Carter. Carter worked on the album called Two Culture Clash. Banksy was to do the art, but it wasn't used. Carter was a big beat DJ before moving into dub and dancehall (Jamaican music) in the mid 90s. The project evolved into a full band called Monkey Mafia and played clubs and festivals and also toured with Roni Size as well as..... Massive Attack in 1999.

Remember the footage taken at the banksy auction when the gillertine cut the artwork up?

It's funny that as soon as people start linking Banksy to Robert Del Naja... and Goldie drops his name in 2017, in 2018 a piece pops up and is shredded with what looks to be Robin Gunningham there to witness it, the man suspected to most likely be Banksy, who values his anonymity, and just happens to get caught on camera surrounded by people.

Gunningham was also pictured working as a parking attendant at some event Banksey did.
There's been loads of different people that have been pictured or interviewed and alleged to have been Banksy, that a street team makes more sense than any single artist.

Last edited:
Caporegime
stencils do make it a few minutes for the paint also the flowers were already made then stuck up. there had been scaffolding up for the latest one before unvieling. it probably isnt him anymore spraying just doing the design then someone else spraying. with a stencil literally anyone could do it. do like some of the designs but once it gets too artsy farty thats where i dont care. art is always subjective. so this will always be debated is it art or vandalism or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom