Londoners moving to Northern England - is this a good thing?

Capodecina
Soldato
There has allegedly been a steep rise in residents of London moving to northern England.
Yes, we have known that for quite a while; just don't bring your selfish, greedy, rude and impatient ways with you . . . but if you behave, WELCOME :)

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Who wouldn't want a better quality of life

Depends on you're version of better quality of life and when in you're life you want it.

Many use London as a vehicle to a nice retirement using house price inflation to secure a nice retirement. You can't do that if you sell up and move away in your 30s.

Caporegime
Depends on you're version of better quality of life and when in you're life you want it.

Many use London as a vehicle to a nice retirement using house price inflation to secure a nice retirement. You can't do that if you sell up and move away in your 30s.

This is it isn't it

What do you want?

I would never move to London.. Unless it was move for 3 years and never work again

I want my quality of life (for me that's mature etc ) for when I'm in my 30s

Living in London is great for boosting retirement quality of life and retiring earlier

NVP

NVP

Soldato

I'm unsure of the viability of this now compared with when London prices weren't already so inflated. You can do similar elsewhere with the advantage of multiples which produce a higher return through rentals.

This is it isn't it

What do you want?

I would never move to London.. Unless it was move for 3 years and never work again

I want my quality of life (for me that's mature etc ) for when I'm in my 30s

Living in London is great for boosting retirement quality of life and retiring earlier
I don't understand how it is, cost of living negates any benefit from the inflated salary.

Caporegime
I'm unsure of the viability of this now compared with when London prices weren't already so inflated. You can do similar elsewhere with the advantage of multiples which produce a higher return through rentals.

I don't understand how it is, cost of living negates any benefit from the inflated salary.

Yeah you have to out earn that I guess.

Surely the main cost of living is housing?
Long as you're paying a mortgage you are kind of paying yourself

Soldato
The quality of life argument is always subjective. It can be great anywhere in the UK if it suits you. Travel in London is cheap (note - not so cheap if you live outside the M25 but that’s not London). I really don’t get the anti-London movement, it’s such a foolish generalisation of 9 odd million people (my foolish generalisation above is of course tongue in cheek!). People can be grumpy and rude anywhere that is busy early in the morning - that’s just human nature. If you don’t think London is basically the UKs showcase then perhaps have another think. Despite the fact London didn’t vote for Brexit it’s the one place in the UK that could make it less than an economic disaster. My experience is when people talk negatively about “London” they don’t mean the place, they mean some abstract, amorphous, non-existent person that embodies what they don’t like (whatever that happens to be) - I’m looking at you OP!

As for the contribution to the whole country’s purse, you’re welcome!

Last edited:
Soldato
I moved to Wakefield from the south (lived in many places in London, then Watford and Hemel) and I've seen more 'selfish, greedy, rude and impatient' ways from northerners than southerners, especially on the roads. You talk a good game but in practice it's just that, talk.

(I'm South African so I have no vested interest in some north vs south war, was merely an observation).

Caporegime
People don't like London because it's sucking investment that could be better used to improve other regions, the people are irrelevant and are just an easy target.

The problem of course is that if you don't invest in London, you're missing out on small gains from a big pile, which is obviously easier to justify and deliver on, but it's no consolation for the the rest of the country barely existing, indeed on what is little more than charity.

Last edited:
Soldato
People don't like London because it's sucking investment that could be better used to improve other regions, the people are irrelevant and are just an easy target.

The problem of course is that if you don't invest in London, you're missing out on small gains from a big pile, which is obviously easier to justify and deliver on, but it's no consolation for the the rest of the country barely existing, indeed on what is little more than charity.

Blame the government for that. I don’t believe the rest of the country is barely existing though, there are always poor and deprived areas some of the worst of which are in London itself.

I’d argue against the word “sucking” - you could equally argue London gets less than it’s fair share - eta “fair share” as in versus what it generates.

Back
Top Bottom