What really annoys me about phones.

Soldato
So we've reached peak smart phone, to the point a £1000 phone doesn't really do anything much better than a £300 phone.

What next? 32gb ram and 1tb flash memory? 4K screen?

Why?

Give me a better battery and I might be interested

Associate
Completely agree with you. I'm using a Huawei P-Smart that cost me £170 nearly two years ago and manage just fine. It's a little underpowered with the latest version of Android but I'm not going to spend £1000 to get a barely better experience.

Permabanned
People will pay regardless. The companies optimise the phone to put just enough battery in to last the day. If they want too they could make battery life last a week but they don’t.

As long as people keep buying, companies are making a profit there won’t be many changes.

Soldato
Now high end phones are so expensive one thing I have noticed one thing which includes myself
Is that very few people now upgrade there mobile phones unless there phone broken, Lost or something

Yes you will always have the hardcore few that will upgrade almost every year at any price

Permabanned
Yes you always have the hardcore ones that will upgrade almost every year at any price

It must be costing these people an absolute fortune over the years for phones. People really need to think about how much money they throwing away.

What’s happened to the days of 12 month contracts and cheaper phones. These phone companies are making a massive profit.

Soldato
Meh, you see people throw money away on one thing or another.

But yeah, I'm pretty much over the whole latest and greatest flagship chasing.

Soldato
It must be costing these people an absolute fortune over the years for phones. People really need to think about how much money they throwing away.
There will always be something people waste there money on

Just some of the money I wasted myself over my life
Loads of money on cars + car mods + car audio etc
Loads of money on motorbikes + Mods
Loads of money on my boats + fuel + fishing
Loads of money on pubbing + taxi's + women
Loads of money on high end PC upgrades over the years
Loads of money on high end TV's + AV stuff

Soldato
High end smartphones are overpriced but many people use them so much that the hourly cost isn't too bad if you break it down. If you're using a device 3, 4, 5, hell, 8 hours a day, why not have one that's 20 percent better than that 400 quid mid ranger?

And as someone pointed out, people waste money on lots of things they don't need and with some things (eg cars) the returns from getting a new pcp car every 2 years are likely to bring changes but few worthwhile improvements.

So yes, flagships overpriced (the s20 Ultra is a joke) but they're obviously selling enough otherwise the price would come down.

Man of Honour
I don't care about the price but I hate the trends - also would like to see better battery features/performance over silly numbers increases in things that are already OK or better than OK.

Form factor/quality of materials and performance of materials, sticking with a nice rectangular screen - don't care if they do a variety of different screen styles but the move away from plain old screens to increasing silly curves and bezels at the expense of a plain screen is annoying. Keep the **** 3.5mm socket and not such a rush to make all phones non-removable battery wise.

Also probably in a minority that would like to see folded screens hit proper use so I have the option of using it like my current phone or unfolding it like a tablet and avoiding toting an extra device with me.

Soldato
You're not wrong. I have always bounced from flagship to flagship and wouldn't have dreamt of having any other device. I'm currently on a 7T Pro and I genuinely think my next upgrade could well be a 'second tier' phone e.g. a Samsung or a Pixel 'A' series. These phones have everything I would look for in a flagship personally. The main drawback with these 'cheaper' options a few years ago for me was the drastically inferior screen and camera technology they used. But now even the budget devices are coming with 1080p OLED screens and the cameras do a perfectly good job for what I'd expect from a phone.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Yup same here too. I use to be one of those that had to upgrade my phone every 12/18 months. Needed the best camera etc etc

I'm still rocking a galaxy S8 from launch. That was 3 years ago. The prices on these new galaxy phone are ridiculous. Infact most phone prices are way expensive.

I will no longer go down the route paying over the odds for a phone.

Man of Honour
It's perfectly valid for people to spend their money on whatever they want however with phones I believe that the majority of buyers have no idea why they want the next model number up, just that it is the next model up so must be better.
Yesterday a woman at work was asking for advice on a new phone and started mentioning £50 contracts with high end phones so I asked her what she used them for and the answer was the usual - pictures, Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram & texting.
I gave her my phone to play with and after 10 minutes she gave it me back saying she wants one and then was gobsmacked when I told her it was now £200.
I said ring up EE and negotiate a Sim only deal, mine costs £7.50 for unlimited unlimited 6gb and then just buy the phone, if you compared the whole deal with a normal 24 month contract it would work out at £15.83 a month compared to a contract up to £50 a month.

Soldato
And as someone pointed out, people waste money on lots of things they don't need and with some things (eg cars) the returns from getting a new pcp car every 2 years are likely to bring changes but few worthwhile improvements.
I forgot the worst one I waste money on that has no returns

:o:o:o around £3000 per year on cigarettes :o:o:o

That kind off makes a £1000 for a mobile phone look cheap :p

Permabanned
My first "smart" phone was an original Moto G that I bought new. I used it until it stopped getting Android updates, then I installed Cyanogenmod. When Cyanogenmod went **** up, I moved to LineageOS. Finally, the guy that was maintaining LineageOS for the Moto G dropped it. Meaning if I wanted updates, I had to do it myself or move to another phone. So after nearly seven years of use, late last year I bought a used Oneplus 5T and will use that until it stops receiving Android updates and when that happens I'll move onto LineageOS. Provided the phone doesn't die first.

The Moto G still works by the way. Only retired due to software. Even the battery will retain a charge all day. But heavy use will only give a few hours of use. But I was never far from somewhere it couldn't be plugged in.

Back
Top Bottom