**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
This looks like the best 128GB Ultra deal I can find, anyone found any better?

Mobile Phones Direct
Vodafone Unlimited Data
No upfront cost
£64.50 / month after cashback (total contract cost £1,548)
Other benefits: Spotify (I would value this at £10/month seeing as I pay that anyway), free Samsung buds (although everyone seems to be offering this)
£42 Quidco cashback

I'm looking at any network except O2, and would consider those with a large up front cost.

Hi, how do I go about getting this deal? I'm new to cashback so no idea how this works but this deal is the most appealing I have seen?

Soldato
Hi, how do I go about getting this deal? I'm new to cashback so no idea how this works but this deal is the most appealing I have seen?
1) Clear your browsing history (necessary to make sure your Quidco cashback is tracked).
2) Go to Quidco and make an account. Log in and find Mobile Phones Direct.
3) Click the Get Cashback link.
4) Find the deal I referenced above. It's currently the 5th one down when you click on Phones > Samsung S20 Ultra.
5) Click through and sign up for the contract.

You then need to claim the cashback.

For Quidco, your account should show some tracked cashback from Mobile Phone Direct. This usually shows up pretty soon after signing up for the contract, although this might take a couple of days. Occasionally it doesn't track (approx 5% of the time I would say), in which case you need to raise a support ticket on Quidco and they'll fix it for you. The cashback should be paid within 6 months to your Quidco account, after which you can transfer it to your bank.

Claiming the cashback offered by Mobile Phones Direct is a bit more awkward and involves you making a claim in months months 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18 of your contract. The claim usually just involves sending your latest Vodafone mobile phone bill to Mobile Phones Direct (they'll send you instructions as to what exactly you need to do). The cashback (£79 for each claim I think) is then paid to your bank account shortly after making the claim. For this, its just best to set up a couple of calendar reminders so you don't forget to claim. People forgetting to claim is essentially how these websites make their profit.

Soldato
No your not missing anything, i bought an s9 outright and traded it in for the S10 plus, loan was £494 for the S10+, £20.50p/m, no final payment.

Problem now is when you use the upgrade programme you get no discount or incentive for being an existing upgrade customer, you pay full amount for the phone albeit at 0% interest, I get nothing for my well looked after S10+

This seems to be a bit of an oversight by Samsung, other than the 0% finance there is no other reward for taking the upgrade programme second time round. The upgrade email confirms this

Strange considering they also ask you to confirm condition of the S10+ before accepting the new order. At the least we should get the remaining value of the S10+ that has not yet been paid off the S20+ or something.
May reconsider my own order now having thought it through.
Hmm that's a bit of a bugger! Cheers for confirming
It seems best to pay off the current plan with Klarna. Then do a trade in against the phone you want, seem to save £100-£150 this way. Also no upfront payment or final baloon payment either.

Samsung are assuming you didnt trade in a phone to get a lower price on the phone before. As if you trade in now on the upgrade program it's paying off the current finance left on the phone.

But if you traded in a phone last time round, then the finance you owe will be less than what Samsung are assuming. So we end up missing out.
Yeah I traded in my S8 for the S10
Call up up your carrier and request an e-sim. The pack comes with a printed QRcode which you scan and the settings are automatically added. ( manual instructions are also given on the card incase of any issues ).
Perfect thanks! Sounds simple enough

Soldato
What do you make of the curves on the screen? Is there anything you could compare it to?

It was very flat and almost no curve, a noticeable difference to my s8. I was pleased to see this as I feel as thought the curve on the display is one of the reasons why my s8 and other friends s8’s screens cracked so easily.

Any sign of the Samsung jankiness when scrolling up web pages or on the play store?

Not that I noticed. It felt fast, smooth and responsive. The responsiveness was very noticeable.

I was surprised to see s20 in the shops considering the release isn’t till next month, I think the s20 or s20+ might be my next phone.

Soldato
You'd have thought there wouldn't need to be any with all their 120hz refresh and 240hz touch response malarkey.

The Samsung jankiness is UI lag and it's like when the OS is loading something in the background. It's not related to the refresh rate (iPhones and other 60hz phones lack the Samsung jankiness).

Soldato
The Samsung jankiness is UI lag and it's like when the OS is loading something in the background. It's not related to the refresh rate (iPhones and other 60hz phones lack the Samsung jankiness).
Forgive me, I understand it is OS related but what I was getting at was Samsung put so much promo into the display and touch response that you'd expect them to sort out the jankiness, otherwise what's the point.

Soldato
Got a short hands on with an S20+ today. VERY nice!

The screen looks so good and the touch response seems amazing.

Quite a serious camera bump. But a thin case can sort that I guess.

Very nice overall!

Caporegime
Tempted to upgrade from the gs 8, trade in offer makes it a somewhat decent price (shame no galaxy buds + with the 4g model though), might wait as wouldn't be surprised to see the gs20 drop to £500 shortly enough given Samsung know that people aren't upgrading as often now....

Associate

Not noticed any jankiness as you put it on the note 10+ seems pretty slick very responsive, or maybe I don't notice as it's such a step up from the s8+

Soldato
Tempted to upgrade from the gs 8, trade in offer makes it a somewhat decent price (shame no galaxy buds + with the 4g model though), might wait as wouldn't be surprised to see the gs20 drop to £500 shortly enough given Samsung know that people aren't upgrading as often now....

The buds are only with the + and Ultra models, the standard S20 doesn't seem to get them at all, 4G or 5G.

Soldato
Am I not able to use the upgrade program and do a trade in at the same time?
If you mean to start as a 'new customer' without being an existing member of any upgrade program... Samsung told me this is not possible, and the website confirms... However with a lot of messing around I did somehow manage to accidentally get the website to allow me to do this but I suspect this was a bug, as I cannot reproduce it (I got all the way to the checkout page which detailed the finance agreement payment values, with balloon payment to indicate the upgrade program, and it showed that alongside the £350 off for my S10)

I actually ordered this 'configuration' and then cancelled it due to other reasons.

Soldato
No your not missing anything, i bought an s9 outright and traded it in for the S10 plus, loan was £494 for the S10+, £20.50p/m, no final payment.

Problem now is when you use the upgrade programme you get no discount or incentive for being an existing upgrade customer, you pay full amount for the phone albeit at 0% interest, I get nothing for my well looked after S10+

This seems to be a bit of an oversight by Samsung, other than the 0% finance there is no other reward for taking the upgrade programme second time round. The upgrade email confirms this

Strange considering they also ask you to confirm condition of the S10+ before accepting the new order. At the least we should get the remaining value of the S10+ that has not yet been paid off the S20+ or something.
May reconsider my own order now having thought it through.
I decided to leave my upgrade in place. I did actually cancel it and order instead as if I was trading in my S10 (was going to pay it off first) but then decided against it as I'd rather just have a tiny bit higher monthly payment than have to pay a lump sum now to pay off the S10 (mine is nearer to £310 to pay off for some reason also so was going to work out near enough identical by the end of it all).

So I re-placed my upgrade order haha

Associate
If you mean to start as a 'new customer' without being an existing member of any upgrade program... Samsung told me this is not possible, and the website confirms... However with a lot of messing around I did somehow manage to accidentally get the website to allow me to do this but I suspect this was a bug, as I cannot reproduce it (I got all the way to the checkout page which detailed the finance agreement payment values, with balloon payment to indicate the upgrade program, and it showed that alongside the £350 off for my S10)

I actually ordered this 'configuration' and then cancelled it due to other reasons.

I have been able to do it when I log into Samsung, not really sure if to go ahead with the S20+.

Soldato
I have been able to do it when I log into Samsung, not really sure if to go ahead with the S20+.
Ah yeah I just tested, that must have been what I done and seems to work if you sign in first :)

I wonder if that's a bug, as the samsung live chat rep told me you can't trade in and join the upgrade programme lol

Associate
Considering this as an option with the free buds for a pre-order. Get a discount at curry's which knocks the S20+ down from £999 to £934 , and with Vodafone can get 60gb , Unlimited Texts/Minutes for £26 a month. Total after 24months of £1,558 ... Are there better deals out there?

Edit : That includes Spotify (Worth £10 a month as would subscribe anyway)

Back
Top Bottom