Woman wins £545,000 house with a £2 raffle ticket

Caporegime
Wonder does she have to pay stamp duty and legal fees, lol.

Not usually, those tend to covered by the organisers along with a nice little profit for themselves too...

Most of these competitions tend to fail to sell enough tickets in order to award the house as a prize - for example this one failed to ward the house and gave some unspecified cash prize (which I can only assume was way, way below the target)

https://www.instagram.com/dancershillhouse/?hl=en

Soldato
Wonder does she have to pay stamp duty and legal fees, lol.

Probably ridiculous council tax as well, like many rural areas. Even though the council does FA for them.

Anyway, what's wrong with it? The previous owner couldn't sell it so there is bound to be something lurking :p

Last edited:
Soldato
What makes you think that? The biggest bill for people her age is generally rent... she's got a house mortgage free!

I didn't express my thinking very well. Bills, maintenance and general living in something like that on 17 grand a year would be tough.

Not to mention, its rural Shropshire, so transport links will be crap and neighbours like Chris Wilson :)

Caporegime
The previous owner couldn't sell it so came up with the harebrained raffle idea.

I guess if she sold it for a lot less than its value she will be laughing.

Id certainly be selling it ASAP and put the money towards a house i wanted :p

Caporegime
I didn't express my thinking very well. Bills, maintenance and general living in something like that on 17 grand a year would be tough.

Not to mention, its rural Shropshire, so transport links will be crap and neighbours like Chris Wilson :)

Fair point re: the last bit but again - on the first point why?

I'm aware you're talking about bills I just don't see why you think that would be an issue? She's mortgage free... there are people who have to pay rent in house shares or 1 bedroom flats etc.. on 17k... whereas she's just got to pay council tax and some bigger bills but no rent at all.

Its just a family home, it's not some huge mansion. Plenty of people her age are forking out 600-800 a month in rent alone... she's got no rent to pay at all and council tax doesn't vary by much/is generally in a narrow band.

Caporegime
She could rent out a couple of rooms... its not like 23 yr olds don't usually live in house/flat shares anyway.

Soldato
This seems like a great way of selling a house. I am surprised no one has setup companies doing this sort of thing?
Probably far riskier than the cars due to the amount of tickets needing selling plus all the potential problems withy the legal side.

Great for the girl. Definitely some problems with the property either physically or legally (or both!) that prevented it selling in the first place. Usually it would end up in an auction but they took a punt and it paid off

Soldato
And heres me only winning £1 a bunch of times on a 100K scratchcard :D

Good on her though,Personally id sell it and buy me something way smaller around the £150K range,Bank the rest. :)

Caporegime
Probably far riskier than the cars due to the amount of tickets needing selling plus all the potential problems withy the legal side.

Great for the girl. Definitely some problems with the property either physically or legally (or both!) that prevented it selling in the first place. Usually it would end up in an auction but they took a punt and it paid off

They set a minimum amount of tickets needed to be sold for the house to be raffled otherwise it is a cash prize.

Back
Top Bottom