Hyperx Cloud Alpha buzzing when the gfx card kicks in

Associate
I got a new Hyper X Cloud Alpha headset, worked fine for 3 weeks, no issues but today when i used it i noticed it buzzing rather loudly when the graphics card was being taxed, as soon as i opened a game the buzzing started. This is in the actual headset and not other people hearing it via the mic.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? NOTHING has changed, its the same game, same headset, same wires, no change in software.......i just dont understand.

Soldato
If you're using motherboard's integrated sound card those are known from vulnerability to EMI.
And as for why it started suddenly something like driver update (Wintoys10 could do that) could cause changes to graphics card's power draw behaviour.
Even frame rate limit changes could cause that.

Associate
OP
If you're using motherboard's integrated sound card those are known from vulnerability to EMI.
And as for why it started suddenly something like driver update (Wintoys10 could do that) could cause changes to graphics card's power draw behaviour.
Even frame rate limit changes could cause that.
Ok the thing im confused with is why is it only this headset? my old headset works perfectly, if it was EMI from the gfx card to the integrated sound card then surely it would be on all audio out? My speakers and old headset are fine but this Hyper X headset screams at me non stop. Its infuriating. I have updated all my drivers, rolled back the audio and nothing changes.

Soldato
Different headphones behave differently.
High impedance headphones aren't sensitive to interference (or circuitry background noise) with fixed voltage.
While low impedance headphones and especially also lower power needing ones are extremely sensitive for any voltage.
For example very fashionably named Audio-Technica M50x is ludicrously sensitive with 42mV signal giving 90 dB SPL.
Wouldn't wonder if you could get something just by touching ground wire with finger of one hand and "+" with finger of other hand...
Headphones needing 400mV for same SPL wouldn't care much about few mV of noise in signal.
Also line signal goes up to 2V and is typically at similar levels.

Though higher impedance headphones can apparently cause more EMI sensitivity with some circuitry designs.

Associate
OP
O got asked to touch my pc case to make sure i was touching ground and see if that helped but when i did that nothing changed, that means i was grounded, does that mean its not EMI? Im rather confused by all this.....i just dont understand how it can work for 3 weeks flawlessly then all of a sudden i have interference and not just a bit, its screaming through the headphones.

But then also the fact the mic has to be plugged in for it to buzz is weird, even if its turned off......does any of this make sense to you?

Soldato
If interference happens only when mic is connected could be that its wiring acts like antenna for EMI.

Also are you using front connectors of the case or mobo's rear connectors?

Associate
OP
If interference happens only when mic is connected could be that its wiring acts like antenna for EMI.

Also are you using front connectors of the case or mobo's rear connectors?
I have tried using both and both have the same issue, front or back or a mix of both. Tried with the cable extenders and without, same thing. Again my old headset and speakers are more than fine which makes it really weird.

I ordered one of those ground loop isolators for a few £ to try, if it doesnt work im going to try and return the headset i think.

Soldato
Have you tried connecting the headset to a smartphone or tablet?

Maybe the headset has developed a fault, if it was working fine before.

If it works fine with another device, then there is something odd going on. Ground loop isolator may help.

Associate
OP
Have you tried connecting the headset to a smartphone or tablet?

Maybe the headset has developed a fault, if it was working fine before.

If it works fine with another device, then there is something odd going on. Ground loop isolator may help.
Sorry for the late reply but i just got my ground noise isolator, plugged it into the headphone socket and the buzz is gone completely. I have no idea why it worked for a few weeks and then this started happening. I DO however has a slight buzz from the mic, as in others can hear it, i wonder if i got another isolator and used it on the mic it would remove that?

Any idea WHY that happens? Like what does a ground isolator do and why is it needed?

Back
Top Bottom