Full System needed

Soldato
I've considered this before (many times) but think I will pull the trigger and buy a new PC system next week (finding it hard to move from Mac but also finding it hard to justify the new Mac Pro at the spec I want).

So as I'll need pretty much everything ie PC, Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard I've put the budget at around £5500 total (give or take).

Looking at systems and being a little out of touch I'm not sure whether to go AMD or Intel.

System will be used for Photo & Video editing together with gaming. The monitor is also a hard decision ie 4K or a super wide.

Given the above what would you spec? Only thing I am sure of is a 2080Ti (which is best no idea). I may opt to build it myself but not sure I have the patience so may go pre/custom built.

Soldato
I've considered this before (many times) but think I will pull the trigger and buy a new PC system next week (finding it hard to move from Mac but also finding it hard to justify the new Mac Pro at the spec I want).

So as I'll need pretty much everything ie PC, Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard I've put the budget at around £5500 total (give or take).

Looking at systems and being a little out of touch I'm not sure whether to go AMD or Intel.

System will be used for Photo & Video editing together with gaming. The monitor is also a hard decision ie 4K or a super wide.

Given the above what would you spec? Only thing I am sure of is a 2080Ti (which is best no idea). I may opt to build it myself but not sure I have the patience so may go pre/custom built.
Maybe take a look at the 32 core threadripper as it will whizz through productivity and does pretty good in gaming also.

Soldato
Here's a rough idea of what you can get for your budget and needs:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £3,802.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

There's plenty left over for additional storage if needed and a monitor.

There's a focus on Gigabyte hardware due to them having a UK based customer support and RMA, there's even an active representative on these forums should you need any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely 4K to have proper screen real estate to do photo editing.
Similarly any work and also video editors benefit from proper vertical resolution.
Unfortunately monitor development has been poor for many years and marketroids have been rebanding same old.
While again in CES they had lots of talk, actual availability of higher refresh rate 4K monitors is till far away:
https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

Myself have had 30" 2560x1600 monitor for six years and just can't get any proper high end upgrade choise.
Because either resolution is downgrade, size is downgrade or refresh rate isn't going anywhere.

In graphics card's you won't be getting any future proofing no matter the price.
In fact it's all around historically bad time to buy expensive one.
Last few years Nvidia has focused into pumping user's butts... err prices and after £500 performance per price goes to bad and super bad.
That 2080 Ti is only 30-40% faster than sub £400 Radeon 5700 XT.
Also what marketing "forgets" to tell is that using marketing feature of RTX, raytracing, makes performance crash down with 30-50% penalty.
Wouldn't wonder any if by fall we'll be talking about better raytracing cards at half the price.
Next-gen consoles simply can't afford such bad raytracing performance from their GPUs.
So don't count on getting any return in actual performance/usage life comparable to pricing.

In CPUs situation is lot better with high core counts for heavy workloads and even upgrade path available from AMD.
Including desktop platform going to 16 cores/32 threads.

For gaming you'll also want proper level of that other part of immersion: Sound.
But with headphones it's riduculously cheap to get to godo immersion.
Good headphones for gaming from actual audio makers don't cost much.
And sound card to drive them and do binaural sound simulation doesn't cost any more.

Soldato
Got a spare £1.5k then pro 4K Adobe monitor

https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/photographer/sw320.html

Anyone that basis their lively hood on Adobe based products without 100% Adobe scale RGB monitors need to be slapped (personally ) . Had to re-edit all my wedding shots doe to photographer having the expensive cams and shoot skills but used a £400 laptop to edit ...

As for gaming at 4k

These are 144hz monitors.. handle both AMD and Nvidia so not brand tied .
All are 90% DCI-3P so least better then sRGB and show more greens . Have to hunt down aRGB coverage from reviews

Total: £3,766.91 (includes shipping: £28.02)
mobile-minimized.png

Gray's pretty much nails it, but would move to 24 core and spend on 64GB ram and TeamGroup 1TB NVMe or Sabrent Rocket 1TB to rival the BEST !

P600s offer good Airflow for Silence , but after the ultimate is a quiet case the Silent Base 900 !!!

2080ti is needed for 4k gaming , your not looking for max FPS - which is handy but lowest Frame rate. Above monitors allows you to play at 60fps Min hopefully with right setting tweaks that's still look above anything else that comes even a smidge close.

43" 4k 144hz monitor would be bloody sweet though for gaming and Adobe work !

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies, years ago I would not of had a problem in deciding what/knowing what to get. Now it just feels like a minefield, why can't one thing be good for everything lol. I look at reviews at they say a CPU is good for workstation/productivity but not so good at games same with the Monitors :(

Here's a rough idea of what you can get for your budget and needs:

Total: £3,802.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)

There's plenty left over for additional storage if needed and a monitor.

There's a focus on Gigabyte hardware due to them having a UK based customer support and RMA, there's even an active representative on these forums should you need any help.

That looks pretty good although I don't like the case and would probably choose the AORUS GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI XTREME card. I'd want at least 4TB of SSD so would swap things around a bit there too. That CPU is pretty expensive, I guess it's pretty good and from what I've heard AMD are starting to lead with CPU's now, although I said I would never buy AMD again (due to multiple faults with previous AMD stuff I've owned - mainly their GPUs) it looks like they are recommended now.

I can see this decision taking longer than I thought again!

Soldato
The monitor is also a hard decision ie 4K or a super wide.

Acer Nitro 4k, but with your budget you could manage both a 4K and a UW.

Total: £1,563.18 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Only thing I am sure of is a 2080Ti (which is best no idea).

Take a look at the 2080 Super - 90%+ of the performance for a lot less of the cost. Note also that Nvidia's next generation is expected later this year - perhaps in 6 months - so you may want to buy a cheaper GPU now and set aside £1000 for the halo card.

Soldato
Thanks for all the replies, years ago I would not of had a problem in deciding what/knowing what to get. Now it just feels like a minefield, why can't one thing be good for everything lol. I look at reviews at they say a CPU is good for workstation/productivity but not so good at games same with the Monitors :(

That looks pretty good although I don't like the case and would probably choose the AORUS GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI XTREME card. I'd want at least 4TB of SSD so would swap things around a bit there too. That CPU is pretty expensive, I guess it's pretty good and from what I've heard AMD are starting to lead with CPU's now, although I said I would never buy AMD again (due to multiple faults with previous AMD stuff I've owned - mainly their GPUs) it looks like they are recommended now.

I can see this decision taking longer than I thought again!

What actual program do you use for Video editing ? And it's it your main line of work ? (Judging it is by the budget )

Soldato
OP
What actual program do you use for Video editing ? And it's it your main line of work ? (Judging it is by the budget )

I use the adobe suite for Photo & Video so Lightroom/Photoshop, Premiere/After Effects. It's not my main line of work but I do fair bit and my current Mac system struggles a little with the video side of things and could do with an upgrade now that I'm using the A7R IV for stills too.

If I go the PC route I'd like to be able to play some games at a good speed/quality otherwise I may as well just keep to the Mac System and Consoles but it seems pretty hard to find something that is good at everything.

Soldato
I use the adobe suite for Photo & Video so Lightroom/Photoshop, Premiere/After Effects. It's not my main line of work but I do fair bit and my current Mac system struggles a little with the video side of things and could do with an upgrade now that I'm using the A7R IV for stills too.

If I go the PC route I'd like to be able to play some games at a good speed/quality otherwise I may as well just keep to the Mac System and Consoles but it seems pretty hard to find something that is good at everything.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...formance-AMD-Threadripper-3990X-64-Core-1659/

^^^ why I stated dropping the above mentioned build for 24 cores instead of 32 etc

Unlike Da Vinci Resolve , GPU doesn't effect to much !

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-NVIDIA-SUPER-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT-1564/

Ryzen/thread ripper, speed over ram amount, intel the other way around

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Does-RAM-speed-affect-video-editing-performance-1528/

After effects , again 24 core keeping strong

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ore-X-10000-vs-AMD-Threadripper-3rd-Gen-1628/

GPU after effects
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-NVIDIA-SUPER-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT-1553/

What's your current Mac specs ? And plot against the above ? Keep in mind those results aren't using 3600hz ram !

Last edited:
Soldato
Dropping to the 24C Threadripper over the 32C will save you a good £500 to put elsewhere, if the software you're using doesn't benefit so much from using more cores/threads then the 3960X seems to be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the OP needed 4TB of SSD storage also, but I imagine there will be enough left in the budget.

You can actually get 2TB Sabrent Rocket NvME's for £249 at the moment, a couple of them would do the trick, although you could also opt for a single NvME and a SATA drive which would save you a fair bit.

If you want to stick to OCUK the best priced and in stock high capacity NvME I've found (that doesn't use QLC) seems to be:

Total: £278.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom