Police InfoSec - Epic Fail

Soldato
I noticed this yesterday and thought it must have been a joke/ fake news. :eek:

The UK's National Crime Agency has publicly distanced itself from a poster urging parents to call police if their child has installed Kali Linux, Tor or – brace yourself – Discord.

Issued by the West Midlands Regional Organised Crime Unit (WMROCU) via local area councils, the poster in question lists a slack handful of common infosec tools – as well as some that clearly have nothing to do with computer security.

Should your child install Kali Linux, virtual machines (the image on the poster looks like Virtualbox) or internet privacy tool Tor, West Midlands Police wants to know immediately. And if – Heaven forfend – your sprog installs Metasploit to learn how to secure code, uses free chat service for gamers Discord, or gets a Wi-Fi Pineapple for research, you may as well report straight to your nearest prison and abandon your tainted offspring forever

https://twitter.com/G_IW/status/1227700420178567170

B34nC00.jpg

Caporegime
'Your child talking to other people is a sign of criminality'

Ignoring that, this simply can't and wont resonate with the average parent, IT security is practically non-existent knowledge to the majority of the country.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I've played games with a lot of toxic people on Reddit's Discords so I support early intervention.

Soldato
Isn't that Discord part defamation?

Is it false information? That depends. Are you saying hackers definitely don't use Discord to share tips?

Whilst i get the response to this, as with the above example, I don't know it's not correct? It would be a huge mistake to find any of this software and then assume your child is a hacker (but maybe given my above quoted forum users response, I guess some Parents might be that stupid?) but at the same time, is it not a bad idea to say 'just keep an eye on what your child is doing'. Having said that, I notice it says to 'let them know' if you see any of this software... so maybe the reaction is justified as that's a pretty stupid request to make.

Soldato
but maybe given my above quoted forum users response, I guess some Parents might be that stupid?

As my Mum always used to say..

Average IQ is only 100!

"Most" people today really are not capable of managing the IT world that is now an integral part of their lives (Whether they really want it or not)

Criticising them and simply dismissing them as stupid is really not reasonable! :/

Soldato
Bliimey, they'd have a heart attack seeing my lab setup. :)

How strange, considering there are schemes actively encouraging young people to turn their hand to InfoSec given the skills shortage.

Soldato
Remember people.

This is 2020 #Wokeworld where the authorities seem to have nothing better to do than go around harassing people for wrongthink and the possibility that they might have committed not-crimes!

Back
Top Bottom