Buying a used car for son

Soldato
Had a look at the car and looks in very good condition with full service record, clear MOT. The seller however is not the registered keeper. Bought the car from a family friend recently. Should I ask that I meet at least with the registered keeper (confirm ID etc)? Reason for not registering is that he was going to sell the car anyway once the one he ordered arrived.
I would want to meet the registered
Keeper
And at the address the cars registered
To be honest
Though it may all be totally above board

Soldato
Had a look at the car and looks in very good condition with full service record, clear MOT. The seller however is not the registered keeper. Bought the car from a family friend recently. Should I ask that I meet at least with the registered keeper (confirm ID etc)? Reason for not registering is that he was going to sell the car anyway once the one he ordered arrived.

Where did he meet you? Sounds like a small time trader to me trying to get round the rules on actually trading. If he pretends its private, he can sell with no recourse. If he's a trader and sells you a lemon then you have recourse.

Trust me the reg, I'll do a few checks for you on the car if you like (I work in the trade).

Associate
Does sound a bit fishy, not full on box of old kippers but perhaps a single fillet of hake or something. I'd probably wait until the V5 is in his name, or as others/you suggest ask to meet the reg keeper before handing money over (also, ask for some photo ID that they're who they say they are).

Underboss

what ?

AVOID tbh

sounds dodgy to me

Associate
OP
All ok. Now looking to buy some mechanical protection warranty. Any recommendations? Got a quote from a local dealer of £600 for 2 years.

Associate
What car have you bought?
How old is it?
What does this warranty supposedly cover?
Are there regular problems with that car based on age / mileage / etc?

I think the rule of thumb is that unless the warranty is provided by original manufacturer they really aren't worth the bother, and it's going to depend on how much the car is worth vs the prospective cost of fixing, etc.

Caporegime
Fairly new, expensive, premium marque, automatic, candidate for worst possible first car... :p

Needs to be cheap, cheap parts, manual. :p

Unless I've misunderstood this whole thread and it isn't his first car.

Soldato
All ok. Now looking to buy some mechanical protection warranty. Any recommendations? Got a quote from a local dealer of £600 for 2 years.

Warranties rarely tend to be worth the paper they're written on.

The one that the local dealer has offered, has he provided you with a list of exemptions and things that they will cover. You'll typically find any component that degrades through wear and tear wil not be covered.

Associate
OP
Warranties rarely tend to be worth the paper they're written on.

The one that the local dealer has offered, has he provided you with a list of exemptions and things that they will cover. You'll typically find any component that degrades through wear and tear wil not be covered.

The usual "it covers everything that is not the expected wear and tear" but I asked for the detailed policy so I can have a good read as i don't trust verbal reassurances that there is no early claims excess, or the cost of diagnostics is covered, or consequential damage cover is included etc. If true it seems a good offer.

Associate
OP
Received a call from dealer apologising for the car not being ready for collection (4 days after payment). Should i ask for my money back until the car is actually ready to collect?

Soldato
If you buy private, bring a mechanic along.
Caveat emptor

Speaking as such

Most professional mechanics will not want to go anywhere near the can of worms that this scenario might present!

Back to OP....

Back in the 1970's, My parents attitude was basically "I want the biggest strongest car that we can afford"

I got a MkIV Zodiac, my younger brother 5 years later got an XJ12!

But insurance really was a different world back then!

:(

Back
Top Bottom