LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
OP
Not sure about it being better in every way. IMHO, it probably won't be as good as the 950G in terms of gaming performance. The G-Sync module offers some advantages in terms of sync range and eliminating overshoot in all monitors I've seen.

Will that be noticeable to the average gamer though? I don't know, but I doubt it would impact the enjoyment of gaming for most. I suspect those who are super sensitive to such things wouldn't find the 38GL950G acceptable as a gaming monitor in the first place, and they'd be looking at something far more 'pro-gamer' oriented.

Associate
Will that be noticeable to the average gamer though? I don't know, but I doubt it would impact the enjoyment of gaming for most. I suspect those who are super sensitive to such things wouldn't find the 38GL950G acceptable as a gaming monitor in the first place, and they'd be looking at something far more 'pro-gamer' oriented.

True - I don't think the average gamer will care much. Given the pricing of these monitors though, they're targeted more towards the enthusiast crowd.

For me, it'd come down to pricing. I'm not sure what the 38WN95C will cost, but if there's only like a 10% difference in price, I think I'd still get the 950G knowing that having the hardware module is usually superior for gaming. HDR600 support isn't very exciting to me as that's still well below the recommended spec of 1000 nits.

But it's also possible the advantages offered by the hardware module here end up being very small, we won't know for sure until TFTcentral reviews the newer model.

Soldato
and it has thunderbolt 3 for charging and display signal as well.
This is the main thing I noticed as it makes it much more future proof

I be very surprised if the new sony & Microsoft consoles no come with a USB-C output or USB-C thunderbolt 3 output
As lots of the laptops I looked at now have a USB-C thunderbolt 3 output

Associate
Highly doubt the 38WN95C will be anywhere near as good as the 950G in terms of gaming performance.

You can already tell by its generic product page, nothing gaming related. For other use it might be better, HDR content, editing, etc. But to me it seems the 950G is was made to be ultrafast for the gamer, the response the input lag, etc is all in the pro gaming monitor region, just go look at the TFT central review.

No way in hell this new 38WN95C will be anywhere near as close to the 950G in terms of raw speed, response for a gamer.

Plus the g-sync moduls really is better than a Freesync or g-sync compatible monitor. I just came from a high end Freesync 2 HDR monitor to the 950G

Associate
38WN95C isn't even an UltraGear series model, its an "UltraWide" Professional series monitor. Dunno why you would compare this to a model made specifically for gaming and classified as a gaming monitor.

The real comparison would be the 38GN950 when that comes out, hopefully with the WN95C, which is the same panel but tuned for gaming. 160hz OC and VRR.

Associate
Is the warranty 2 years for the LG 389gl950g in the UK?

One would hope so for a 389 inch ultrawide ;)

In all seriousness, one would hope that would be the minimum on something this price. I've had my current ultrawide (29UM68-P) 4 years, so I'd like to own this new one for at least that long without issues.

Associate
Highly doubt the 38WN95C will be anywhere near as good as the 950G in terms of gaming performance.
Unless they deliberatly gimp it, it is still the same panel with very good response times.

Although I am almost at "shut up and take my money" stage after reading tftcentral and techspot reviews of 38GL950G, I think I don't want to go ultrawide yet. Might be swayed by 38WN95C still...

Back
Top Bottom