20k mileage a year petrol or diesel

Permabanned
Mileage is about to rise to 20k a year.
Currently running a petrol e90 325i the mpg is not great. However the car has been nothing but reliable touch wood.

Would it be worth getting a diesel at that mileage or stick with the e90 ?

Associate
what mpg are you getting? The difference between a 30mpg and 40mpg car is about £1k per year. So if you're going to spend £10k switching a car to save £1k a year then no, it's not worth it.

Soldato
If you're doing 20k miles and it's motorway then your MPG will probably increase from 35. I used to get 38 on long motorway stretches in my Z4 23i and that was a juicy NA straight 6.

ADT

ADT

Associate
I do similar mileage. Started doing it in a w204 c class petrol which achieved 38mpg average.

I have a 1.6 golf tdi now which achieves 64mpg average.

I’ve gone from filling up every week to every two weeks.

i would switch.

Soldato
If op has a driveway would it not be better for him to change to an electric car if his doing this high mileage per year ?

Or is the cost of buying an electric car too much :confused:

Caporegime
Do people assume annual mileage is divided by 365 to get the daily journey and base recommendation on that

you could drive it once a month but do 1500 mile trip. A diesel would be much better on this case

Soldato
Why would you charge it from a 3 pin though? 55 miles daily would only take a few hours on a 7kw wall box.

Anyway, 20k is well in the diesel category. The cheaper option generally to run what you have but if you are going up upgrade then diesel or electric would be the way to go. That said in the electric camp the only things that can manage close to 300 miles is the Model 3, Kona, Nero or Model S/X and they are all a decent wedge of cash or unavailable.

Associate
Do people assume annual mileage is divided by 365 to get the daily journey and base recommendation on that

you could drive it once a month but do 1500 mile trip. A diesel would be much better on this case

My mileage varies as I don't commute but I suppose a lot of people do commute the same journey. For me, it just wouldn't work and that long trip to the alps, Scotland, Cornwall etc. also will be that much more inconvenient. It will change, but not today...

Permabanned
OP
Ok so brimmed again and its showing 440 miles.

Had 48 miles left before I filled up and managed 397miles

Looking at around 450 miles to a tank on a 325i.

Again is it worth chopping in for a diesel I am not sure ?

She never lets me down .

Associate
You say it's never let you down before? But it's not been doing 20k a year before.
I'd still keep it though. I don't think it's worth changing. I do a bit more than 20k a year and I average about 49-50 in my golf GTD (mostly A and B roads).
The only reason I changed to the diesel is that I had an evo 10 before and I was averaging about 23mpg. A bit of a no brainer in my case.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ok so brimmed again and its showing 440 miles.

Had 48 miles left before I filled up and managed 397miles

Looking at around 450 miles to a tank on a 325i.

Again is it worth chopping in for a diesel I am not sure ?

She never lets me down .
Doesnt look worth swapping to me, i dont get much better out of my E350 diesel depending on how large your fuel tank is..

The only cars which will be noticeably better than that will be tiny 4cyl diesels.

Back
Top Bottom