**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
255/35/20 doesnt seem particularly bad for rubber price wise £120 seems to be decent branded rubber as i said the MP4s are £150 a corner but its a diesel taxi, it doesnt really need Super high performance rubber to trundle up and down the motorway all day a decent branded tyre will be fine.

that said an extra £30 a corner really isnt a big difference, just curious to see what the options are

as long as its not the standard Dunlops

Bugger just missed costco offering £50 cashback when you buy 2 michelins offer, would have brought the MPS4s down to £125 a corner or there abouts, no brainer at that price. cracking tyre/price

I'm going to go against the grain here and say don't go for the MPS4S if you drive a taxi. Yes they last a decent amount of time, but they come with the trade off that they are noisier, and they are harsher than the regular UHP tyres like the PC6, GY Eagle F1 A5. This is something you put up with if you enjoy a razor sharp turn in on a fast corner, excellent mid corner stability when you're pushing the car to it's limits and tyres that better resist overheating on track - but if you're not really going to benefit from that - you're just stuck with the negative points about the tyre.

From researching quite a lot in the last couple of weeks, for this type of car, I'd go for the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's. They are a big step up from the already excellent Asymmetric 3's and are well up there with the best, but they are also a really really competitive price.

EDIT: Scratch that, just checked and Goodyear haven't gone above 19" for the A5's tyre sizes yet :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: It seems that that tyre size kinda sucks - apart from the Michelin PS4S, all of the other tyres are at least a generation old. There is no Premium Contact 6, no Michelin PS4, no Asymmetric 5. There is the new Pirelli but it is hugely expensive, and there is the ContiSportContact 6 but they are made of cheese and will last about 10 miles before needing to be replaced again.

Seems like the PS4S might be your best option afterall

Last edited:
Associate
For anyone wondering about the Rainsport 5's they're definitely a good step up from the 3's.

Sidewall is much stiffer (3's were far too soft/wallowy) steering feels better, handling just as good and plenty of grip :)

Haven't tried the MP4's to compare but struggling to see what I'd gain vs the cheaper Rainsports to be honest.

Soldato
I put cheap apollo aspire XP's on the rear of my crown and they're quite decent for what I paid for them. Don't get me wrong they're not at the level of PS4's that I got my s2k etc but they handle the car much better than yokohamas I had before.

Soldato
Is there any guaranteed way to find out if a tyre is a run flat? Wife's Mini needs a new front tyre because of a tracking issue, I assumed BMW/Mini came with run flats but there is no indication that they actually are.

They are Michelin and there is ZP that I can see.

Soldato
Is there any guaranteed way to find out if a tyre is a run flat? Wife's Mini needs a new front tyre because of a tracking issue, I assumed BMW/Mini came with run flats but there is no indication that they actually are.

They are Michelin and there is ZP that I can see.

Run flats aren't standard on most of the Mini hatch models only an option, the tyre will have run flat printed on the sidewall if it is one.

Depending on the current tread level you might need to replace both front tyres. I wouldn't want more than 1-2mm difference on them.

Soldato
Run flats aren't standard on most of the Mini hatch models only an option, the tyre will have run flat printed on the sidewall if it is one.

Depending on the current tread level you might need to replace both front tyres. I wouldn't want more than 1-2mm difference on them.

Yeah will be swapping both fronts.

I have looked all over the 4 tyres can't see run flat or ZP on them anywhere.

Mustn't have come with them, the Mini dealer did say they were run flats when we bought the car because I didn't want them haha.

Associate
Anyone have any issues with Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres cracking and splitting? My 3 year old Skoda which has covered 40k miles just failed it's MOT as the original Dunlop's are all cracking and have split's. A quick google reveals it's a known issue's with then on Jaguar's.

Soldato
Can you buy the tyres and not fit them?

I want to store them in the garage.

It says you have to pay for fitting when you checkout?
I'm having them fitted. Only £7ish per tyre extra.
All 4 of mine are at approx 1 - 1.5mm so are needing to be changed

I have seen people carry them out, might have to purchase them in store?

Soldato
I never thought of looking at Costco for tyres!

£111 each for PS4s in my size or £100 for Eagle F1 Assy 5. Which should I go for, if I should go for either of these over my current Conti PC6s?

Soldato
£170 for two?!

Costco is selling them at pretty much £50 each plus fitting. Black circles are making some money eh

For two aye.

That's including fitting but it's still expensive.

Next time I'll look into getting a mates Costco card.

Why can't garages ever get my stearing wheel straight and wheel balance perfect.

Mechanics generally seem to not give a ****.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom