Upgrade thermostat?

Caporegime
New house has an annoying thermostat /timer combo

There's a very basic digital hot water /heating digital unit near boiler with an on/off time

The thermostat in the entrance hall is an old rotating dial

Ideally I want to replace the thermostat in the hall with a 'does it all 'unit

In our old rental we had one of these me it was great. All days of the week could be programmed.

How difficult is this job ?

Associate
I brought our Tado with us to the new house. Got the thermostat and bridge working fine but having a minor mare with the extension box needed to control boiler. Last place had a programmer and hot water tank so didn’t need the extension. New one is combo and some Drayton RF unit so had to email Tado for instructions on setup. I’m sure once they reply it will be an easy fix. It’s only about 4 wires to do.

not the cheapest solution but certainly can be diy if competent. Tado are great for helping out and giving a guide on what to do based on your current setup.

Caporegime
just get a smart themostat from nest or the likes.

using old tech in this day and age is pointless as is replacing old tech with more old tech.

embrace smart home tech.

Associate
New house has an annoying thermostat /timer combo

There's a very basic digital hot water /heating digital unit near boiler with an on/off time

The thermostat in the entrance hall is an old rotating dial

Ideally I want to replace the thermostat in the hall with a 'does it all 'unit

In our old rental we had one of these me it was great. All days of the week could be programmed.

How difficult is this job ?

Most smart thermostats are wireless. This means your existing thermostat becomes redundant. Taking 2 examples:

1. The Nest Thermostat E hub would fit in your existing thermostat's location and control the boiler on and off. The thermostat itself can then be placed anywhere. It does not control hot water (if you have a combi, this is a moot point).

2. The Nest 3rd Gen hub requires it's own L and N, and so is not suitable to be placed where your existing thermostat is. You can either remove the existing thermostat and join the 2 wires together, and have the thermostat itself located anywhere in the house on a charging base. OR, you can repurpose the existing wires to your thermostat to charge the unit directly on the wall using 12V.

Back
Top Bottom