***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
@Ceryndrion - Isn't the rule for number of guitars to own the same as clients have for bikes? Always n+1

Interested in the sentimental custom build, any info?

You are not wrong about the rule for the number of guitars, but sometimes its worth rotating things out in order to make way for something new.

As to the custom build. Well, A few months ago, I started looking around for ideas as to something that would have meaning for me, and with which I could remember my grandparents who both passed away in short order in early 2018 (they were in their 90s so not unexpected, but still). I started out thinking that what I wanted to do, was buy a guitar that I would never think of normally, so gave some consideration to something like a fender custom shop, but then I stumbled across a small UK based company (Gordon Smith Guitars), and the service that they offer in terms of being able to specify the details of what I wanted just blew me away, woods, colours, design, pickups (wound by themselves), fretwork etc.. and the price was impressively reasonable. Lead time of 8 to 12 weeks, but for something bespoke that is handmade (not CNC) by a small UK company that originally came from the same area as my grandparents, I couldn't resist. As they put it, if you can dream it, they can build it.

In the end, I've ordered a Graduate 60 (les paul style with carved top), mahogany body and neck, walnut top, rosewood fingerboard, S.Steel frets, tortoiseshell binding, locking tuners, p90 pickups, black burst colouring, gloss front, satin back and neck, with the burst extended to the back and headstock. Cost me about £1700 and well worth it in my opinion, now is just a case of waiting for it to be completed, but the last time I spoke with them, they told me that it was coming along nicely.

They don't blow their own trumpets, they just let their work speak for itself.. and they are a very friendly bunch too..

Soldato
Well I'm still on the quest for a new Electro-Acoustic, having not owned one for many years... had my eye on a Faith one (Venus or Neptune) but popped into the guitar store while Mrs.R was getting her haircut last weekend and asked the guy for recommendations in the 500 - 1k range, mentioned I was thinking about the Faiths. He brought out a Venus but then said he'd recommend a Taylor 114CE - I was kind of surprised because my impression had always been that Taylors (and Martins for that matter) would be well out of that price range but not only was it about £700 it was absolutely lovely to play and sounded incredible... A/B-ing it with the Faith (similar price) there was just no contest at all, the Taylor absolutely blows it away. Interesting looking as well - they apparently are aiming for "sustainability" with it by accepting woods with irregular grain (that would normally be discarded) - the one I tried had an ebony fingerboard but it had this quite wonderful dark brown figuring running through it (and usually ebony boards have to be all-black or they get thrown out)

Just need to finish saving the cash now, but I think I'm sold!

Man of Honour
and another new toy to take over from my Roland GR-55.
With this one I can plug my guitar enabled GK3 pickup in and also a normal acoustic guitar at the same time.

Boss GP-10.jpg

Caporegime
Man, these limited edition raw ash Performer strats are truly a thing of beauty. Colour is great, but there's something very special about the natural finish. If I had a spare grand, I'd pick one up just for hanging on the wall lol!

Y68Wy0Oh.png.jpg

Dup

Dup

Soldato
So, this (Marhall 2195) has been dumped by a neighbour so offered to take it in. Been left in an outbuilding for quite a few years so not sure if it'll ever work, certainly looks like it won't, but might crack it open and see what the damage is.

sxtRSr8h.jpg

Don't think it's anything desirable. I don't actually have an amp outside of my PC and headphones so might be useful if it can be revived cheaply. I'd have to find or build a cheap cab to know if it works mind you, might not be worth the effort.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
What model is it?
Looks like a 2195.
And you can't get valves in there.

Yeah, 2195. Yep, no valves just solid state so nothing to write home about. Will see if I can get it running, colleague is going to run a multimeter over it before we try it.

Just opened it up. Doesn't seem too bad. Chassis is rusty and power connector needs a require but rest seems fine. Looks like someone's replaced a pot for a cheap one at some point.

Funny thing, found a matching 2196 cab for sale when looking up what would go with it. Has "Ron" written on the inside. So does this amp! Seems he did some graft back in 1977.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not still growing the collection then? Which guitars do you gravitate to most often?

I have 7 guitars in total lol I think that's enough for now! I play this tele the most, perhaps its because it's relic anyway, I won't notice another scratch lol

It's a Palir Titan, only weights 7.4lbs, that PRS 305 there is actually lighter if you believe that, so is the Custom 24 too. PRS makes really light guitars.

p.s. I did almost buy a Fender Vintera Strat last month when Guitar Village had a 20% off....but managed to stop myself because I really have far too much gear.

bLkyxeM.jpg

6xJmJjt.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom