Is this build still good?

Associate
Edit for clarity: The basket below is what Im considering buying for my new computer. I just want to know if I should go ahead and buy it or if I should get something different.

So last year I asked for help with a new computer build and as my graphics card died yesterday, I wanted to see if the build was still any good, or if there were any parts I should swap out.

As for budget, I pretty much dont really want to spend any more than what's currently in my basket as it's on the expensive side for me, but I could go up to £850 if necessary.

Anyways, here's the build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £826.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would help if you listed your current build :)
Umm, I did copy my basket into my post? Is it not showing up for you?

Just incase you can't see it, it's:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail= £154.99
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard= £98.99
TeamGroup 480GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive= £59.99
PowerColor Radeon RX VEGA 56 Red Dragon 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card= £278.99
Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TDGED4= £79.99
Corsair RM Series RM650 650W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020194-UK)= £82.99
Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Mid-Tower PC Case - Black= £57.95

If you mean what I'm currently using, my current computer is 7 years old and the graphics card literally just died last night. I had to pull it out of the case to even have it complete POST -_-. So yeah, Im completely replacing it as it's getting kinda slow and I want something that can play things like Warframe at more than 6 FPS. (Yeah that's what the intergrated graphics chip is giving me when I try to play now xD)

Caporegime
Umm, I did copy my basket into my post? Is it not showing up for you?

Just incase you can't see it, it's:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail= £154.99
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard= £98.99
TeamGroup 480GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive= £59.99
PowerColor Radeon RX VEGA 56 Red Dragon 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card= £278.99
Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TDGED4= £79.99
Corsair RM Series RM650 650W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020194-UK)= £82.99
Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Mid-Tower PC Case - Black= £57.95

If you mean what I'm currently using, my current computer is 7 years old and the graphics card literally just died last night. I had to pull it out of the case to even have it complete POST -_-. So yeah, Im completely replacing it as it's getting kinda slow and I want something that can play things like Warframe at more than 6 FPS. (Yeah that's what the intergrated graphics chip is giving me when I try to play now xD)
He meant what you currently have, but if it really is 7 years old there’ll be little worth carrying over.

Soldato
Edit for clarity: The basket below is what Im considering buying for my new computer. I just want to know if I should go ahead and buy it or if I should get something different.

So last year I asked for help with a new computer build and as my graphics card died yesterday, I wanted to see if the build was still any good, or if there were any parts I should swap out.

As for budget, I pretty much dont really want to spend any more than what's currently in my basket as it's on the expensive side for me, but I could go up to £850 if necessary.

Anyways, here's the build:

Total: £826.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Thanks in advance.

Better SSDs for the same price:

Total: £128.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Even better would be obtaining a WD Blue SN500 NVME 500GB elsewhere for same price. Not that you'll notice much difference, just a matter of getting the best for your money.

As for graphics card, depends on monitor (resolution + refresh rate). Vega is now a little old. Not a bad price but the RTX 2060 for same money trades blows with it, and uses less power. The Vega 56 Red Dragon is long, and the tall drive cage in the Carbide 100R will block a lot of air from the front. Will be toasty.

Associate
OP
He meant what you currently have, but if it really is 7 years old there’ll be little worth carrying over.
Well the new stuff is 7 years old, which basically boils down to the motherboard and cpu now, as everything else was carried over from an older computer :)

I genuinely have no idea what kind of PSU I have (It's some kind of corsair modular thing), same with the RAM (though I think it might be DDR2 or 3?) as I brought them sometime between 9 to 13 years ago, as for the mobo and cpu, according to OcUK I brought them in January of 2013, and they are a Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail and a Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard. Either way, as I pretty much no longer trust them (with the mobo, the front USB ports have failed, and the onboard graphics are giving me flickers right now), I'm replacing everything.

As for graphics card, depends on monitor (resolution + refresh rate). Vega is now a little old. Not a bad price but the RTX 2060 for same money trades blows with it, and uses less power. The Vega 56 Red Dragon is long, and the tall drive cage in the Carbide 100R will block a lot of air from the front. Will be toasty.

The case has features I want (basically it's plain, the buttons and connectors are on the front and not on the top, and it has sound dampening)

Monitor wise I have a Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" 1920x1200 IPS Widescreen LED Monitor and a Asus SonicMaster MX239H 23" Widescreen Ultra Slim Bezel LED Monitor. The Dell conects via DVI, though I have a DVI to HDMI adaptor for that, and the Sonicmaster connects via HDMI. Also the Dell apparently has a displayport, but it might only be v1.1.

So when you were thinking an RTX, were you thinking of something like a GeForce RTX 2060 OC Rev2 6144MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Asus SonicMaster MX239H as well. Now my spare after getting a 1440p 144Hz. It would overclock to 74Hz max and I had it set to 72Hz for years without issues. Helped a bit in some games. I remember noticing the difference in GTA V while driving and taking corners. 60Hz would make me a bit dizzy.

Anyway, a £200 1660 Super would be absolutely fine for that res/refresh. If you're looking at RTX 2060 anyway, the Gigabyte you referenced is a good choice, as is the Zotac Twin with 5 years of warranty (if you register).

You might want a £25-30 CPU cooler, better and quieter than the stock Ryzen 3600 one, particularly as you want noise-reduction. If you have any pennies left in the budget. But watch out for clearance as the Carbide 100R only takes 150mm height.

Alpenfohn Ben Nevis, Cryorig M9Plus and Arctic Freezer e33 (not the e34) are some of the few decent choices that would fit.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have the Asus SonicMaster MX239H as well. Now my spare after getting a 1440p 144Hz. It would overclock to 74Hz max and I had it set to 72Hz for years without issues. Helped a bit in some games. I remember noticing the difference in GTA V while driving and taking corners. 60Hz would make me a bit dizzy.

Anyway, a £200 1660 Super would be absolutely fine for that res/refresh. If you're looking at RTX 2060 anyway, the Gigabyte you referenced is a good choice, as is the Zotac Twin with 5 years of warranty (if you register).

You might want a £25-30 CPU cooler, better and quieter than the stock Ryzen 3600 one, particularly as you want noise-reduction. If you have any pennies left in the budget. But watch out for clearance as the Carbide 100R only takes 150mm height.

Alpenfohn Ben Nevis, Cryorig M9Plus and Arctic Freezer e33 (not the e34) are some of the few decent choices that would fit.
Thanks for looking up coolers :) To be honest I think for now I'll just stick with the stock cooler, but if I think it's too loud in a couple of months I can always replace it with one of your suggestions.

As for graphics cards, I'll have to seriously think about getting a 1660 Super instead as as far as I can tell it's roughly comparable to a 2060 (just a bit worse) and in all honesty the most graphically intensive thing I'm gonna play with it is probably Warframe for the foreseeable future :) I was thinking maybe a Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Twin Fan 6144MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card?

Back
Top Bottom