RC cars

Caporegime
This popped up on my YouTube feed today - seems the Mojave is popular
I had a traxxas slash at one point with upgraded brushless motor from castle that went like 60-70mph never really seemed that fast but the torque was insane.
could be going like 40mph across a wet grass field, hit full throttle and draw 2 muddy long lines where the wheels made contact
same setup as this guy but he has different pinion for slower gearing
skip to 5:31
I think I only kept it for like 2 weeks after I upgraded it as well, but the traxxas slash was dire at cornering, car would flip over it you weren't careful.
took quite a beating though and never broke anything

Soldato
Made some more bedtat and got a driver too! Still need some painting though. WIP.

bedtat4.jpg

bedtat5.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a decent starter RC car that doesn't cost the earth?

It's going to be a present for my 2 kids (7 & 9) and I was hoping for something that isn't going to break the bank but still be a decent enough quality so it doesn't break the first time it crashes!

Has anyone got and suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

Associate

It's going to be a present for my 2 kids (7 & 9) and I was hoping for something that isn't going to break the bank but still be a decent enough quality so it doesn't break the first time it crashes!

All depends what you want on road or off road also it's also worth going in your local hobby shop to see if spare parts are easily available

Can get plenty of brushed rtr kits that you can upgrade to brushless if you want some extra speed

Soldato

Budget? On road or off road?

Soldato
All depends what you want on road or off road also it's also worth going in your local hobby shop to see if spare parts are easily available

Can get plenty of brushed rtr kits that you can upgrade to brushless if you want some extra speed

Sorry but I don't even know what "brushed" relates to! (complete noob I'm afraid!)

Budget? On road or off road?

No real idea on budget - ideally I guess I'd like it to be sub-£100 but I don't know what can be had for that sort of money! Probably off-road preferred!

Soldato
Sorry but I don't even know what "brushed" relates to! (complete noob I'm afraid!)

No real idea on budget - ideally I guess I'd like it to be sub-£100 but I don't know what can be had for that sort of money! Probably off-road preferred!

Something like the WLToys range, 12428. Seems to be plenty of spares and hopups available on the bay/amazon/drop shippers.

Soldato
Seen a few other references to this place but no details of what parts. Although seems to be lots of custom billet parts so buy the time I spend out on them I could probably just pick up a new RTR truck.
yeah i would do tvp's and centre diff mod, you would need a centre diif, battery boxes. it can get expensive though.

Soldato
with all this lockdown stuff, im getting back into the rc models, dad and i ran the small ftx surge models in the garden for a wee bit during the last week, tried the bandit and just nope.... way too powerful :p

we have 2 tamiya grass hoppers on the way which should be the ultimate 380 size motor garden basher and 2 going about, dad used to have a grass hopper but he sold it to some **** when i was a kid who put a strong 540 in it and trashed it lol :)

dad had been bringing life back to old nimh batterys all night and i found my starter box for my hyper 7 which had 2 5300mah nimhs in it :D oh yeh one of them will run a 380 grass hopper all day long :D

just done getting the 2 5300 mah nimhs back to life and charged :D

Last edited:
Soldato

First off if they are like me you need 2 RC cars. WLToys is a good shout as its borderline Toy grade but there are spares and upgrade kits available. I always upgrade the shocks on mine as I know they will get hammered.

Not touched my RC vehicles for a year or two so as I had time this week decided to go through my mini fleet and do some checking, maintenance and repair. Enthusiasts remember this is a "Dad and kids" collection :) When I have the time and money going to go old school and get some "proper kits".

Forgot to include my Tanks in the picture and my WLToys Q282. The top two are 1:10 Himoto's that my kids are currently using (age 7 and 10) so they have one each.
Fleet1.jpg

Something like this size 1:18 would be ideal for the kids. Although not this particular one as its a A979-B and can top 40mph! It is an absolute speed monster and has took a bit of hammer and survived.
A979B.jpg

The Himoto 1/10 Desert Truck needed repair thought it was the diff but turned out to be
a faulty wheel bearing luckily had a spare!
h1.jpg

Soldato
First off if they are like me you need 2 RC cars. WLToys is a good shout as its borderline Toy grade but there are spares and upgrade kits available. I always upgrade the shocks on mine as I know they will get hammered.

Not touched my RC vehicles for a year or two so as I had time this week decided to go through my mini fleet and do some checking, maintenance and repair. Enthusiasts remember this is a "Dad and kids" collection :) When I have the time and money going to go old school and get some "proper kits".

Forgot to include my Tanks in the picture and my WLToys Q282. The top two are 1:10 Himoto's that my kids are currently using (age 7 and 10) so they have one each.
Fleet1.jpg

Something like this size 1:18 would be ideal for the kids. Although not this particular one as its a A979-B and can top 40mph! It is an absolute speed monster and has took a bit of hammer and survived.
A979B.jpg

The Himoto 1/10 Desert Truck needed repair thought it was the diff but turned out to be
a faulty wheel bearing luckily had a spare!
h1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions - along with @hyperseven 's recommendation above I've been looking at various reviews of the WLToys 10428 and the 12428 (which I gather are very similar with the "10" model being a bit bigger)

Question is, is the 10428 worth almost double the money??

Soldato
Just depends on what space you have to run it. We are okay as we have a decent long drive at the front and over the hedge is the green which is a big grassy area with footpath running through it although I tend to not like going over grass as you never know what brown stuff you might run through and its awful to clean off.

The 10428 as we all being bigger has double the run time if you go by the specs and will be more durable. Remember these are very fast, especially the smaller 12428. Maybe start with something calmer like a 18428?

Soldato
Just depends on what space you have to run it. We are okay as we have a decent long drive at the front and over the hedge is the green which is a big grassy area with footpath running through it although I tend to not like going over grass as you never know what brown stuff you might run through and its awful to clean off.

The 10428 as we all being bigger has double the run time if you go by the specs and will be more durable. Remember these are very fast, especially the smaller 12428. Maybe start with something calmer like a 18428?

Calmer??? Naaaa!!! :D

I've looked at the 18428 but it looks a bit tame - not for the kids you understand, for me!!! :p

Where is the best place to get WLToys stuff from in the UK? The rainforest (are we still not allowed to reference them by name?) doesn't seem to have a great selection and most other places I've looked at online are abroad?

Back
Top Bottom