20k mileage a year petrol or diesel

Soldato
Keep the car you know is reliable and be lighter on the right pedal, simples.

Surprising how changing your driving style can affect mpg massively, if I drive my car normally 30mpg, as soon as i'm sensible 40mpg, from a heavy 2.4l Accord.

Permabanned
OP
You say it's never let you down before? But it's not been doing 20k a year before.
I'd still keep it though. I don't think it's worth changing. I do a bit more than 20k a year and I average about 49-50 in my golf GTD (mostly A and B roads).
The only reason I changed to the diesel is that I had an evo 10 before and I was averaging about 23mpg. A bit of a no brainer in my case.

nope around 14k before the new extra commute/

Keep the car you know is reliable and be lighter on the right pedal, simples.

Surprising how changing your driving style can affect mpg massively, if I drive my car normally 30mpg, as soon as i'm sensible 40mpg, from a heavy 2.4l Accord.

true. before i eased off on the pedal i was averaging 22mpg :D

Petrol v Diesel fuel cost calculator. Made it years ago to support some car buying man maths :o : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SsaTPh4fepc3zn4XA34PujOHW4nKOgBdYLXyd00NMVY/edit?usp=sharing

thanks that is very informative.

Soldato
you say if you are careful you get 35mpg, but what do you actually get.

I could nurse 35 mpg out of my 370z on a run, the reality was an average of 26mpg.

went from 26mpg to 48-50 in a diesel, plus tax difference and not paying out for V power it saves me thousands per year and I do less miles than you.

no brainer for me

Soldato
You are well into diesel mileage and looking at frugal diesel’s would make sense but I don’t think a 320d would be much of an improvement. If you looked at something like a Golf or Polo TDi then maybe.

Soldato

I could nurse 35 mpg out of my 370z on a run, the reality was an average of 26mpg.

went from 26mpg to 48-50 in a diesel, plus tax difference and not paying out for V power it saves me thousands per year and I do less miles than you.

no brainer for me

I’d did the same and found it much more enjoyable to drive the diesel normally than trying to drive a big petrol economically.

Soldato
You are well into diesel mileage and looking at frugal diesel’s would make sense but I don’t think a 320d would be much of an improvement. If you looked at something like a Golf or Polo TDi then maybe.

Well that depends. I have a 320d ED because I do almost entirely motorway driving and quite a lot of it so it does pretty well for me. Sure, the trip computer is going to be slightly over-enthusiastic, but I still average 700-750 miles from a 61 litre tank.

Realistic average for my driving before I reset the trip computer at about 5k miles was around 65mpg which is still pretty good for a car that isn’t tiny and while it isn’t exactly a fast car, it’s enough for motorway cruising. But when I reset it the other night on a trip with no traffic it did pretty well:

IMG-2024.jpg

That said, it probably still isn't worth the effort of changing car if you already have something you're happy with and that isn't awful on fuel. It's going to be a nicer engine than the 4 cylinder 2.0 diesel too :)

Last edited:
Associate
At 20k the saving is not going to be massive and there is more to consider than MPG, what works for you will depend on whether you actually like driving or not.

If you like driving that being light on the pedal for the commute to have a decent car for other times might be worth it, I have switched back and forth between petrol and diesel, diesel have generally done 50-60mpg, the petrols have done 35-45, doing a commute Bristol to Maidenhead, I found very little differences in reality, the diesel would eat tyres and brakes due to weight and be no fun on other driving due to weight, which negates some of its saving IMO.

I think it would be a wash really over what was cheaper, what is better will come down to your driving preference. Also what will the cost to change versus what you have been, if you don’t need a new car that has to be considered.

Permabanned
OP
At 20k the saving is not going to be massive and there is more to consider than MPG, what works for you will depend on whether you actually like driving or not.

If you like driving that being light on the pedal for the commute to have a decent car for other times might be worth it, I have switched back and forth between petrol and diesel, diesel have generally done 50-60mpg, the petrols have done 35-45, doing a commute Bristol to Maidenhead, I found very little differences in reality, the diesel would eat tyres and brakes due to weight and be no fun on other driving due to weight, which negates some of its saving IMO.

I think it would be a wash really over what was cheaper, what is better will come down to your driving preference. Also what will the cost to change versus what you have been, if you don’t need a new car that has to be considered.

some very good points there.
the 320d i see so much of on the motorway cant handle the 6 pot power :D

i am in a catch 22 at the moment.
just changed the rear tyres dunlop sports which managed around 18k so other than consumables the old girl has been perfect.

touch wood.

Associate

no brainer for me
Same here, i'd much rather be having some fun in a relatively quick diesel than worrying about getting the best mpg in my old hothatch.

Associate
I changed jobs last year making my anual mileage jump from 7-10K to 15k+ almost all those miles are 70mph dual carriage ways. I was running a 650I at the time i started, i was mananging to get 32mpg driving sensibly, but still deciced to sell it and get an oil burner. I now manage to get between 45-50mpg. Glad i made the change, miss the petrol as i hate the sound of diesel but running the V8 would have been exspenive doing those miles.

Back
Top Bottom