** NEW AOC GAMING MONITORS 2020 RANGE - TASTY GUBBINS **

Associate
There's no such thing as a monitor without issues, all have good and bad points and then there's unit to unit QC issues. I'd just buy a good one that's in stock. It's a panel lottery, I was lucky my Aorus was perfect, other people had issues.

OCUK can't supply products they sell, but they keep you dangling with nonsense about deliveries. I never pre-order anything.
I was going to buy the FI27Q-P but it costs £100 over the LG version though :/ My concern is mainly the response time.

Associate
Oh interesting - AOC Q27G2U, appears to be roughly equivalent to the MSI MAG272QR that I've been waiting on, and seems to be only the third flat, QHD, freesync, VA, high-refresh rate 27" panel on the market. The AG273QX also looks epic, but is a little more expensive. (Yes, I like VA)

Associate
You mean as in buying it from another country and importing it? I never tried because I am not sure how customs works here (Ive lived in the UK for 5 years)

It pretty much doesn't, you can just buy within the EU. And during our current 'transition period' or whatever the hell... until/unless the UK's deal with the EU changes things, if/when we get one.

Soldato
So seen news AOC have officially launched these models today at a London event, AOC seem to have really stepped it up a gear this year, prices seem very competitive.

The Agon AG353UCG looks sweet :eek:

Associate
From the only review, I have seen of the AG353UCG (off rainforest)

"The fans are extremely loud (as loud as a gaming laptop with maximum speed). I tested the X35 and the PG35VQ with the same panel. The fans of the AG353UCG are much louder than those of the two noisy competitors."

FFS oled confirmed.

FTL

FTL

Associate

"The fans are extremely loud (as loud as a gaming laptop with maximum speed). I tested the X35 and the PG35VQ with the same panel. The fans of the AG353UCG are much louder than those of the two noisy competitors."

FFS oled confirmed.

I can confirm too, not tried the others but got the AG353UCG (sent back today) and found the fan noise annoyingly loud. While it looks like there’s no fan on the back this is because it’s in the bottom left and exhausts there. AOC’s website advertises the monitor as having a DP1.4 and mini DP but it only has the former, which isn’t surprising given the limitations of the G-Sync module but it is a technically misleading advertisement on their part.

I found the FALD’s brightness impressive but everything else was deeply dissatisfying for the price. The blooming was distracting and it performed incredibly poorly on any darker scenes - loading up a HDR demo with fireworks on a pitch black scene you could see every single zone lighting around the details and producing a incredibly blotchy series of haloing effects.

Granted I am an owner of two OLED’s (LG E6 and C9) so am used to pixel perfect lighting but I found the inconsistency in the FALD across scenes to be a net negative versus the technically poorer but consistent (and not distracting) performance of my desktop Asus PG348Q this monitor was supposed to replace.

Granted this wasn’t something I was 100% sure I’d keep before but I think I’ll stick to my OLED in the living room and Asus on the desk. For the price I could buy a 55 inch C9 (on top of my existing 65) and still have ~£800 left to spend. A 35 inch monitor with so many flaws for such a price is incredibly hard to justify IMO.

Soldato

FFS oled confirmed.

I was looking at this monitor for a while so glad i swerved this one then that fan noise would drive me nuts :eek:

Caporegime
Awful awful news, along with the other downfalls I'm *really* glad I chose the LG!! It's nigh-on perfect imo (and apparently it has a fan but I'm yet to hear it!!!).

Associate
If anyone is interested, I grabbed one of the CQ27G2U's, and am very impressed with it so far.

I know a lot of people dislike the VA panel, but it is gorgeous for CAD work with high contrast ratio (helps my colour blindness immensely) and it is surprisingly capable at 144hz gaming.
The "smearing" from the VA panel is a lot better than I was expecting it to be, so really quite stoked with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom