When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Have car manufacturers standardized on a charging plug to fit all vehicles?

If you charge on the driveway wont be surprised if your charging cable gets robbed. Any security for that?

Officially, CCS and CHADEMO are the standard DC connectors for Europe, while Type 2 is the standard AC connector.

In practice, CHADEMO is dying. Nissan still cling to it. But everyone else has moved on.

Your charge cable locks to the charger and to the car. It's usually unlocked by a button on the key fob and/or inside the cabin. So it's not going anywhere.

Soldato
After reading this https://electric-fun.com/surprise-r...ly-as-good-as-the-tesla-3-long-range-rwd-car/
where taycan is level pegging model3 lr, for range, on a real world test, confounding tesla wltp(european)/epa(usa) figures + their credibility.
I wonder if range+energy estimates are going to become tomorrows equivalent of emissions scandal.

Both standards are undertaken in lab conditions so should be a good metric for comparison but not necessarily in every condition so we have to rely on reviews for real world testing or forums for that matter.

Spin that info how you want either Porsche are "confounding" Tesla with their high speed performance or Tesla are so good they don't require the extra complication of a gearbox.

Coincidentally one of Bjorn Nylands findings I believe based on range testing was that the Model 3 travels long distance faster cruising at 93 mph if combined with it's high speed charging network. I dare say the Taycan would be similar as well when a high speed CCS charging network is more established.

Soldato
They are great vehicles, I hope you enjoy using it.

Did you get the Premium or Premium SE?

Premium SE. Great kit level as standard.

We've only done about 100 miles in the car, including an unexpected journey to out of hours doctors on Saturday night to Cirencester down the A417/9.

On the journey back I made full use of adaptive cruise and lane assist. couple of fingers on the wheel and the car did the rest. Really impressive. Our local tesco now has those free PodPoint chargers - sadly only 7kw - but still, free juice !

Permabanned
Actually really want a Honda E, think they look fantastic. :)

Would actually be fine for probably 95% of our usage, its just that last 5% putting me off with its quite limited 130 ish mile range.

Visiting my parents is 160 miles so would need to charge along the way, looking at Zap Map there are plenty of charge points, so theoretically a stop roughly halfway for charging/leg stretch/break for 20 minutes should suffice IF there is a 50 or 100 kW fast charger available and working.

Just wish it had a 200 mile range which would virtually eliminate my apprehension! :(

Have any EV owners experienced broken or chargers that are full up on major routes? (A1/M1 generally)

Associate
I've been invited to the Mini Electric Launch party at the Oxford factory on the 27th Feb. Mini are paying for everything including a hotel room for the night. Guess there are some benefits of getting an early pre-order in. :)

Soldato
Well I've just filled in the online form to switch my electric/gas over to octopus. They say once I'm up and running they'll invite me to the go tarrif.

at least that that's sorted....just need to find the car now :p

My wallet/head says get a peugeot e-2008 as my work has them for peanuts, but I really like the Audi etron. Is it worth an extra £122 a month. Either way I'm saving money.

Associate
My wallet/head says get a peugeot e-2008 as my work has them for peanuts, but I really like the Audi etron. Is it worth an extra £122 a month. Either way I'm saving money.

I had an interesting chat with my current car insurer Esure last week. They said there were a number of electric cars they currently won't insure and the Audi etron was one of the ones they listed.

Soldato
Actually really want a Honda E, think they look fantastic. :)

I basically posted this a few pages ago, at 130 miles it’s a bit ‘hmmm...’ for my use, at 200 miles it completely changes the conversation.

The other problem is a price, it’s a quite expensive for a 130 mile car in a market getting filled with cheaper 200+ mile cars.

Back
Top Bottom