• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 2060 KO or 5700? (Resolved - 2060 used)

Soldato
So my brain is hurting from looking.

Xfx 5700 DD at 319, or EVGA RTX 2060 KO?

As i see it the 5700 is significantly faster overall.
Has possibility of black screens.
Can be overclocked easily.

2060 KO has a poorly made cooler.
Possibly better in encoding and other loads if it comes with the 104 chip.
Can barely be overclocked.
Likely to come with less issues driver wise?

I cant believe i am second guessing my own recommendation of 5700 now lol. Some reviews put the 2060 as faster in the same games that on other reviews are much slower..so weird.

Soldato
OP
Their cards do seem to age better.

I don't care about rtx on the 2060. I mainly play first person shooters, so RT is not going ro help frame rates or be something i would have enabled 99% of the time. It isnt really even worthwhile on the 2060 in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
if you mean a XFX 5700 XL DD there around £285

I'm in the US. Sorry, should have been clearer.

I know that the 2070 and 5700xt are roughly the same speed, but are the 2060 and 5700 the same speed as each other?

The 5700 is faster from everything I see. Except for a Jays2Cents video where he shows the 2060 is FASTER... which goes against everything else I've seen. That's what made me second guess myself.

Soldato
OP
Well, i did what I thought I wouldn't.... I bought an RTX 2060 (Gigabyte GV-N2060GAMING-OC-6GD)... but .. 'used like new' for $230 delivered. If it is as it says then I'm happy with it. Will see on Thursday. (Hopefully not a scammer from 'warehouse').

(working in a tax free state is handy sometimes for deliveries :D )

The 5700 went back upto 329 and I just didn't want to wait any longer.

Last edited:
Associate
I see you went with Nvidia, wise decision, as all this fine wine nonsense is just that. I remember first seeing all the results of the Vega 56 and 64 after launch on Unigine Superposition, where the AMD cards were faster than the GTX1080, yet in game lost out easily. Now it seems that the Vega's are actually quicker. Great, but if I'm buying a GPU I'd want day one performance, not a year plus in because AMD cant make decent reliable drivers. The 5700 will likely improve in terms of performance, just at the point your looking to replace it anyway... I see these as a bad GPU investment personally...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I see you went with Nvidia, wise decision, as all this fine wine nonsense is just that. I remember first seeing all the results of the Vega 56 and 64 after launch on Unigine Superposition, where the AMD cards were faster than the GTX1080, yet in game lost out easily. Now it seems that the Vega's are actually quicker. Great, but if I'm buying a GPU I'd want day one performance, not a year plus in because AMD cant make decent reliable drivers. The 5700 will likely improve in terms of performance, just at the point your looking to replace it anyway... I see these as a bad GPU investment personally...

Your logic is flawed. You say its fine wine nonsense then in same paragraph admit the vega beats the 1070/80 when it didn't originally. :)

I would support the nvidia decision if they were the same price, but the never are. You are paying a tax on the brand name and beguiled into thinking it is a far superior product when it isn't.

I will take your spin and spin it back to you:

The 2060 will likely drop in price to where the 5070 once was, just at the point your looking to replace it anyway... I see these as a bad GPU investment personally

Soldato
The r9 290 cards were a big success as they just kept getting better over the years as the drivers improved. I have just upgraded to a 5700xt from a r9 290 and I would have kept the r9 290 if it wasn't for heat problems I had been having with it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The r9 290 cards were a big success as they just kept getting better over the years as the drivers improved. I have just upgraded to a 5700xt from a r9 290 and I would have kept the r9 290 if it wasn't for heat problems I had been having with it.

Agree, heat+power+noise. Checked in 2018 what I could 'upgrade' to and the 580 was £300 for no real leap in performance. I eventually got a vega which was a jump but that took nearly 6 years so it shows how good the card was at the time.

Associate
Your logic is flawed. You say its fine wine nonsense then in same paragraph admit the vega beats the 1070/80 when it didn't originally. :)

I would support the nvidia decision if they were the same price, but the never are. You are paying a tax on the brand name and beguiled into thinking it is a far superior product when it isn't.

I will take your spin and spin it back to you:

It is nonsense though. It's not a fine wine scenario, it's down to crappy day 1 drivers. If im buying a video card I want the performance now, not in 2 years time.

Thr irony here is that the spin is this fine wine BS people go on about. Pure fanboy'ism.

Soldato
It is nonsense though. It's not a fine wine scenario, it's down to crappy day 1 drivers. If im buying a video card I want the performance now, not in 2 years time.

Thr irony here is that the spin is this fine wine BS people go on about. Pure fanboy'ism.

The drivers for the 5700 work fine, not perfect, as still theres a few things to iron out because the card has only been released about 5months ago.....

When I bought my r9 290 about 2 yrs after it got released, the drivers worked flawless and didnt have any problems. But I cant say if I have had any speed boost over the yrs of having the card, as I rarely run benchmarks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom