Cummings protégé advocates enforced contraception.

Permabanned
Whilst I agree families having lots of kids they can’t afford is not fair on the kids, when you start having to pass a test be it financial, intelligence or anything else you’ve entered very dangerous territory. Not something I could ever support.

It does not have to be mean give everyone a two child quota then, That is within what a nation can reasonably support. For example Britain has too many to support right now so lets cap and quota childbirth.

Do some asset or land division take from the rich and divide among those with zero assets, Then everyone can have some sort of asset to start off with and pass on. If you never want more than 2 kids, Sell your 1 quota to someone rich then and when your only child is say 17 hand them a large amount of money for thier house. They cannot live at home and at the end of the day they will be depending on a lender someone has to do it be it mum and dad or big banks. I think this would be the ideal system it seems the most fair thing i could think of, And we do actually need some sort of system for it or we will keep marching onwards towards real overpopulation Asia style.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
There is a disturbing analysis of the thinking behind Cumming's introduction of Andrew Sabisky and Johnson's supine acquiescence and silence over the matter HERE.
From a well-off family, Sabisky hardly fit Mr Cummings’ call for “true wild cards, artists, people who never went to university and fought their way out of an appalling hell hole”.

It speaks volumes about the arrogance of Downing Street that Boris Johnson did not immediately dump Mr Sabisky – or even disassociate himself from his views which are routinely found in the darker, damper recesses of the internet.

You cannot have such people in government unless you mean to give the impression that you agree with them. But someone in No 10 thought better. Mr Johnson’s team had gone out of its way to back Mr Sabisky.

Mr Sabisky, like Mr Cummings, has no formal training in the fields that they both claim to understand. Earlier this month Mr Johnson claimed that his government “will be governed by science and not by mumbo-jumbo”. Hiring this individual was evidence that this is not true.

If Mr Johnson or Mr Cummings wanted expertise in genetics then why not ask a scientist to advise them?

The reason is the prime minister’s adviser is not interested in exploring the dilemmas presented by diverging fundamental beliefs or those informed by scientific facts. He is interested in weaponising such debates for political gain.

Man of Honour
No, a lot of women hate the pill and its side-effects. Interestingly enough, when trials for a male version of the pill started, the men complained about the side-effects and research pretty much stalled. Funny that.

The side effects were bad enough for the trial to be stopped on ethical grounds because the drug was too dangerous to pass safety protocols. As has happened with other clinical trials, since that's part of the point of those trials.

But it's easier to just jeer at men, since that's a fashionable prejudice.

I did wonder what happened to the male pill, it was just around the corner 10 years ago and i didn't hear anything much since.

Mostly the usual mainstream "reporting" of anything scientific, i.e. mostly nonsense(*), but one or two made it to clinical trials and failed safety tests. Others were quietly dropped because drug companies didn't see a profit in the offing even if they did get it to market. When you add the men who wouldn't take it and the women who wouldn't trust a man to take it, you're left with probably not enough sales to make huge profits from it. But there are some more attempts in research and some work in mice so they might make it to human trials and they might pass them, maybe. Or maybe not.

Since reproduction is involved, it's not even possible to ignore side effects because it's only men who'll suffer or die and it's not like they're proper people. All of the drug-based approaches involve damaging sperm in one way or another since that's the only possible way. So what if the damage is not severe enough to prevent conception but is severe enough to cause birth defects? Thalidomide 2, but on a far larger scale. Would that happen if a man takes some herbal supplement that affects the contraceptive in some way? Would it happen if he forgets to take a pill some day? Would it happen if he is sick some day? Is it really worth rushing it out without even basic testing for political reasons?

* Scientist: There are some initial indications that this might be of some use in X. It's worth doing further experimentation.
Mainstream media: SCIENTISTS HAVE TOTALLY COMPLETELY SOLVED X!!!!11111!!!!1

Soldato
Bloke is quite clearly a bit odd but good to see the pitchfork mob is out as soon as they see something they don't agree with, even if some of it has a ring of statistical truth to it.

Extreme ideas are just that, but it doesn't mean they should be totally shut down and not used to provoke discussion.

As for that IQ snippet, it raises questions about opportunity and social mobility rather than being racist IMO.

Regarding things like population and birth control, I think there is a point here but people don't like hard truths and hurty fee fees anymore.

I certainly feel that there are people I know/know of that should not be parents. Their children will face the most extreme adversity in trying to get somewhere in life. I honestly don't see why a carrot rather than a stick approach would be a bad thing in these situations.

Also didn't freakonomics cover something like this with an attempt to correlate crime rate drop to abortions in poor neighbourhoods?

Anyways, I mostly sit on the sidelines and enjoy the drama these days when this sort of stuff hits the news. People are becoming hysterical over such trivial stuff now. It's fun to watch. </oldgit> :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Bloke is quite clearly a bit odd but good to see the pitchfork mob is out as soon as they see something they don't agree with, even if some of it has a ring of statistical truth to it.

As for that IQ snippet, it raises questions about opportunity and social mobility rather than being racist IMO.

Regarding things like population and birth control, I think there is a point here but people don't like hard truths and hurty fee fees anymore.

I certainly feel that there are people I know/know of that should not be parents. Their children will face the most extreme adversity in trying to get somewhere in life. I honestly don't see why a carrot rather than a stick approach would be a bad thing in these situations.

Didn't freakonomics cover this with an attempt to correlate crime rate drop to abortions in poor neighbourhoods?

I mostly sit on the sidelines and enjoy the drama these days when this sort of stuff hits the news. People are becoming hysterical over such trivial stuff now.

Did you see the maths is racist thing? It is from America so here you have two different people of view, Race and Gender hint at the same thing. I believe it was that black people tend to be bad at maths. But in a society where any decent job asks for minimum of a C in maths what happens to someone who maybe has good qualities in other areas but simply can not do maths?

Its the same people saying the same thing, It also backs up why a lot of young black youths turn to crime. What hope would they have if they are told anyone who does not get a C minimum is seen as some mentally impaired in some way. I would hate to work like that myself now imagine if someone offers you double that for dealing drugs.

On average, It does hint there is an IQ heirarchy but there are also many social factors skewing this. Mainly where people have been uprooted from one location and culture to another (Africa to Europe) and dropped into that culture where perhaps genes were going in different areas for each population. Indeed all races have strengths and weakness that sort of fit what thier requirement has been for thousands of years.

Soldato
Did you see the maths is racist thing? It is from America so here you have two different people of view, Race and Gender hint at the same thing.

There are ways around those requirements by way of vocational qualifications, at least in the UK. I messed up my GCSEs for reasons but I do OK now.

I'm also not a huge believer in IQ scores really. Some of the cleverest people I know in the building trade would probably come in below 100. One of my mates can barely read but did a lot of my renovation work which all got signed off without a hitch.

I think it's a matter of playing to your strengths and taking advantage of the opportunities you get. I reckon a lot of companies miss out on good people by insisting on a degree (of any sort, even if unrelated to the field) in their recruitment process.

Permabanned
There are ways around those requirements by way of vocational qualifications, at least in the UK. I messed up my GCSEs for reasons but I do OK now.

I'm also not a huge believer in IQ scores really. Some of the cleverest people I know in the building trade would probably come in below 100. One of my mates can barely read but did a lot of my renovation work which all got signed off without a hitch.

I think it's a matter of playing to your strengths and taking advantage of the opportunities you get. I reckon a lot of companies miss out on good people by insisting on a degree (of any sort, even if unrelated to the field) in their recruitment process.

True, My first job was for a builder who can not really read or write, Yet had contracts for the local council we built emergency stuff for them. The building is still there today as well.

Caporegime
None of what you have written has anything to do with either the ethical position of his "advisers" or Johnson's failure to answer a relevant question.

The quesiton was about a specific advisor and it wasn't an ethical one, you don't seem to be following.

Caporegime
Contractor? Really?

Yes, he's apparently a contractor.

I wonder if the the misfit and weirdo was marched out of the office without the knowledge of Cummings? Yeah, right :rolleyes:

Well given that he reported directly to Cummings then I'd say Cummings is well aware of him officially quitting, though I suspect he'd have been let go if he hadn't. I doubt he was "marched out" though.

Soldato
Haha, I raise you Dianne Abbot.
Just so painful to watch:
giphy.gif

Associate
This is why you never use your real identity on platforms like Twitter.

a few ill advised comments made years ago can still be dragged up and cost you your job.

Yep I agree with this, it's happened all across the political spectrum so I don't get the outrage over this case.

I'm pretty sure that teenage pregnancy has been falling over the last 20 years. In addition to the birthrate declining, the proportion of women who don't want children at all is increasing - so apart from the questionable ethics involved, we may actually need the people who want children to have one or two more.

Soldato
This is why you never use your real identity on platforms like Twitter.

a few ill advised comments made years ago can still be dragged up and cost you your job.

This is why you should be forced to use your real identity online.

The sooner people can't hide behind a keyboard and spew hatred anonymously the better it'll be.

Permabanned
The sooner people can't hide behind a keyboard and spew hatred anonymously the better it'll be.

Hasn't stopped most "columnists" that write for the papers. And it certainly hasn't stopped people on Facebook. The only thing that'll stop people being nasty ***** online, will be when someone invents the ability to physically slap another human being over tcp/ip.

Caporegime
This is why you should be forced to use your real identity online.

I just don’t agree with peoples lives being forever affected and ruined by something they did when they was younger and a long time ago.

Liberals constantly bleat on about rehabilitation for prisoners who have committed atrocious crimes like rape and murder, but someone writes a few racist words a few years ago and that’s it, condemned to the gutter for ever. It’s awful double standards.

If the prisoner can get a second chance, why can’t someone else?

Back
Top Bottom