**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
anyone used the samsung upgrade program?

Considering it.

logic being i always upgrade my phone after 2 years.

so pay £40-£50 per month for whatever phone package, 2 years later upgrade.

or

pay £30-£35 for phone for 12 months and sim only deal £15-£20 and get new phone after 12 month and repeat.

has anyone used the program and can tell me what happens at 12 months?

After 12 months if you upgrade they pay off the remainder outstanding when they receive your trade-in and accept it. You only pay the monthly payment of the new phone.

Soldato
The upgrade program is fairly good in that it's quite flexible and guarantees you a trade in value of 50%-ish for a year old phone (assuming it's not broken), which you won't always get from a reseller. There are downsides in that if you upgrade in 12 months, you won't have a phone to sell at the end of 24 months.

Caporegime
Screw it, grey S20 ordered for my wife, trading in her S10e.

£20.59 per month and £54.90 deposit, plus her current £7.50 sim-only plan - decent combined price :).

My Last Samsung (s7 plus) lasted 2 years and 2 weeks. I gave it to my partner after I updated to the S9 plus and she promptly dropped and totally ruined it after just 2 weeks. I'm hoping my S9 will live longer but I'm note sure about giving it to her again! She had my 2014 Sony until just very recently

Soldato
Yup
I would say the S20+ is the equivalent product to the S9+ (though the screen is bigger on the S20+).
I have had my hands on all the dummies, Despite screen sizes i'd say the same 100%
s20 had that narrow look in the hand which i find the s10 had.

S20 Ultra was pleasingly not at all as bad as I imagined, S20+ perfectly usable if you have a s9+ already

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is glass but on top of it is the plastic bendy layer that stops the glass from breaking when the thing is folded and unfortunately that's what is showing marks.

Samsung are running with the marketing on this and calling it glass without mentioning the plastic layer on top much like how monitor and TV makers call their LED backlit TVs "LED" with no mention of said LED being the backlight only.

So why even have a glass layer if it's slapped under layers of easily scratchable plastic? Even most of the reviewers have been suckered in by this talking about the "glass screen" in reviews when in reality they're interacting with plastic. The whole point of it needing a glass screen was durability, the way it's been used in this makes it having a glass layer utterly redundant besides it being a marketing buzzword.

Man of Honour
OP
Probably gen 1 stuffs. It's happened before where a maker has a deadline to meet for release so they make do with what they have engineered as these things are initially drawn up long ago in the design stages and as the tech matures it's always gen 2 that fixes the early faults.

No case?

She requires a chunky one :D

It had a case but it was a plastic flapped front type and it just fell flat it's face. She's getting a faux leather one with a magnetic front flap which will hopefully close. So yeah more chunky this time lol. Also I just bought a screen protector, something which just didn't work on the S7 edge screen well at all. This one isn't too bad but the responsiveness is down even with the screen protector option enabled and I'm often pressing the "wrong" key now suddenly.

Getting quite excited for the new phone now. :)

Soldato
After 12 months if you upgrade they pay off the remainder outstanding when they receive your trade-in and accept it. You only pay the monthly payment of the new phone.

so no 'initial payment' again?

with my current sim deal it will cost me about £55 pm average over 12 months. current sim is £19 pm for 30gb data with three, they say all their sims are 5g.

so in 12 months if the new phone is similar value i should then pay around £50pm for phone and sim combined. techinically its like owning the phone as you sell it back to them after 12 months and knock it off the new phone price.

Am i missing something?

i can get 3% cashback which is a few quid pm off also.

Soldato
so no 'initial payment' again?

with my current sim deal it will cost me about £55 pm average over 12 months. current sim is £19 pm for 30gb data with three, they say all their sims are 5g.

so in 12 months if the new phone is similar value i should then pay around £50pm for phone and sim combined. techinically its like owning the phone as you sell it back to them after 12 months and knock it off the new phone price.

Am i missing something?

i can get 3% cashback which is a few quid pm off also.

Yes, you are missing that you still pay £100 upfront for the S20 when you renew and you don't get anything for returning your current handset if it's already in the upgrade programme.

The upgrade programme is best value only if you have a handset you own to trade in or if you want the 2 years 0%

Back
Top Bottom