When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Have any EV owners experienced broken or chargers that are full up on major routes? (A1/M1 generally)
Very rare to see a properly broken charger nowadays. If they've not got a network connection they go free vend.

I think a number of neanderthal early EV drivers treated them like crap (personally whenever I saw it, it was an Outlander PHEV driver).

Occasionally you see someone has cancelled their charge by mashing the emergency stop button. However you can now reset them on screen - in the early days it required an engineer to do it.

However, there are simply not enough chargers for major routes. There are 2 at most of the M1 service stations, which is ridiculous. If there are a few EVs - especially more recent ones with bigger batteries (and longer charge times), you could be waiting for hours.

Soldato
that's THE e-tron at £60K versus the £30k for an e-2008 .

Yep, I admit it was a curve ball but just before I place my order I thought it was sensible to at least go and have a look. We'll I have, an hour ago, and although it was nice looking on the outside, the inside was ridiculous. It seems designed for the 90s boyracer. Carbon fibre everywhere, led lights all over the shop, 3d cockpit which reminded me why I sold my 3D tele all those years ago. Not for me.

I'll nip back to Audi this week for a final check of model and options. Likely the E-Tron Sport in Floret Silver with the dynamic alloys.

Permabanned
Very rare to see a properly broken charger nowadays. If they've not got a network connection they go free vend.

I think a number of neanderthal early EV drivers treated them like crap (personally whenever I saw it, it was an Outlander PHEV driver).

Occasionally you see someone has cancelled their charge by mashing the emergency stop button. However you can now reset them on screen - in the early days it required an engineer to do it.

However, there are simply not enough chargers for major routes. There are 2 at most of the M1 service stations, which is ridiculous. If there are a few EVs - especially more recent ones with bigger batteries (and longer charge times), you could be waiting for hours.

Yeah just doesn't sound like I can get away with an EV less than 200+ range, even though its only maybe 4 times a year I need the range. The wait continues. :)

Soldato
Yeah just doesn't sound like I can get away with an EV less than 200+ range, even though its only maybe 4 times a year I need the range. The wait continues. :)

This is my only niggle. I very rarely do long journeys, but when I do I'm going to have to think hard how I'll get back. The zapp map looks good, until you really start looking and find out most places only have 2 charging points. If they are both in use, you have to wait 30+mins till you can start, then another 30+ mins for yours to charge. That's if your second in the queue!

Annoyingly for the enviornment and congestion, if train prices were cheaper, I'd happily go on the train for those long trips.

Permabanned
This is my only niggle. I very rarely do long journeys, but when I do I'm going to have to think hard how I'll get back. The zapp map looks good, until you really start looking and find out most places only have 2 charging points. If they are both in use, you have to wait 30+mins till you can start, then another 30+ mins for yours to charge. That's if your second in the queue!

Annoyingly for the enviornment and congestion, if train prices were cheaper, I'd happily go on the train for those long trips.

Wouldn't mind using the train but then it would cost 200 quid for the family vs 40 quid in petrol! Also adds 2 hours to the journey.

If it was just me I wouldn't mind waiting for a charge point too much but wife and kids will be a pain in the arse. :D

Soldato
I'll nip back to Audi this week for a final check of model and options. Likely the E-Tron Sport in Floret Silver with the dynamic alloys.
I was surprised by the small monthly delta of 'just' £120 for the E-Tron (forgot my capitals) ... it's cabin controls look very busy.
I don't like the bauhaus/stoic model3 much , either; model s console is nicer, with embedded screen.

Soldato
I don't like the bauhaus/stoic model3 much , either; model s console is nicer, with embedded screen.

I was seriously considering leasing a Model3 performance via my Ltd Co but having a courtesy VW Toerag (hateful car whilst my E43 is getting fixed) and realising what a ridiculous thing it is to have most of the controls in the touchscreen infotainment system Im having second thoughts about it, not sure I could live with it.

Soldato
Ted
I was seriously considering leasing a Model3 performance via my Ltd Co but having a courtesy VW Toerag (hateful car whilst my E43 is getting fixed) and realising what a ridiculous thing it is to have most of the controls in the touchscreen infotainment system Im having second thoughts about it, not sure I could live with it.
you get used to it much like you do when using a phone without buttons.

Soldato
I was surprised by the small monthly delta of 'just' £120 for the E-Tron (forgot my capitals) ... it's cabin controls look very busy.

This is through my works car buying scheme. It does seem the best value choice out of all the electric cars. In comparison, the citroen ds3 isn't much cheaper!
S-Line is a lot more money, but the techniq and sport models are more than resonable.

Still trying to decide which model and options to go for.

Soldato
I’ve had a car with pure touchscreen for 14 months and I’d take real buttons any day.

Touchscreen is frustrating to use whilst moving.

I don't change much in my cars one setup but yes even I get annoyed by a couple of things that would be much simpler with a button press in a Model 3. Only saving grace is if they continue to improve the voice commands like they have with other aspects then it's quite capable of interpreting complex instructions and not just simply the car controls.

Soldato
Technically you shouldn’t be using the touchscreen whilst driving its the same as using a phone whilst driving.

It really isn’t. Using a hand held device while driving is the offence. Of the phone is fully set up (eg in a cradle and connected to hands free) before you start driving it’s fine (for now). A cars touch screen isn’t hand held.

There is the obvious catch all of driving without due care and attention/careless driving but that also applies for people messing around with their infotainment systems with buttons and not paying attention.

That said, voice control in modern cars can be pretty good these days and can control most functions, Mercedes and Tesla included.

Permabanned
It really isn’t. Using a hand held device while driving is the offence. Of the phone is fully set up (eg in a cradle and connected to hands free) before you start driving it’s fine (for now). A cars touch screen isn’t hand held.

But it is distracting you from driving, your focus is supposed to be on the road at all times. Just like using a handheld device you will also have one hand on the touchscreen. Yes, that is driving with out due care and attention.

Not that we don’t all do it but In my van I get a legal disclaimer on the satnav touch screen every time I turn on the ignition warning me not to use the device whilst driving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom