MK3 Skoda Octavia vRS thoughts?

Soldato
Hi all,

My lease car is due to go back in just under a year so I've been looking for a replacement, thinking about buying the next car outright with a loan and some savings.

Currently have a 67 plate Leon FR (150bhp petrol)
Cars been great, but a little tight at times when camping say or just loaded up as we usually have a pram and child seat.

So I've decided to get ahead of the game and start looking at potential replacements now.

The Octavia vRS hatch or estate seems to give everything I could want, I'm far from a badge snob so the "image" doesn't bother me, but they look to offer a fair bit more space and some more power to go with it. I have a £15k budget which looks to currently get me into a 2016 pre face lift model (interior very similar the the Leon I have currently)
Dunno if prices will fall enough by the end of the year to pick up a slightly newer one with the split head lights.

Has anyone here owned or leased one for a period of time? What was it like to live with? Any options to look out for? Any issues?

Thanks

Associate
We've had a 63 plate TSI 220 DSG hatch for about 3.5 years now. Bought approved used at 3 years old 14k mileage, now at 64k and had no issues with it. It has only needed routine servicing and tyres in this time. Passed all MOTs without advisories. I would recommend the DSG box and definitely the petrol over the diesel unless you do very high mileage.

Plenty of space in the rear and boot; we have 2 kids under 4 and it's handled those duties well. We go to Center Parcs 1-2 times a year and we can fit everything in for a week for the 4 of us without roof boxes etc.

Try and find one with some decent options fitted. I would say winter pack (heated seats, heated windscreen and heated washer jets), Canton sound system, and adaptive cruise are all great options if you can find one with them. 2016 should have MIB2 infotainment which slightly improved the system and added more features such as android auto/apple car play. If you can find one with the larger Columbus nav unit the screen is bigger, it has a better resolution and it guarantees the colour maxidot (trip computer display) whereas without it was an option and the B + W version looks a bit pants. The maps are also stored on the unit with the Columbus so no map media required whereas the smaller Amundsen has them on an SD card in the glovebox (has to be a genuine Skoda one so make sure it has it if buying used!)

Soldato
I have a 2018 VRS albeit is a Diesel, this is the face lift model. I can say from doing around 5 months so far in it that its a very comfortable and practical car. As you've probably read the boot space is brilliant and there is room for 4 full size adults. I'm 6ft3 and you can sit behind me which isn't always a given. The car itself is styled on the inside with what you need, there's no bells and whistles but the entertainment system is bang on (although the finger print marks on the touch screen do annoy me).

As ahenners said if your not doing a lot of mileage like me the Petrol will give you a little more fun.

I did go for the bright green colour which some might find a bit garish but it was the colour I was after. The ride can be a little firm at times but is a brilliant motorway cruiser. I do between 600-1000 miles a week and I never get out feeling I've had anything but a good drive.

Associate
I had a 2015 VRS Diesel and it was a great car with a really good boot for lugging my MTB around. Had it for 2 years from new and did about 28k in it. In hindsight I would have defo got the DSG version and, whilst it is a good car, you can see where they cut corners on it to make it in the price bracket befitting a Skoda. The A6 I replaced it with (ok different league of car) is so much more refined. But then again, the Skoda was list of about £26k and the Audi about £52k...

I'd definitely consider one again and I had zero problems with mine. At 2 years old it went through the auctions @ £13.5k and VWFS tried to sell it to me for £16.5k...

Soldato
OP

Just what I'm after, I'd of never known about the screen and sat nav. The Leon has the finger print issue, I can live with it, think it's worse as the screen is a matt finish.

So winter pack adds some nice touches, the adaptive cruise control has a different stalk am I right?

We had to put roof box on the Leon and still only just had the room inside on our last camping trip!

I'm not expecting a massive jump in room, but it seems like it's right direction (The Mrs wants an SUV but I refuse)

We only do about 8000 miles a year, so I'm thinking the petrol engine is the right choice for us. No issues with the DSG box? I've been looking at manuals.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
You can get a 2015 BMW 530d for that sort of money.

I've looked at BMW, Audi, Merc etc and as fox says I can get into one yeah but it's older and with higher milage and at this moment in time the badge doesn't bother me. They also typically come with higher repair costs, I plan on keeping what ever I end up with for 5+ years.

If I had a higher budget I'd of been tempted by a a4 avant s line or something but at my budget they ain't great.

Soldato
OP
I had a 2015 VRS Diesel and it was a great car with a really good boot for lugging my MTB around. Had it for 2 years from new and did about 28k in it. In hindsight I would have defo got the DSG version and, whilst it is a good car, you can see where they cut corners on it to make it in the price bracket befitting a Skoda. The A6 I replaced it with (ok different league of car) is so much more refined. But then again, the Skoda was list of about £26k and the Audi about £52k...

I'd definitely consider one again and I had zero problems with mine. At 2 years old it went through the auctions @ £13.5k and VWFS tried to sell it to me for £16.5k...

That's good to know, think I'm going to have to get out and test drive a DSG.

Thanks

Soldato
I've owned my 2017 Petrol vRS since December 2018 and really cannot fault it.
Mine is more or less the base specification - although it had the Black Pack (19" wheels and some black trim) and the Columbus Sat-Nav added to it. Not that the base model isn't well specified.
When I was looking back in 2018 finding "all the optional extras" is extremely rare - Petrol & Hatchback were my only requirements and the rest fell into place. I drove a DSG local to me and cannot fault it.
Went to look at silver one with panoramic windows, which wasn't too bad - before finalising on the current one in Red.

I don't think the MIB2 unit became standard until the Facelift, although not 100% sure - you'll be able to see this from the slightly larger screen. Also make sure there is a genuine Skoda brand SD-Card for the Sat-Nav maps, as this is the only card you can run the maps from.
Winter pack is the only options I was really hoping I'd find - as I went from a Mk2.5 Octavia which did have the heated seats, but never once saw one with that option up for sale.

As always, make sure you visit Briskoda as owners will happily tell you about any faults they have had etc.

Soldato
I've done 5k on a 1.0T '19 Skoda Octavia now and have been quite surprised to the quality of it.
If I had the choice again I'd have definitely paid the extra for DSG.

The only issue I've had is with the head unit sometimes not starting the Smartlink app correctly and doesn't establish a connection with a phone, just requires the power button holding for 10 seconds to reboot it.
Lane Assist is a bit rubbish versus my experience with the '17 Civic Type R's lane assist so retrospectively wouldn't have specced it on the car.

Soldato
Lane Assist is a bit rubbish versus my experience with the '17 Civic Type R's lane assist so retrospectively wouldn't have specced it on the car.

I've never had the lane assist on, I've used it on previous vehicles and it's just annoying, but I can see how drivers who lose concentration would need it :D

Associate
I don't think the MIB2 unit became standard until the Facelift, although not 100% sure

MIB2 came in just before the facelift, MY16 so anything built post mid 2015. Amundsen will be 6.5" with MIB2, Columbus remains 8" but with the additional features.

Just what I'm after, I'd of never known about the screen and sat nav. The Leon has the finger print issue, I can live with it, think it's worse as the screen is a matt finish.

So winter pack adds some nice touches, the adaptive cruise control has a different stalk am I right?

No issues with the DSG box? I've been looking at manuals.

Thanks

Yes adaptive cruise has a different stalk. The indicator stalk is more basic and all the cruise functions are on an extra stalk underneath.

DSG box is generally reliable - make sure it has been serviced every 40k. It's the DQ250 6 speed wet clutch box which has been around in various revisions since the original TT and MK4 Golf.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't 100% on the Sat-Nav unit. Mine is a late 2017 (November) and the Clumbus is the MIB2.5 and has the really nice 9.2" screen.
I don't think I'd have specified it if I was buying new - unless money was no object there are more important options, but that bigger screen really is nice.

Soldato
OP
I'm gonna try get my head around the screens, is it easy to tell from photos or do you need to have poke around to tell the different systems?

I know I'm not looking to buy just yet, but most the cars I'd consider look to be a fair distance away with hardly any up locally for sale. Even to two Skoda dealers who are near have no vRS used for sale currently

Point being I think to get the right car I'm likely going to have to travel which is fine but helps being able to confirm things like that adaptive cruise has a separate stalk etc.

Thanks for the info all, very helpful.

Associate
it's a great jack-of-all car. Not as fast/agile as a hot hatch, but it's not too bad and way more practical.

There's a reason so many emergency services use Octavia VRS cars and taxis use the standard Octavia - great cars, for the price. Sure, there are a lot of nicer/quicker options, but they cost a load more.

Moving from a M135i to a 2016 limited edition 230 pre fl VRS hatch almost a year ago. The M135i was stolen and with a baby on the way, I wanted something more practical and less desirable to the thieves, and I think the VRS has ticked the boxes. Sure, I miss the oomph of the M135i, but I can fit 2 mtb bikes in the car with only the front wheel off (had to remove both in the 1 series).

for the pre fl, try and find a 230 (instead of the 220) petrol, as they have the LSD which improves drive/traction - I think these are marked as a ltd edition model, which adds a load of nice features (mine has really nice electric leather seats, tints, bigger sat-nav, power folding mirrors and front parking sensors) - review of the ltd ed: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/skoda/skoda-octavia-vrs-230-2015-review/

If you go post fl, then look for the 245 to get the LSD.

I had the auto on the M135i and missed the manual, so went back to that with the VRS - in reflection, probably a bad move as the DSG is meant to be pretty good (as long as it's serviced).

I also went for the hatch over the estate, as I thought there's a little more privacy when storing stuff (bikes) in the back.

after a year's use:

Good points:
sporty-ish
massive boot space (and decent rear legroom)
comfortable fpr long drives
feels pretty solid and pretty well made
the entire engine is stamped with VW and Audi badges, so shares a lot of parts, which should mean easy to get parts
the 220, 230 and 245 can all be remapped to approx 300bhp (but expect to need a new clutch within 18months, for manuals)

Bad points:
infotainment system is awful, as it is only touch-screen, so have to try and accurately tap the screen while driving - nightmare (especially when it's bumpy). LOTS of annoying quirks with the system, which seem like it's been designed as an afterthought and not tested for usability.
tyres - the standards are Pirelli Pzero which I find pretty poor compared with Pilot Sport 4 that I used on the M135i
19" wheels - think I would have preferred the 18s, especially when it comes to changing tyres and bumpy roads

Associate
I'm gonna try get my head around the screens, is it easy to tell from photos or do you need to have poke around to tell the different systems?
opent he glove box to reveal the SD card slots. Decent satnav has 2 slots here (1 for map and the other for your own music/media)

Point being I think to get the right car I'm likely going to have to travel which is fine but helps being able to confirm things like that adaptive cruise has a separate stalk etc.
if you go for ACC, make sure it's a DSG, as I think it would be a pain to have ACC but still need to change gears.

Associate
I have a pre facelift estate 220. Well it was for a while. These remap really well. I've also upgraded both arbs and dampers/springs and it handles really well. Options wise winter pack is good for heated seats and heated windscreen, canton sound is good. I'd avoid Pano sunroof as these seem to cause lots of problems. With obdeleven I've also coded in cornering fogs and high beam assist. Only big things so far from new are a new uprated clutch (factor this in if you remap a manual car as it will slip eventually) and X few sets of tyres! Michelin pilot sport 4 for the 18"wheels are great

Sat nav is ok but get airplay/android auto enabled as this is much better , albeit 140quid at the dealer

Soldato
opent he glove box to reveal the SD card slots. Decent satnav has 2 slots here (1 for map and the other for your own music/media)

if you go for ACC, make sure it's a DSG, as I think it would be a pain to have ACC but still need to change gears.

I agree, go DSG, but also it's not as bad as other cars as cruise control remains on when clutching and changing gear, unlike other cars where I know as soon as you activate the clutch, it disables cruise.

Soldato
I was wary about the 19" wheels before I purchased - when I first started looking everything I went to see had the standard 18".
The one I eventually purchased ticked lots of boxes and happened to have the 19" wheels. Genuinely I've not noticed a more harsh ride over my Mk2.5 on 18" wheels.
Yes I know I'll end up paying more for tyres, I think a good 18" tyre was costing me around £95 fitted, whereas I'm looking at £125 for 19". The original P Zero's are at 24k miles and still don't need replacing, so it's not as if I'll need them every year or anything silly.

I was definitely prepared to travel. I used Auto Trader and Skoda's website and quite literally searched "anywhere". I'm just outside Cambridge, I drove to Hull to look at one and the one I eventually purchased was in Mansfield.

Back
Top Bottom