Cowboy plumber?

Man of Honour
I had a dream about a badly fitted radiator last night... THANKS! :p :mad:

radiator.jpg

Caporegime

Load of rubbish lol.

I dreamed about a radiator because I read this thread about radiators just before I went to bed!

The radiator I dreamed about was leaking from 3 places on the fittings and I remember saying in the dream "How can someone install a radiator without making sure it actually holds water??" :p

Associate
Looks fine.
Probably just giving your money's worth in PTFE because you paid £150 for a rad fitting.

If they've somehow fitted a much small thread with excessive wrapping and without leaks then I'd just be impressed.

Soldato
It’s a bit messy with the tape but it looks fine. You want at least 6 layers of ptfe on a joint like that, I normally go to 10.

Radiator swaps are what they are, it’s a really easy job but you have to make do with the pipes unless you want to drain the whole thing down and change them which is a far bigger job.

As @Werewolf said you can do so many plumbing jobs which a few cheap, basic tools that most people should have in their toolbox regardless. It’s a really easy skill to learn and can save you a boat load over the years. It’s even easier these days with plastic pipe and dismountable push fit fittings, those things are just like lego.

For £150 you could have bought all the tools you needed and the radiator and still have £50+ left over for a a few crates of pat on the back beer when your done. There are so many guides on YouTube on how to do it. Even for a novice it should only take an hour or two.

Soldato
Don't forget that you need to use a decent amount of PTFE for rad connections.

20 wraps is about the right amount to use and I know for certain when I used more like 10-12, there were a few drops from the valves (stopped now though).

Associate
If the pipes wasn’t quite long enough he should have just used a small radiator tail piece extender there’s no need to bend pipes it’s just bad workmanship really. Do the job yourself it really is a simple job as long as you do your research

Back
Top Bottom