*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
True, but he's already got the Beam and assuming that stays, then the Sonos sub is the only option.

The Sub is brilliant btw. Expensive, but brilliant.

it's the best sub I've ever owned and loud enough to rattle the neighbours windows.

that being said I haven't owned a 17 inch SVS sub so I can't say I've compared it to anything very high end

Soldato
How exactly is SONOS more convenience than an amp and speakers?
Fewer wires, can move them around rooms as requirements change, easy to stream to individually, flexibility in grouping them in different ways ...

Struggling to see any situation where an AMP is more convenient.

Man of Honour
More connectivity, standard connections. If I were to buy a 2.0 soundbar is make sure it has RCA sub out. No way would it be wireless, or require same brand sub
Then SONOS isn't for you, but it is for others. I might find a product thread of something I have no interest in just to post that it's not for me and there's other products I'd rather have. But then I guess I'd risk being called a troll.

Soldato
Is the extra outlay of cost / drop in performance for saving a few minutes of cable tidying worth it?
For the people that buy it yes, obviously :confused:

To hide the cables across 8 rooms and be able to seamlessly configure them all in various groupings in seconds is something that I'm not sure I could achieve with anything other than Sonos.

Soldato
I went with Sonos as our living room has been recently decorated and didn’t fancy having to rip up carpets to lay and hide speaker wire.

Don’t have space for an amp or very tight on our new TV unit where the Xbox resides.

The beam is nice and compact and sits just in front of telly and doesn’t block any of it, only a couple of inches tall.

The finish of the speakers blend well in the room matching furniture, nice compact and look great.

Power outlets are conveniently placed in room for the wireless surrounds. Literally took 10 mins setup rears.

Configuring and tuning was super simple using iPhone mic to calibrate for the room.

I had a Monitor Audio RS silver setup years ago which blow the Sonos out of the water but just the fronts were the best part of a grand and were huge.

A decent compact / easy moveable system just made more sense for our current needs. Convenience

Man of Honour
I had a Monitor Audio RS silver setup years ago which blow the Sonos out of the water but just the fronts were the best part of a grand and were huge.
I've got Monitor Audio Gold 300's and they're massive. I've often thought about getting rid of them purely due to their size and the fact the utterly dominate the living room. But then in my next house I might make a cinema room, in which case I'll definitely have Sonos 5.1 with a Beam in the living room. I've got the Playbar and two One's in the bedroom and it's perfect for the size.

Soldato
I've got Monitor Audio Gold 300's and they're massive. I've often thought about getting rid of them purely due to their size and the fact the utterly dominate the living room. But then in my next house I might make a cinema room, in which case I'll definitely have Sonos 5.1 with a Beam in the living room. I've got the Playbar and two One's in the bedroom and it's perfect for the size.

Yep for a dedicated cinema room Sonos doesn’t make much sense. its more “lifestyle” with good sound to boot more suited to modern living rooms.

Soldato
Yep for a dedicated cinema room Sonos doesn’t make much sense. its more “lifestyle” with good sound to boot more suited to modern living rooms.
Which is exactly what all the audio buffs miss! Yes Sonos is expensive, yes it doesn’t sound as good as a separates system and yes it is missing some codecs and connectivity but as a lifestyle system it is simply unrivalled for style, simplicity and function. I use it every single day and while I’d love to go back to my separates system for the sound I simply don’t have the space for it or enough time for dedicated listening!

Soldato
Which is exactly what all the audio buffs miss! Yes Sonos is expensive, yes it doesn’t sound as good as a separates system and yes it is missing some codecs and connectivity but as a lifestyle system it is simply unrivalled for style, simplicity and function. I use it every single day and while I’d love to go back to my separates system for the sound I simply don’t have the space for it or enough time for dedicated listening!

I look at my Monolith Plus in the corner, all shiny and black, big and square, and I'm like phwhorrrr that's stylish.

So perhaps it's unrivaled in function and simplicity, but not style.

Soldato
I look at my Monolith Plus in the corner, all shiny and black, big and square, and I'm like phwhorrrr that's stylish.

So perhaps it's unrivaled in function and simplicity, but not style.
I guess style is subjective and definitely changes as you age but I no longer know anyone with a massive set of home cinema speakers in their living room and your definitely in a minority that thinks a massive sub is stylish!

Soldato
I guess style is subjective and definitely changes as you age but I no longer know anyone with a massive set of home cinema speakers in their living room and your definitely in a minority that thinks a massive sub is stylish!

The girlfriend is scared looking at it, but I just think it's awesome, a lovely massive sub that can pop your ears in the kitchen.

Associate
Play 5 gen 2 is 399 on Amazon at the min , I think that’s the cheapest I’ve seen it
How many more years do you think the gen 2 will have ? I guess if it was it last the same as the gen 1 it’s still a decent purchase ?

Soldato
Play 5 gen 2 is 399 on Amazon at the min , I think that’s the cheapest I’ve seen it
How many more years do you think the gen 2 will have ? I guess if it was it last the same as the gen 1 it’s still a decent purchase ?
They may even last longer than the gen1 they have significantly more memory etc I was amazed how low the specs on the older ones were!

Associate
Wow you weren't kidding ! I had no idea the specs were quite this low on some of them

Hopefully my original play 1's can stick around for a while :p

yP28veUX8Z55aO7zK2_GOEanPl7fFXgEZ1XaLTWnTL4.png

Back
Top Bottom