Samsung Galaxy Fold - First foldable screen smartphone from Samsung

Caporegime
I doubt it. That wasn't really ever going to be any kind of a race... Maybe before Huawei.

I would say that being able to have a foldable phone to increase screen real estate is probably the next big jump forwards, this is their first attempt and its woefully lacking due to the tech available mainly.

Just seems to be a hugely flawed device that you have to treat like a new born. They jumped the gun launching this by several years at least. If it's not at least as durable as a smartphone of 4-5 years ago then its pointless. Obviously there has to be some give and take with how the screen works so it'll be a while before they are able to launch a version with a durable screen and more dust proof hinge.

Soldato
I can’t see these screens getting much better any time soon, you can’t make flexible glass and flexible transparent plastic scratches really easily.

Even if you sort out the dust issue there is still the scratching problem, unless there is some magic material invented shortly I can’t see this taking off. It’s very easy for us to armchair engineer it and say what would be better but we do have to exist in reality too.

Caporegime
I can’t see these screens getting much better any time soon, you can’t make flexible glass and flexible transparent plastic scratches really easily.

Even if you sort out the dust issue there is still the scratching problem, unless there is some magic material invented shortly I can’t see this taking off. It’s very easy for us to armchair engineer it and say what would be better but we do have to exist in reality too.

Yup, it's limited by whats currently available for them to use in terms of tech. They really went this route far too early and it shows in 2 iterations of the product.

Soldato
I would say that being able to have a foldable phone to increase screen real estate is probably the next big jump forwards, this is their first attempt and its woefully lacking due to the tech available mainly.

Just seems to be a hugely flawed device that you have to treat like a new born. They jumped the gun launching this by several years at least. If it's not at least as durable as a smartphone of 4-5 years ago then its pointless. Obviously there has to be some give and take with how the screen works so it'll be a while before they are able to launch a version with a durable screen and more dust proof hinge.

Yeah, exactly. Apple doesn't really lead the way in innovation. They wait, see what others do and come in doing it properly the first time. There was almost no way they were in a race to get the first foldable phone out.

Soldato
Yes that’s even worse, fragile screen on the outside. Putting aside the scratching issue imagine if you bumped into something like the edge of a table with that in your pocket. It will just kill it.

Soldato
Basically screen technology needs to move on substantially for this concept to become more mainstream. That and battery technology too I imagine so that they can create much slimmer "halves" for it to be comfortably pocketable when folded.

I'm pretty certain Samsung aren't expecting to make a lot of money from this, sounds more like an exercise in getting user feedback for what's currently a cutting edge technology.

LG's screen case is probably the most robust solution on the market right now but obvious drawback is that it's a dual screen setup, rather than one big screen.

Caporegime
And for anyone that wants to take a gamble on $400, i present the "escobar fold 2" (galaxy fold with a skin on it).

Supposedly these are all overstock from suppliers or returns, they only accept bitcoin or bank transfer on their site, though quite a few youtube vids with people receiving them.

Caporegime
These have been in the tech news, I think it's Pablo's son (or something like that) and he want's to remove Apple from the market... seems like a good cause :)

Mad how they're pricing at at $400 instead of well over a grand, seems really scammy but people are receiving them. Seems like they get shipped from Sweden from some of the site info.

Back
Top Bottom