What's your most annoying no.1 in the UK singles chart?

Highly subjective question, so I'll expect different answers here :) It can be novelty records, reality TV, one-hit wonders, or anything that you just really hate!

My top one would have to be "MMMBop" by Hanson. Seeing the little kids on the screen made my skin just wanting to peel off me. It was cringe overload.

3 honourable mentions go to:

"Pure And Simple" by Hear'Say. Similar cringe to Hanson, but also because I've never heard of Popstars before. Therefore I was baffled to how they suddenly appeared in the charts at no.1, when normally I would know all of the new chart entrants beforehand. Plus, I went to an outdoor gig and when the DJ ('DJ' in very loose terms) played Hear'Say, a fight broke out in the crowd and security had to be called.

"Unchained Melody" by Robson & Jerome, because they knocked Livin' Joy's Dreamer from the no.1 spot!

"Ooh Ahh Just A Little Bit" by Gina G. It's mainly because I saw the auditions for who would become the UK's Eurovision entry for 1996. There was one other band who performed a jungle / d'n'b number and I thought that sounded a lot better than Gina G and sounded quite fresh. But no, instead, the judges went for the generic eurodance sound.

Soldato
OP
That song off 4 weddings and a funeral, just wouldn't go away.

I know the film, or know of it at least, but I had to look up what music was from there. Seems like it was Wet Wet Wet's cover song - Love Is All Around! It was in 1994 and was no.1 for like 16 weeks.

Going by your user name though, I did like that Lilo & Stitch no.1 by Elvis / JXL :)

Soldato
I know the film, or know of it at least, but I had to look up what music was from there. Seems like it was Wet Wet Wet's cover song - Love Is All Around! It was in 1994 and was no.1 for like 16 weeks.

Going by your user name though, I did like that Lilo & Stitch no.1 by Elvis / JXL :)

That's the one, wet wet wet, argh!

Yeah, hopeless Lilo n Stitch movie fan here, even after watching it back 20 odd years ago, the love for the movie hasn't yet subsided.

Soldato
OP
I forgot about Crazy Frog!

My issue with it is that I knew it as something else years before it came out. It was a web page called the "ultimate insanity test". It showed you a picture of a Formula One driver in a red/white race car and it played that babbling sound in the background. That was back in 2001. Then 4 years later, it was hijacked and became Crazy Frog.

Back
Top Bottom