What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I've just watched Captain Fantastic, on iPlayer for another 29 days. Not a Marvel movie, or anything close. Didn't expect to watch it all the way through, but found it compelling in a slow, thoughtful kind of way. Might be a Viggo Mortensen thing... he has a brooding presence that adds depth to a role somehow. It's a bit more cheerful than The Road, thankfully, but it made me cry over a character you don't meet. That takes some doing really. 8/10.
I really liked this movie as well. Totally not my thing but I watched all of it and thought about it for a good few days afterwards

Soldato
Ill Manors. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1760967/

Very, very well done and quite shocking in many parts. I tend to find this sort of thing more impactful for some reason when it's an English production compared to say an American one.
The way events were interwoven reminded of a little of watching a Tarantino flick. :cool:

I think the impact is down to relatability, we have a natural cultural disconnect with American productions even though we're saturated by their content.

Ill Manors, Harry Brown and oddly Eden Lake all left lasting impressions. I and i'm sure many others have had first hand negative experience with the elements that run through them, basically chav/wannabe gang culture. There are parts of Harry Brown that actually make me angry as I watch, bring back memories of darker times of my youth and paths luckily avoided.

Caporegime
I think the impact is down to relatability, we have a natural cultural disconnect with American productions even though we're saturated by their content.

Ill Manors, Harry Brown and oddly Eden Lake all left lasting impressions. I and i'm sure many others have had first hand negative experience with the elements that run through them, basically chav/wannabe gang culture. There are parts of Harry Brown that actually make me angry as I watch, bring back memories of darker times of my youth and paths luckily avoided.

Yeah, that makes sense. Very sad throughout the vast majority of it...

...like how the women were not only being forced to do things but that they were there to get beaten up by people that were also sadistic.

I'll check out Eden Lake as I don't believe I've seen that and O'Connell is one of my favourite actors. Cheers.

Soldato
@arc@css Eden Lake is at it's heart a horror movie but it touches on the prevalent chav culture of the time and in regards to the ending...don't read this until you've watched it.

The momentary touch of guilt the teen feels which quickly vanishes as he tries out his new sunglasses with the womans screams in the background turns my stomach to this day

Also the Ill Manors album is worth a listen, he wrote the movie and album in tandem. Not sure of your musical tastes but having already watched the film it might appeal more than it would have otherwise.

One of my favourite memories is seeing Plan B live in concert doing songs from Ill Manors with the relevant movie segments playing on a huge screen behind him.

Don
Parasite - 7/10
Disappointed with this to be honest, couple of decent bits, but ultimately none of the characters are particularly likeable (maybe the point I guess) so I didn’t really care about the outcome.

Associate
Parasite - 7/10
Disappointed with this to be honest, couple of decent bits, but ultimately none of the characters are particularly likeable (maybe the point I guess) so I didn’t really care about the outcome.

I feel the same..

While it is definitely a good movie, I just don't get the absolute hype surrounding it's release!

Soldato
I just don't get the absolute hype surrounding it's release!

I understood the meticulous attention to detail, wonderful cinematography and masterful story telling... after watching countless YouTube videos explaining it. But I'm not that much of a film nerd and on my initial viewing, I found it slow and rather boring. 6/10

Caporegime
Eden Lake. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020530/

At first, I thought I might have already seen this but on reflection, I don't think so.
Anyway, all I can say is excellent, well worth watching.

As the story unfolded I found myself becoming more and more unsure of how things would go, so my advice would be to make sure you watch until the very end.

Associate
Eden Lake. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020530/

At first, I thought I might have already seen this but on reflection, I don't think so.
Anyway, all I can say is excellent, well worth watching.

As the story unfolded I found myself becoming more and more unsure of how things would go, so my advice would be to make sure you watch until the very end.

Watched this many years ago and it's still at the top of my recommendations (along with Landmine Goes Click) for bleak and hopeless movies with an overall theme of unease!

Caporegime
@arc@css curious if you've read my spoiler now and if you felt similar.

Yes, I read it almost immediately after viewing and...

...I can't say I detected the remorse you mention, though maybe I need to watch that bit again. I think my mind was focusing on two other things;
1, in what manner were those three men going to end that poor woman's life (stabbing, I presume; the shrieking is what I won't forget), and 2, that O'Connell might phone the police to stop them killing her (strange to think that he would, I know).
I think what else also has stayed with me is that put simply, it's not a film with even a semi-happy ending. The goodies die and so do a couple of the baddies. Jeez... that poor kid on fire... :(
When that woman was taken in, at first, just for a brief moment, I thought she might be ok as the woman tending to her seemed more civilized. Great recommendation to watch, ta. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom