Help/Advice With Telescope & Camera Setup

Soldato
Morning,

My setup consists of - Celestron Astromaster 130eq & Lumix G80

I've bought an adapter so I can connect my camera to the scope via a 3x Barlow lens. The G80 slides into the Barlow which in turn slides into the scope.

I've taken a picture of a tree about 2-3 miles away, but no matter what I do the picture isnt clear.

Has anyone tried this combination and got great/clear results? I'm not sure the scope mirrors need calibrating or I'm doing something wrong with the camera settings.

I was hoping I would get clear pictures. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here's the pic I took.............

S4a8us0.jpg

Soldato
Not an expert by any means, but it might be an issue with not enough back focus? As in with the Barlow, adapter and camera all attached, the telescope focuser simply can’t move enough to bring the image to focus, it tends to be common on visual only telescopes.
Not used that telescope before, but you could buy a new focuser, but then you start down the road of astrophotography. Not sure of the costs with that, and it might mount won’t be good enough for the weight etc?

Associate
You might be expecting too much from this combination of scope and camera - especially with a 3x barlow in the mix pushing the magnification up even more. Terrestrial scenes also suffer from atmospheric aberrations more so not a good way of assessing performance. What were you hoping to achieve with this setup?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the comments/help.

You might be expecting too much from this combination of scope and camera - especially with a 3x barlow in the mix pushing the magnification up even more. Terrestrial scenes also suffer from atmospheric aberrations more so not a good way of assessing performance. What were you hoping to achieve with this setup?

I want to be able to take good photos of the Moon, and whatever else is up there.

As I work nights its always cloudy when Im off. And I thought that if I can take a picture of a tree (i know its basic, but the one above is about 2-3 miles away) and it comes out clear then the Moon should be a piece of cake.

But as I cant get any sort of focus Im going to struggle with the moon.

Using the 3x Barlow was the only way I can get an image. I was hoping that I could just drop the camera in the focus tube and get an image that way.

I still need to mess about with settings etc, as there's no proper lens connected I didnt use the correct focal length when I turned the camera on.

Vader, Ian, Sonic and Chris - thanks for the input/links/help. There's so much to learn from this.

Associate
I think you've discovered that scope isn't really suited to photographic use, it is really intended as a visual instrument. However, with a 1-1/4" eyepiece type camera you can probably get enough back focus to attain primary focus without the use of a barlow. With the 55mm (or so..) back focus requirement of a DSLR-type camera that isn't possible. The only other way would be to move the primary mirror up the tube to push the focus point further out. Another way is to use 'afocal' projection with a camera lens/eyepiece but the setup then gets so unstable I really wouldn't go there. So if you're asking how to make this all work better with your current kit I'm afraid I don't have any helpful answer. Astrophotography is a rabbit hole of a money pit which you really don't want to go down unless commited. Ask how I know this lol!

Edit: this is what happens when it gets out of hand :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
edit: this is what happens when it gets out of hand :)

:eek::eek: That looks awesome, and so expensive lol. The pictures from it would be stunning

I think unless you're willing to spend big money on a telescope setup, for near objects like the moon you're better off with decent telephoto lens and a good tripod. You can get pretty decent results with a tracking mount like this for widefield and larger DSO's like andromeda, Orion nebula etc: http://skywatcher.com/product/star-adventurer/

Yeah, Ive been looking at something like this for moon and nebula's, but the cost for a decent lens is quite high. Although I have bought a Nikon lens (cheap 70-300mm) with adapter for my camera. With the storms we've had I've not tried it yet.

The scope I got was a basic one, and if things worked out for me with pics, then I was going to look into getting a better one. I have a few bookmarked so I will see what they can do that the one I have can't.

Again, thanks for the input and help. I have a lot to look into and read.

Cheers guys :)

Associate
A small refractor (80mm or so) is a better choice for beginning astrophotography than a reflector. They can be had fairly cheaply too! Get one specified as at least 'ED' or better still an APO (apochromatic), but the latter are more expensive. I have used a 80mm TV Pronto for many years as my lunar scope for photographing lunar eclipses and so on. Its bigger sister is my favourite wide-field scope for nebulae (a TV 5-1/2" refractor).

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I'll have a look when I get home.

*edit*

Ive had a look at a few scopes, and getting more confused lol

Have a few bookmarked and will have a good read over the next few days.

Im almost certain to come back here and ask more questions :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Second market may be a good option.

A good f4 400mm lens would be great for Astro.

My baby Pentax 105SDP is 670mm fl f13 but the image is flat as a pancake :) remember you’re talking photons so f13 is quite slow taking an image.

as Chris has said ED APO means all the visual wavelengths are brought to the same point on the camera sensor. It requires additional lense elements.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the late reply.

At the moment, Im looking at the William Optics Zenithstar 61. The price seems ok but then you have the added accessories which will bump the cost up a little bit more.

The size is nice and portable, and the reviews are good. I just have to look into it a little bit more and then pull the trigger on buying it.

Thanks again for all the input.

Soldato
WO Zenothstar 61

it may be worth trying out the field of view using something like stellarrium or one of the web sites - input your fl, sensor size etc and you’ll see the sky image to scale.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astronomy-field-view-calculator/

that way you’ll not find your shocked by how wide field it will be.
The narrower the fov, the more aperture needed to keep the speed. Also the steadier the mount and tracking.. the more expensive it becomes.

Soldato
OP
xmeNj6F.jpg

I've bookmarked a few scopes from suggestions above and from smr, thanks again.

I got a cheap 800mm chinese lens and tried the moon. The above is what I ended up with, made up of 2 images stacked.

Back
Top Bottom