Lord Steel gets thrown under bus!

Soldato
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018573/Liberal-Democrats-expel-ex-leader-David-Steel.html

Oh come on, EVERYBODY must have known/had_suspicions!

Like with Saville, Even in the wider public everybody, back in the 70's/80's knew (Or suspected) that the Liberal party was riddled with perverts of one flavour or another.

The standing joke at the time was always about how "Liberal" they actually were!

Singling out Steel at this point (Particularly since he was one of the better ones) and saying that it was all his fault is pretty outrageous really!

:/

Caporegime
Ah more outrage for the plebians to ignore the real issues. I wont debase myself reading the DM.

The headline is all the information required.

Soldato
OP
Ah more outrage for the plebians to ignore the real issues. I wont debase myself reading the DM.

The headline is all the information required.

And I wont post links to paywalled sites, I consider it bad form! (Or find a story on DM and then waste time looking for obscure non-paywalled ones that are telling the same story)

Linking to (say) the telegraph to tell the same story is a form of intellectual snobbery.

Not only "Oh look at me I read a "Proper" newspaper"

But also I am paying for it too! so I am better than you!

:p

Soldato
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018573/Liberal-Democrats-expel-ex-leader-David-Steel.html

Oh come on, EVERYBODY must have known/had_suspicions!

Like with Saville, Even in the wider public everybody, back in the 70's/80's knew (Or suspected) that the Liberal party was riddled with perverts of one flavour or another.

The standing joke at the time was always about how "Liberal" they actually were!

Singling out Steel at this point (Particularly since he was one of the better ones) and saying that it was all his fault is pretty outrageous really

:/

Actually no, not everyone knew that Cyril Smith was anything except a grossly fat MP. if the child molestation had been widely known as you infer, he would have had a good kicking in those less PC times. Cover ups were more successful as a pliable police force could be had (as for Saville). The joke about liberals was the slightly weird policies that they tended to adopt. One thing that the Web has informed is this topic, consider Rotherham etc. amongst all the otherwise general hysteria.

Soldato
OP
Actually no, not everyone knew that Cyril Smith was anything except a grossly fat MP. if the child molestation had been widely known as you infer, he would have had a good kicking in those less PC times. Cover ups were more successful as a pliable police force could be had (as for Saville). The joke about liberals was the slightly weird policies that they tended to adopt. One thing that the Web has informed is this topic, consider Rotherham etc. amongst all the otherwise general hysteria.

Yes, Weird policies, that was all it was! :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorpe_affair

Soldato
I thought this had happened years ago when the allegations against Cyril Smith first came up. The response back then being that, as no criminal charges were brought against Smith, the party could hardly throw him out for an unproven crime.

Soldato
Everyone knew about Cyril Smith for years, even outside the Lib Dem party.

It was common knowledge, and Steel helped in covering it up by not being forthcoming with the information he had. In effect by him not taking a stand against Smith he allowed him to have more credability than he deserved.

Permabanned
I remember in the summer of 1978 I found myself, late one night, in the lounge of the Cisswood House Hotel near Horsham indulging in a few whiskies before bed. I recall another guest, a young David Steel, sitting a few tables away deeply engrossed in some paperwork. I sidled up to him an engaged him in conversation and it must have been at least 4am by the time we parted company and retired for the evening.

Mr Steel was a throroughly nice chap and a prodigious drinker, we shared a passion for gardening and in particular growing our own vegetables. He told me that he'd first gotten into gardening when, at the age of 15, he decided to become a monk. He was enamoured with the promise of living a more pious life, but after several years in the brotherhood and not once having any kind of pie during those years, he left embittered by what he saw to be a false promise. Despite this, his love for all things horticultural stayed with him.

Soldato
Different way of doing things, all cover ups, the problem must have been rampant then like the Catholic church so seemed easier to coverup rather than let the flood gates open.

Soldato
I remember in the summer of 1978 I found myself, late one night, in the lounge of the Cisswood House Hotel near Horsham indulging in a few whiskies before bed. I recall another guest, a young David Steel, sitting a few tables away deeply engrossed in some paperwork. I sidled up to him an engaged him in conversation and it must have been at least 4am by the time we parted company and retired for the evening.

Mr Steel was a throroughly nice chap and a prodigious drinker, we shared a passion for gardening and in particular growing our own vegetables. He told me that he'd first gotten into gardening when, at the age of 15, he decided to become a monk. He was enamoured with the promise of living a more pious life, but after several years in the brotherhood and not once having any kind of pie during those years, he left embittered by what he saw to be a false promise. Despite this, his love for all things horticultural stayed with him.

L9ALxIO.gif

UuAxaTi.gif

Back
Top Bottom