LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure I'd hold out much hope of the 38WN95C being THAT much cheaper... it should be, but unless the other 38" models coming to market drive prices down (unlikely given the secret monitor cabal that ensures LCD prices stay stratospheric), there's not going to be anywhere near as much difference between these models as some people seem to hope/think. Plus there's going to be a LONG wait for it... might not even be this year if past form is followed, but we'll see. One could argue a delay could help if the current model becomes cheaper in the meantime, but 34" ultrawides took forever to fall in price, and I expect 38" to be the same. :rolleyes:

Associate
When the GN950 and WN95C drop, LG will go from (1) 38" 144hz sku to (3) 38" 144hz sku's. In addition to other brand's 38" 144hz offerings (MSI, Acer etc) I think the prices will likely go down.

Right now the 38GL950 has a price premium for being the only one of it's kind on the market. That will change when there are more choices and options at this size. Especially sans an expensive $$$ G-Sync Module

I see prices settling around $1499

Associate
You forget that we are talking about the exact same panel for all these monitors. Yes there might be more SKU and more brands, but it's still the exact same panel produced by LG. It's not like Acer and MSI suddenly start producing panels. They just purchase it from LG and slap a plastic frame and a logo on it and ship it. The pricing can be entirely dictated by LG producing the panel. So expect them all to be in the same pricing range, with minor differences depending on added G-Sync module, RGB or other external things.

Associate
No I didn't forget. LG is the only one producing the panel, and they go from supplying panels from one in house sku, to 3 in house skus and 2+ outside brand skus with said panel, that means they're having good enough yields to go from supplying panels for 1 display to 5+ displays. Good yields = cheaper price.

If they were having bad yields and limited production, you'd think they'd allocate as many panels to one sku as possible. But they're not, they're expanding.

So expect them to be cheaper, especially sans G-Sync module which I already noted. Pretty simple.

Caporegime
If there is a market for 5+ displays at this price, you can forget them getting cheaper. Good yields = more profit.

Indeed which is why OLED panels still command a price premium despite them getting cheaper and cheaper every day and being the most profitable panels that manufacturers make by a huge margin.

Associate
not if you have no competition

If LG is the only one producing fast 38" IPS panels (or OLED panels), and there is a market for those...

Soldato
OP
I don't think you understand how yields in manufacturing works.

Better yields = more supply.

more supply = cheaper prices.

Pretty basic.

Only this is not what happened with 34" Ultrawides, so I don't know why you think it will happen with the 38" varieties. Just how much of a price drop are you expecting here?? It took a long time for the 34" models to drop in price, and in reality, they didn't even drop that much. Still haven't actually, save for newer cheaper models that have come to market.

Associate
I have my new LG 38GL950 :)
However I am having trouble - in the Nvidia Control Panel I can only select 85Hz or 60Hz
I have overdrive enabled in the LG monitor settings.
I am running in Native Resolution of 3840 x 1600
I have the latest Nvidia Driver
Also on Nvidia Colour settings if I select RGB, Output Dynamic Range to Full - apply; it goes back to YCbCr422 with Dynamic range = Limited

** PLEASE HELP **

Associate
Think I may of sorted it; Switched off Overdrive in the monitor display; then CHANGED the Display port cable to the one that came with the monitor and now I have 144Hz has a selection :)

Associate
still got one issue - on the Colour settings within Nvidia Control Panel:-
Colour depth i choose - 32bit
Colour depth i can only choose 8bpc, when Colour format = RGB
Dynamic Range = Full.

So PC Resolution over DP = 3840 x 1600 @ 144Hz
If I select Use Nvidia colour settings
Highest - 32bit
8 bpc
format = RGB
I then have Full dynamic range to select...

(my graphics card is a Asus 2080 Super EVO OC)

Does this sound right?? - should I not have 10bpc colour depth to choose?

sorry for all the posts; I am stressing myself out here i have done something wrong..

Associate
Hi Alec, brilliant thank you for the clear advice. Just played Wolfenstein Youngblood - with my new monitor and my overclockers custom PC i had a few weeks ago; oh my god - i am blown away.... so smooth and constantly 90fps and above :) Love it.

Associate
All set up. Looks so much larger in person, what a monitor this is!
http://imgur.com/a/2cQWpgo

Edit: I tried inserting an image and now the image tag seems to be stuck there :/
2cQWpgo

Back
Top Bottom