What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
@arc@css the remorse is just maybe a short 4/5 second pause before he pulls out the phone. I could be misreading it but I saw it as a bit of an on the nose commentary about the lack of attention with youth and how easily distracted they are. Even from utterly vile things they've done.

Glad you enjoyed it though, if enjoy is the right word.

Caporegime
@arc@css the remorse is just maybe a short 4/5 second pause before he pulls out the phone. I could be misreading it but I saw it as a bit of an on the nose commentary about the lack of attention with youth and how easily distracted they are. Even from utterly vile things they've done.

Glad you enjoyed it though, if enjoy is the right word.

Yes, attention spans and all that, very true. I think this is down at least in part to the internet/modern media production/too much choice. In fact, I was only thinking the other day about this and the final moment in the vanilla version of Clear Sky came to mind (it might not resonate with others but it's what came to mind anyway):

Caporegime
Eden Lake. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020530/

At first, I thought I might have already seen this but on reflection, I don't think so.
Anyway, all I can say is excellent, well worth watching.

As the story unfolded I found myself becoming more and more unsure of how things would go, so my advice would be to make sure you watch until the very end.

It's one of my favourite movies, just due to the pure bleakness of it all. It's something that just gets so out of hand so easily, that it seems tragically real.

Soldato
Butterfly Effect is great but not sure if I saw the original or the alternate cut, the version I watched had a very dark ending in that...

To prevent everything that ever went wrong, he travels back to himself in the womb and twists around and strangles himself with his own umbilical cord

Also has a line that makes me shudder to this day when confronted by someone in prison holding a knife who wants to make sweet love to him -
"Your blood on my knife or your **** (poop) on my **** (willy)" :D

Sequels are terri-bad though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Butterfly Effect is great but not sure if I saw the original or the alternate cut, the version I watched had a very dark ending in that...

To prevent everything that ever went wrong, he travels back to himself in the womb and twists around and strangles himself with his own umbilical cord

Also has a line that makes me shudder to this day when confronted by someone in prison holding a knife who wants to make sweet love to him -

Sequels are terri-bad though.

That's the alternate, and superior, ending.

Caporegime
Just the saw The Butterfly Effect. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289879/

I'd seen a good chunk of it before but not all of it so I was determined to check it fully out this time.

I definitely enjoyed it but, I'm not sure why I didn't like it as much as others seem to as it would appear to be my sort of film.

Maybe it needs another viewing at a later date.

Last edited:
Soldato
Movie night at my nephews place with Domino's pizza, popcorn, M&Ms, you name it.

Godzilla King of The Monsters. 5/10. Amazing special effects. Watched on a 55" 4K with Sonos front, rear and sub system, sounded incredible. The movie itself is completely forgettable though, I couldn't get into it like I could with King Kong.

Followed by 1917. 8/10. Brilliant movie, really well done and very absorbing.

Soldato
Shaun Of The Dead - 9.5/10

Still the best of the Cornetto trilogy and almost perfect in every way. Though I have to confess Nick Frost's layabout oaf has not stood the test of time and more irritating than funny.

Soldato
Talking of bleak films, I just watched Threads for the first time. Jeezo. Makes The Road seem like Carry On Camping.

I keep meaning to watch Threads, I couldn't find it on a streaming service last time I checked?

Watched Joker the other day. 9/10 for me, just one of those films where everything is just right, Phoenix is great, cinematography is amazing, it's not too long, paced well. The scene on the TV show near the end was a delicious slice of tense cinema. Even the missus enjoyed it which is a first for a comic book film.

Soldato
I keep meaning to watch Threads, I couldn't find it on a streaming service last time I checked?

Watched Joker the other day. 9/10 for me, just one of those films where everything is just right, Phoenix is great, cinematography is amazing, it's not too long, paced well. The scene on the TV show near the end was a delicious slice of tense cinema. Even the missus enjoyed it which is a first for a comic book film.

I had to get Threads from other sources...

Funnily enough I also watched Joker a few days ago too. An excellent film but I wouldn’t call it a comic book film. It’s primarily a film about mental illness with the Joker aspect (very well) shoe horned in. If there were no references to Bruce Wayne then it would be a film about a man influenced by the comics...

Soldato
That's the alternate, and superior, ending.

I always thought the theatrical cut ending would have caused more of an impact on him and thus more of a sacrifice as he has to go through his whole life knowing he can never have what he truly wants rather than just ending it. The baby fetus suicide is more shocking though I guess.

Great film though.

Soldato
@ShortWarning Whats the regular ending?

It's been a long time since I've seen it but he goes back to the girls 8th Birthday (I forget her name) and shouts at her like a weirdo so that she never wants to be friends with him in the first place.
For me knowing that he could try to make amends with her at any point in his life but choosing not to because of the destruction it will inevitably cause is a more powerful than "he never existed". I do understand preferring the other ending though.

Back
Top Bottom