**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
You can literally undo all of that in 5 minutes, My s8+ is currently looking the exact same as a pixel pretty much.

It's a pain having to turn stuff off and configure stuff - but by and large I agree with this. There's not too much I still miss from having my Pixel compared to the current Samsung software. The OneUI launcher isn't great though, so if you change launcher at the moment you lose the Android 10 full gestures and have to use Samsung's version.

Caporegime
I had a Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p, back when Google sold reasonably priced phones with the 'pure' Android OS.

I got the Samsung S8 and then the S9+, but I don't really use any of the Samsung apps. So like somebody said, 5 mins and you can basically make it exactly like a Google phones.

It did baffle me to find people actually use Samsungs own browser though.

Edit - Looking at the specs, the S20 Ultra is still less wide than the Nexus 6p and I never really had issues with that phone.

Soldato
It did baffle me to find people actually use Samsungs own browser though.

Why on earth would you be baffled that people enjoy different software to your preference? People like what suits them best, irrespective of what suits you best.

Samsung internet is the only browser I can use entirely one handed. Sure on Chrome you can move the menu bar to the bottom if you muck about, but the favourites menu is still out of reach.

Soldato
I kind of want a new phone as my S9 approaches 2 years old now, but at the same time I am not totally sold on the S20 series.

The stock S20 would seem to have the best form factor for me, but lacks on features compared to the bigger models.

The bigger models seem to have the right features, but are roughly the size of the Note phones, which to me is a bit on the large size.

All of them drop the 3.5mm jack support which is a pain, I currently hook up my phone using this to the car for Spotify, although not itself insurmountable.

I was considering instead opting for an S10 variant, as they still have the 3.5mm jack, and I hope to see some deals on them pop up now the new phones are coming.

Only thing putting me off the S10's is reports I've seen that the camera software is a bit rubbish out of the box, the S9 is reasonable enough for me, but lots of people said the S10 had poor low light performance, and didn't look as good as the Pixels.

Soldato
The Samsung upgrade is just an option, there is no need to take it up, you are entered into it by default if you take advantage 0% finance from Samsung/Klarna, you can ignore it and just pay off your phone as normal and do what ever you like come the second year.
They are now separate this year.

The 0% is simple finance over 24 months.

The upgrade programme is a 10% deposit, 23 monthly payments that make up 70% of the value of the phone and then a 20% balloon payment in the 24th month. Much like a car PCP style of finance.

This is new for this year.

Associate
They are now separate this year.

The 0% is simple finance over 24 months.

The upgrade programme is a 10% deposit, 23 monthly payments that make up 70% of the value of the phone and then a 20% balloon payment in the 24th month. Much like a car PCP style of finance.

This is new for this year.

It is still 0%, so not that different really just lower monthly due to the larger bookend payments.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you were getting an Ultra on contract then £50 a month would be required to pay for the phone interest free over 24 months. You'd then maybe say somewhere north of £20 for your network. Soon adds up. But no different to cars or any other consumer goods in that you decide what you want to pay. As time goes on there are savings to be had as retailers start to discount phones, or phones and contracts. I personally don't bother getting a phone on contract preferring to buy when they become discounted or even in the case of current phone second hand. Cost me £70 to swap from an S9+ to S10, selling S9+ to recyclers and buying off ebay. Sold to recyclers on a 20% offer before Christmas. Both selling to those guys and to an extent, buying off ebay not for those who may not want any hassle :D
I upgrade around every 4 years by buying phones outright and then getting a cheap sim. Last went from a Note 3 to a S9+ which cost me around £500 after cashback which was a great price at the time for a phone that had only come out a few month before. Right now I have no desire to upgrade at all. Nothing out there offers anything worth the time and money involved in upgrading imo.

Getting new phones used to be exciting before, I used to upgrade every year or two. At the rate of progress we are making with phones every generation, I may even end up using my S9+ even longer than 4 years. Still got mine in a case, will eventually start using it without a case (I am not a dropper) as these phones do look much better when not in a case so it will feel like an upgrade right there :D

Associate
Agreed, I have a note 10+ and one plus 7 pro and thinking they are close to the peak of smart phones.

Looked at the S20 ultra and have a preorder, was about to cancel but held off . Reason for the upgrade is note 10+ camera is woeful in anything but perfect light, so is the one plus 7 pro (solved by GCam), the one plus refresh is also great.

The only reason I want the S20 ultra is for the camera (still have concerns that this won't be as good as hyped), battery and 120hz refresh. Hopefully bring together the best of my op7 and note 10+

Do feel a bit short chained by getting a Exynos chip though

Soldato
Agreed, I have a note 10+ and one plus 7 pro and thinking they are close to the peak of smart phones.

I enjoy reading your posts. You are clearly as conflicted as I am and struggling with the eternal hunt for the non-existent perfect smart phone in order to convince yourself that it'll be a device you'll keep for "a long time". :D

Back
Top Bottom