• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 2060 KO or 5700? (Resolved - 2060 used)

Soldato
OP
The drivers for the 5700 work fine, not perfect, as still theres a few things to iron out because the card has only been released about 5months ago.....

When I bought my r9 290 about 2 yrs after it got released, the drivers worked flawless and didnt have any problems. But I cant say if I have had any speed boost over the yrs of having the card, as I rarely run benchmarks

Seems to me that the 5700 is the better alround card. In my case, for the money, I couldn't turn the 2060 down. * crosses fingers *.

Associate
The drivers for the 5700 work fine, not perfect, as still theres a few things to iron out because the card has only been released about 5months ago.....

When I bought my r9 290 about 2 yrs after it got released, the drivers worked flawless and didnt have any problems. But I cant say if I have had any speed boost over the yrs of having the card, as I rarely run benchmarks

You may not be having issues, but there's plenty who are and that would be enough to put me off even considering or recommending one. I just recall seeing synthetic benchmarks where the Vega cards were always better than the GTX1070 - GTX1080 on release, but always lost out in raw FPS in games, which was strange, as clearly they were the more powerful cards. Turns out they are, but years down the line... each to their own, but I'd rather pay a little more and get a card which performs 100% the moment I buy and install it. The 5700xt may end up being faster than a 2080s in a few years time, but this is where the lines blur, some call it fine wine, I call it crappy drivers/support.

Soldato
You may not be having issues, but there's plenty who are and that would be enough to put me off even considering or recommending one. I just recall seeing synthetic benchmarks where the Vega cards were always better than the GTX1070 - GTX1080 on release, but always lost out in raw FPS in games, which was strange, as clearly they were the more powerful cards. Turns out they are, but years down the line... each to their own, but I'd rather pay a little more and get a card which performs 100% the moment I buy and install it. The 5700xt may end up being faster than a 2080s in a few years time, but this is where the lines blur, some call it fine wine, I call it crappy drivers/support.

Well isn't it the same with everything,, the first few releases of drivers are always buggy with new stuff just out?....... I can remember when my ATI 3870 had teething problems when I first got it and they had only been out for a short amount of time when I bought it.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah there can be teething problems with bugs etc, but I'm meaning more that the drivers don't give the cards best performance out the gates. It's then thre length of time it takes to get to that point... so thre 5700s may do the same, but thre bigger issue are thre crashes a lot of users are experiencing and thre black screens etc. 5 months in that's unacceptable to me, maybe I'm just impatient?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah there can be teething problems with bugs etc, but I'm meaning more that the drivers don't give the cards best performance out the gates. It's then thre length of time it takes to get to that point... so thre 5700s may do the same, but thre bigger issue are thre crashes a lot of users are experiencing and thre black screens etc. 5 months in that's unacceptable to me, maybe I'm just impatient?

I dont think your being fair in comparison, either intel or nvidia when it comes to drivers do you understand the resources and budget these colossus' have to throw at it? Just head over to their support forums too and the same complaints from users are there. I would say half of the issues being raised are due to PEBKAC.

Soldato

Watch this video.

I've found that those who come from a budge PC that has piece meal upgrades to it seem to always have issues. IE: Low end graphics cards...(GTX 560, 570, etc)
Just as this video shows they try to use a low end power supply with a single pcie cable to now power a higher end video card. And, I watched the original video of this back 5 or so months back. It has been edited since then as you will see it fade to black a few seconds in watching it. There was a lot more commentary with the 5700xt on it's pc bench as shown in the beginning but was edited out. I can only assume do to the backlash in the comments section. She clearly says she uploaded that video but I can no longer find it.

Some are smart enough to come to forums like here to inquire "what's wrong". However, some don't and just claim "it didn't work" because they lacked basic rudimentary skills to understand the basic dynamics of how PC works.

And it goes further then that. Some don't and don't ask about
-old nvidia drivers they never uninstalled
-use an extension cord with a 3-4 way plug to power their PC and other household items
-still use riser cards
-use modified win10 install builds from others that use Rufus with important data taken out
-using a very old PC with a very old chipset that may not be compatible.
-do not use a rated power supply ample to power their video card and PC and still be within 80% of power used. Or simply stay within the power efficiency envelope of the PSU.

Cliffs:
I found that those who come from very low end video cards (which usually entails low end, old PC builds) don't seem to understand that you have to do more in upgrading the PC then just buy a higher end video card for 2012 pc build using antiquated psu, chipset, PC Case (poor airflow), etc. Then complain the 5700 CTD, Blackscreen, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah cards behave differently in different pc's no matter what brand it is...... ie, a card might work perfect in 1 pc and not in another, mainly down to the drivers or the card isnt playing nice with another bit of hardware in the pc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Another story about AMD and their countless blunders with this range telling the AIBs to use the wrong mounting pressure so cooling less efficiently.

Asus sidestepping is old news. Dont jump on the bandwagon, the other AIBs put on memory cooling and managed the temps. Gotta DYOR and whittle out the fake news.

27s in:
The deal-breaker was the memory cooling..

The first video they put out was 23rd October, so this was well known by then. Its simply a defective product that Asus put out, with no quality control or adequate testing.

Like a couple of forumites on here have stated already, its a cheesy collusion by nvidia and the FUD brigade as they have seen whats happened to intel on the other component battleground.

Its not that AMD gpu's are anything special, but spreading negative tactics is cheap instead of just focusing on launching something that would speak volumes of its own with the 3080 would look far better and more professional.

Last edited:
Soldato
Asus sidestepping is old news. Dont jump on the bandwagon, the other AIBs put on memory cooling and managed the temps. Gotta DYOR and whittle out the fake news.

27s in:
:confused: Aw bless, you defend them son, you do it :p

Fakenews, give it a rest. If any of these happened to an Nvidia product each news item would have its own thread.

Soldato
:confused: Aw bless, you defend them son, you do it :p

Fakenews, give it a rest. If any of these happened to an Nvidia product each news item would have its own thread.

No actually Asus is to blame in this case - it seems they didn't do any QA because if there was a problem with mounting pressure testing would have shown this.

Also,last time I checked both AMD and Nvidia reference coolers were criticised for their problems by review sites. Or have you missed all the tech sites moaning at AMD stock coolers or showing issues with the Nvidia FE coolers.

Last edited:
Soldato
ASUS beg to differ and with all the problems this series has had I am more likely to take their side ;)

Nah,I have an Asus motherboard,but I don't need to defend them as their AM4 B450 mATX/ATX motherboards had subpar heatsinks,and they have mucked up before.

Asus have made a lot of products with subpar testing - there is a whole range of FX series gaming laptops which overheat,so much so you see them always on discount - IIRC it was the FX503, FX504 and FX505 series with cool running Nvidia mobile chips such as the GTX1060 which sip power. The GL703 was another one.

Also again explain to me,if the mounting pressure specifications were wrong,how come during QA/QC this wasn't picked up - in product development you need to test the complete product. Gamersnexus actually visited testing facilities for the companies which make the graphics cards,and they test all cards to make sure they are within specific thermal limits. They put each card under a large thermal stress for upto 30 minutes IIRC to make sure the cards operate OK.

If there was a problem - Asus should have fixed it as it's a custom card,not an AMD reference design.AMD gets all the flack it deserves for **** poor reference coolers and drivers,but Asus gets defended everytime it releases its next overpriced,poor product. Moreover if the mounting specifications were wrong how come Gigabyte,Sapphire and Powercolor are fine?? Oh,so they actually did testing and made sure the coolers worked.

So basically you are admitting Asus,sent out cards which failed QA and QC testing,and then moaned when review sites found out they have screwed up the coolers.

Edit!!

Apparently their GL502 also:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/10/asus_gaming_settlement_overheating/

Asus is set to pay gamers in America up to $320 each and cover the cost of new motherboards and power adapters for a couple of its defective laptops.

The Taiwanese computer slinger sold just under 25,000 of the two affected Rog Strix laptops (GL502VS and GL502VSK) models, advertising them as portable gaming machines. Neither the notebooks' cooling nor power systems could handle the energy output and draw of the systems' processors. The computers became hot to the touch, and the battery would drain even when plugged into an electrical outlet, a class-action lawsuit brought against the manufacturer last May claimed

Are we going to blame Nvidia for not giving out proper cooling specifications...thought not(it is still an Asus problem).

Criticising AMD does not absolve Asus for doing a poor job.....it is not mutually exclusive!

Both can be rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah,I have an Asus motherboard,but I don't need to defend them as their AM4 B450 mATX/ATX motherboards had subpar heatsinks,and they have mucked up before.

Asus have made a lot of products with subpar testing - there is a whole range of FX series gaming laptops which overheat,so much so you see them always on discount - IIRC it was the FX503, FX504 and FX505 series with cool running Nvidia mobile chips such as the GTX1060 which sip power. The GL703 was another one.

Also again explain to me,if the mounting pressure specifications were wrong,how come during QA/QC this wasn't picked up - in product development you need to test the complete product. Gamersnexus actually visited testing facilities for the companies which make the graphics cards,and they test all cards to make sure they are within specific thermal limits. They put each card under a large thermal stress for upto 30 minutes IIRC to make sure the cards operate OK.

If there was a problem - Asus should have fixed it as it's a custom card,not an AMD reference design.AMD gets all the flack it deserves for **** poor reference coolers and drivers,but Asus gets defended everytime it releases its next overpriced,poor product. Moreover if the mounting specifications were wrong how come Gigabyte,Sapphire and Powercolor are fine?? Oh,so they actually did testing and made sure the coolers worked.

So basically you are admitting Asus,sent out cards which failed QA and QC testing,and then moaned when review sites found out they have screwed up the coolers.

Edit!!

Apparently their GL502 also:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/10/asus_gaming_settlement_overheating/

Are we going to blame Nvidia for not giving out proper cooling specifications...thought not(it is still an Asus problem).

Criticising AMD does not absolve Asus for doing a poor job.....it is not mutually exclusive!

Both can be rubbish.

Did Nvidia give out incorrect info on that laptop? Is that what you are saying? Where does it mention that...oh it doesnt :p Whereas ASUS is saying AMD is at fault for providing rubbish specs.

GN went to MSI.

Soldato
OP
Definity the 2060KO.

Another story about AMD and their countless blunders with this range telling the AIBs to use the wrong mounting pressure so cooling less efficiently.

https://www.techradar.com/news/asus-admits-rog-strix-rx-5700-gpu-cooling-problems-and-blames-amd

Really... Really? You do realize that all the sites just parroted what ASUS misinformation put out. It was more than just the screws or pressure.. They completely failed to adequately secure the cooler to the card, and are trying to restore their rep by blaming AMD.

Let me just put only 2 lug nuts out of five on my wheels, but to the "recommended" pressure.... Oh.... Nissan.... Look what you did... Etc etc.

Soldato
Really... Really? You do realize that all the sites just parroted what ASUS misinformation put out. It was more than just the screws or pressure.. They completely failed to adequately secure the cooler to the card, and are trying to restore their rep by blaming AMD.

Let me just put only 2 lug nuts out of five on my wheels, but to the "recommended" pressure.... Oh.... Nissan.... Look what you did... Etc etc.

Where does it say they used fewer screws than recommended :confused: Your analogy makes no sense?

Why is it 'misinformation'? Just because you don't agree with the narrative. AMD has had plenty of time to reply to this story but has stayed silent.

Last edited:
Soldato

And Vega was better for the most part, if you setup the card properly, even at release. The thing is AMD haven't been great at delivering that perfect "outta the box" experience and also have a tendency to push their cards to hard on the voltage side leading to less than stellar performance, increased heat output and noise. Why this is I don't understand as you clearly cannot count on the press(techtubers) to figure this stuff out until months and months later where they wont bother anyway. It all leads to incorrect launch charts that everyone uses for comparison. Fine Wine doesn't mean(or shouldn't mean) that the cards gets faster but is more about proper support for longer than what the green team does leading to better performance for older cards 3 years down the line.

On a side note, my Vega 64 nitro+ has been underclocked slightly and undervolted. That is it yet i'm pulling numbers that beats the RTX 2060 and matches the RX 5700 NON XT. Not to bad for a repurposed compute card. Yet reviews on the net would have the card way lower than the RTX 2060.

Associate
ASUS beg to differ and with all the problems this series has had I am more likely to take their side ;)
ASUS AMD cards have sucked since r9 200/300 series. Afaik they just slap on their Nvidia coolers on R9/Fury/Vega hence the terrible temps, and they still had the cheek to charge a premium for them. The power of ROG marketing :D

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for AMD cards.

Back
Top Bottom