Do you agree with Ninja regarding Losing?

Soldato
Lets be honest, its not a real sport. I used to get frustrated at some games, but not angry lol

He is going to get trolled with "its just a game" every time he loses now.

Associate
Personal preference. Some people can't accept others have a different POV and enjoy different things.

Competitive games are fun for some, the additional challenge for example. But if my time is limited because more enjoyable things have priority, i'm not gonna be bothered about losing as much due to knowing practise time is limited and therefore the reason for sub par performance.

"Just a game", can either be an honest comment or salt, depends on person.

*Shrugs*

Soldato
It all depends on your motivations. If you play a game to be good at it then you will have this mindset. If you play a game purely to pass the time then you don’t care about getting better.

Soldato
I used to care, then I grew up.

Indeed.

There's getting frustrated and then there's throwing your toys out of the pram kiddy style.

You can be annoyed/frustrated AND mature about it.

Hamilton anyone vs Vettel springs to mind though. But that's a big skilled sport where they earn multi-millions a year. Not some dorks playing video games.

edit: Wait, this is a Fortnight player?! LOL!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't know who Ninja is

I was always baffled by people who throw their controllers across the room in anger when they lose though, I've never done that and I've played some really frustrating games (Dark Souls, Sekiro etc)

Man of Honour
I can’t say I have looked into the context, but isn’t “it’s just a game” a phrased used towards someone that is getting overly upset about said game (i.e. not used by the person that’s actually losing)?

I don’t think I have ever lost a game and said “hohum it’s just a game.” - instead I rage for weeks. ****ing game!!!

Soldato
If you're a competitive person you'll want to win, this will extend to most things you do, a lot of successful people have this attitude.

Associate
Sure a competitive gamer who plays for money and fame should probably get angry at their losses and learn from their mistakes, but for the average person it's not that important... I'd say it's a safe bet that the majority of people out there are just playing games for a bit of fun and as a distraction from life, sometimes to get away from being angry at something else.

Associate
For me it all depends on the circumstances of losing a game. If playing a game online and losing because I play badly I can get frustrated, but I won't be throwing my keyboard around as it won't do anything in regards of me loosing. Same when doing sports. It's all about controlling the anger of losing. Getting too angry can overpower the other emotions and you won't actually learn from the game instead.

Soldato
No, I don't agree with him. He has made a huge amount of money from playing a game that he is obviously very good at. But with that, and the fact that the game has an element of chance/rng etc, the only person he is hurting and getting angry with is his self. I play Fortnite and other online combat games and do not believe I have ever been angry or raged when I have been killed or lost. To me it is just a game, something I do to pass the time. If I watch YouTube videos of Fortnite I prefer people like NickEH30 and Daequan as they are highly skilled and are making great money from the game (Not so much Daequan as of late), playing the game for significant time per day but still seem to have fun with it and not resort to the childish rage when lose behaviour.

Caporegime
Nah don't agree with him.

Firstly he's comparing professional athletes to people who might be participating in a game for a hobby etc.. "it's only a game" reflects that it is a pastime and that losing doesn't need affect the rest of your life. Obviously if you're playing for a living then it clearly does and it, by definition, isn't "only a game" but rather is your livelihood and potentially how you put food on the table for your kids.

Secondly that a losing a game (for a hobbyist) doesn't carry the same real world consequences doesn't mean that they can't also be dedicated to improving themselves and/or playing to the best of their ability - you don't need to lose control of your emotions to be focused on improving and if you don't have additional factors like it being your entire livelihood at stake then you're perhaps better able to control those emotions.

Lastly - in ref to the above - it isn't necessarily the case that you're less dedicated even if you don't lose control of your emotions when your livelihood is at stake - for example professional poker players and professional traders - some of the best will be clam/collected regardless... an old boss once asserted that the best traders should be so calm that you've go no idea if they're having a huge up day or huge down day. Poker players have a name for it "going on tilt" - they actively try to avoid it as it can directly hinder performance... this might be partly to do with the greater cognitive rather than physical aspect of these "games" but also the fact that each action (whether in trading or in poker) has direct financial consequences and immediate feedback.

Lastly - to quote an old colleague: "It's only money dowie, it's not like we're saving lives here".

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not just a game to him, it's a means of making a living. It's totally different.

That still has an high element of chance/randomness that is more than most other things that are competitive. This is due to the nature game that is played over the internet, different control inputs and a multitude of other variables. For them to remove any of this would be to have everyone that's playing it to be on the same LAN, same system, same control input, no bloom, no controller assist etc.

Soldato
At the end of the day I play games because it's fun. Professional gaming looks to be all attitude and zero fun. I used to be really good on World of Tanks on the xbox, and the abuse you used to get was unreal. Gave it up in the end and rarely play that kind of game anymore.

I've been gaming for 35 years now, on a million different systems. I couldn't give a monkeys about knobbers like ninja.

Soldato
At the end of the day I play games because it's fun. Professional gaming looks to be all attitude and zero fun. I used to be really good on World of Tanks on the xbox, and the abuse you used to get was unreal. Gave it up in the end and rarely play that kind of game anymore.

I've been gaming for 35 years now, on a million different systems. I couldn't give a monkeys about knobbers like ninja.

Playing games at a high level competitively is actually a lot of fun if you're a competitive person, the feeling you get from winning is great

Back
Top Bottom