Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I miss having the Honda driving experience, being more connected to the car as such.

I've had a MK2 seat Leon cupra k1, it was nice but just felt a bit bland, not much feel of the road and was shocking on fuel for what it was.

I just don't get on with my current Skoda, not a fan of the lazy diesel engine.
I thought about getting a mk6 golf R, 5 doors, 4wd 270bhp but again quite pricy, looking at around 12-13k

I've also found honda to be easy to work on and parts for the engine and box are readily available.

This is something I did think of, getting a 2.4 type s, then having a EP3 head and oil pump fitted making it a k24/20 Frank, but feel it's not worth doing on a car that's so cheap to buy to start with, at least with a euro r will hold its value better.

I'm just a simply a Honda nut I guess!

Soldato
Considered a CL9 with basic bolt ons and a ecu reflash?
Not really, I quite like the idea of having the LSD box

But also seem to be quite high mileage, and being in the UK since new tend to have some rust issues as they are starting to show their age

It's not out the equation tho, could always get a box with a LSD fitted

Caporegime
The V8 in my M3 is like a Honda vtec if you want to keep some of the Honda feel/magic (even better with a DCT box)

(basically it needs ragging to get anywhere fast )

Man of Honour
OP
Ah thought you replaced the m140i with the euro r lol.
No, the M140i is on a PCP and I'll likely keep a car on PCP as I get a car allowance from work and I'm expected to be in something younger than 4 years IIRC. When the time comes I'll most likely get an M340i touring.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I am looking for a good example, not crashed, not modified unless done correct and yes I want one ideally with VSA because I also would like to insure my Mrs on the car and she is not experience driver so would be nice to have that safety net for her.

My dream car is this one:
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...

I did look at it yesterday and it really does seem immaculate condition, the engine bay is spotless, it has had 4 owners and partial service history but the services not done in years seem to match when it was SORN and off road, so I guess owners felt no need to service a car that had only done 1-2k since its last service. No idea if suspension is seized as did not go into such detail but I guess if a deal was made that could be part of deal that all adjusting parts still adjusted and had not seized up.

I then went to look at this car as the value seem very good:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202...

But what stood out to me is the bonnet, boot and one of the latches was a different red, more faded and all four wheels had been refurb, plus the boot seem to not want to close too easily, needed a good slam. The dealership off the bat went down to £12,750 and I'd not even test driven it.

Plus there is a huge gap in service history, serviced upto 18,000 miles, then next service is like 43,000 so my gut is telling me this car has being in some kind of accident it has being on a private plate in its past which was something like:
S22 KKK (sorry they showed me but I forgot)
VO57 KMY is plate it is on now.

So I was wondering if anyone here knows either of these cars and if people want I can upload a video of both cars.

Also where do people think values will go in next 2-3 years, the 22k car is a lot of money but it does look like an exceptional example and its got VSA.
The 13k car looks like it may have history and does not have VSA so not a car I'd probably buy unless its history was clean and its just had a bad paint job for some reason but I doubt that.

Soldato
It's crazy how expensive S2000s are, understandably why they are, but still crazy.

Can't help but think that Dick Lovett car is overpriced but i don't know the market for these cars, For 22k I'd be looking at an Edition 100 car, least it's a limited run and probably hold its value better

Associate
I have owned my S2000 for over 6 years now, bought it stock and its now supercharged.

I bought it at 60k miles full Honda Service history 2 Previous Owners for 9.3k 55 plate, which i would say i slightly over paid, but it was a very good example, and best one i found after looking at quite a few.

You would be absolutely crazy to buy a none GT100 for 22k. If you are spending that sort of money on an S2000 then you are buying it as an investment not as a car you will drive IMO.

The car at 13k... No reason why you cannot find one with full service history and matching panels for that price.

IMO the price in 2-3 is going to be the same, not much higher not much lower. Do not put too many miles on the car and you should get back what you paid, unless you overpaid for the car originally

Second car the shut lines around the right headlight and bumper/wing do not look quite right. Head light looks like its sitting back

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I have owned my S2000 for over 6 years now, bought it stock and its now supercharged.

You would be absolutely crazy to buy a none GT100 for 22k. If you are spending that sort of money on an S2000 then you are buying it as an investment not as a car you will drive IMO.

The car at 13k... No reason why you cannot find one with full service history and matching panels for that price.

IMO the price in 2-3 is going to be the same, not much higher not much lower. Do not put too many miles on the car and you should get back what you paid, unless you overpay like both of the cars you linked.

I do agree.

I have spoken to DL and put an offer of 18k on the car, they have it on SOR so I guess it is down to the owner. I also think buying a low mileage pristine example for myself personally is a bad idea because the problem is I am going to drive it and drive it a lot, I do not buy cars with an aim to make money but I do buy them with an aim not to lose a massive chunk in depreciation.

My no.1 plan is to maybe buy a high mileage car (80-120k) on 2006-2008 model years with a full service history and low owner count as I know these cars are bullit proof if they have being looked after, I did find a car that met the bill perfectly:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Hon...850847?hash=item4b7430035f:g:gYQAAOSwt-heTq4-

One owner from new, full Honda service history and only 8k that screams great buy to me even with high mileage.

Just three problems, no VSA, not a colour I am too excited about and Glasgow is a bit far to go and look at it, but if a red or silver/grey one came up for sale with similar credentials and VSA for similar price think I'd be all over it. It is probably going to replace the Abarth also as I don't particular want three cars.
Other advantage to me of a high miler in good condition at such a price, I can just drive it and not worry about impacting price so much, pay 8k for a 100k mile car, sell it for 6-7k area with 150k miles in a few years, just maintain and keep running it.

I guess seeing the red one at DL made me fall in love with them again, plus the fact its the cleanest S2K I have ever seen in my life.

Associate
S2000's are a strange car. IMO it is fairly hard to find a good one and it is only getting harder.

The eBay car looks good, although i would be a little put off by the mileage myself, not because i think it would be unreliable but mostly because in another 10+k miles when you come to sell will you have a hard time because of it?

Also VSA is just another thing to go wrong, and when it does it is a very expensive item to fix.

Also bear in mind that 2006+ cars have much higher tax compared with <2006.

Associate
Will do - looking forward to getting them on!

Got the tyres on now, had to put back a day due to slower delivery to garage.

Only been able to test in the wet, but really impressed with the grip level (but perhaps this is due to four new tyres rather than 2 knackered conti's and 2 that were only just ok). Car putting power down well with no scrabbling. Steering feels a slight bit lighter and the Michelin's seem to dampen the ride a little more so car feels slightly less harsh so all good, but not to any extent to ruin feedback or handling. Looking forward to trying these when dry and the weather a bit warmer!

Soldato
Hi, anyone familiar with the R18 service schedule or know where I can view it?

Car needs it's five year service based on age and I'm unsure whether its major/minor, plug replacement, gear oil, etc etc

Thanks

OcUK Staff
S2000's are a strange car. IMO it is fairly hard to find a good one and it is only getting harder.

The eBay car looks good, although i would be a little put off by the mileage myself, not because i think it would be unreliable but mostly because in another 10+k miles when you come to sell will you have a hard time because of it?

Also VSA is just another thing to go wrong, and when it does it is a very expensive item to fix.

Also bear in mind that 2006+ cars have much higher tax compared with <2006.

Yep I am aware after early 2006 the tax jumps to like £570 a year, so doubles.

The VSA is simply attractive as a safety net, especially as my Mrs will drive the car too and the fact my 99 car caught me out all those years ago, so guess I am just a bit weary myself.

Back
Top Bottom