Do you agree with Ninja regarding Losing?

Soldato
I don't see what's wrong with getting angry, anger is a natural response. It shows you are passionate, if you are like 'oh well' with no emotion then you were not trying in the first place or you are just trying to avoid the feeling. This applies to many things in life, also doesn't mean you have to smash anything, just the emotion being there shows your commited.
Online gaming is a billion dollar industry don't see why its still seem as a childs game. Okay they are not atheletes but neither are darts players

Soldato
Gaming is his career.

Extend this to other careers, should programmers get angry when they introduce a bug? Should teachers get angry when one of their students doesn't get 100% on all of their exams? Should bus drivers get angry when they are 1 minute late? These are all "failures" just as much as losing a game.

I don't see what getting angry achieves other than clouding your judgement.

A mature individual would take failure as an incentive to improve and learn from their mistakes without getting angry

Soldato
Gaming is his career.

Extend this to other careers, should programmers get angry when they introduce a bug? Should teachers get angry when one of their students doesn't get 100% on all of their exams? Should bus drivers get angry when they are 1 minute late? These are all "failures" just as much as losing a game.

A mature individual would take failure as an incentive to improve and learn from their mistakes without getting angry
They are not mutually exclusive though are they? I know when I'm invested in something I have at least some feeling afterwards along with wanting to be better, maybe anger at not being better then it passes.
My grandad gets angry when he loses, his glasses, nothing to do with immaturity

Soldato
Do you think that being a fan of a sports team / personality (and the associated emotional investment) is wrong as well?

theres no problem off getting emotional - but the second you literally start judging others and labeling casuals normal people as lossers due to lack of emotions is wwh
Gaming is his career.

I dunno man, I would consider someone who is a Surgeon a winner, regardless of their " win that day " over a streamer - Regardless of income, by default you've surpassed that gamer on many levels.

Associate
For someone whose career rests on their reputation and talent, I can see why they vent & rationalise their own behaviour when they have a bad day.

Do I care if I am labelled because I don't get angry over a game - nope. My play time is limited, so when I log onto a server and get whupped, its no surprise.

I don't have a tantrum. I either try to up my game or if I am simply cannon fodder - find a server where my limits are on par. As with any game, racing, FPS etc. If the mid field fight is as entertaining as fighting for the win - I am content.

Obviously if I was sat at home all day mastering games and still getting whupped by a casual - I would blame my equipment/cheats. ;)

Soldato
Like it or not this guy is a professional gamer. If you told a professional footballer “it’s just a game”, or a pro player told their coach “it’s just a game” they would be off the team. In fact, they wouldn’t get to the highest level with that attitude.

Any competitive profession requires you to hate losing. Heck, even a travelling salesperson would hate making fewer sales or “losing” to their competitor.

The mantra “there’s always something to learn, and always room for improvement, never settle” is excellent. I feel the exact same way after every case - good, bad or ugly.

Soldato
In a PvE environment where it's you vs the computer I have no problem with "Its just a game" mentality. However anything team based (or solo) PvP vs other humans then I'm with Ninja.

I try to constantly improve my skills in whatever game I play whether it's MS Minesweeper or competitive online PvP games and, for me, that increase in skill level over time is what I get enjoyment from, knowing I'm getting better or learning new things every time I play.

What I can't fathom is games without any skill-level cap which allow players with tens of thousands of games to be just as bad at 10K+ games as they were at their first but still allows them to progress through sheer number of games played vs any skill required.

What perplexes me even more is that there are players who never even want to get better, never try to get better or even care about getting better as a player - that mentality just blows my mind.

Soldato
What I can't fathom is games without any skill-level cap which allow players with tens of thousands of games to be just as bad at 10K+ games as they were at their first but still allows them to progress through sheer number of games played vs any skill required.

Isn’t this why we shouldn’t always employ the most experienced candidate for a job? You’ve pretty much highlighted how people get promoted to incompetence by time served.

Back
Top Bottom