• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 2060 KO or 5700? (Resolved - 2060 used)

Associate
are we forgetting the actual bugs with the nvidia cards that are not fixable by drivers? them pesky space invaders. shows nvidia patch out older games :p

Soldato
OP
Well got delivered today and had 5 mins to test it after i i got the AMD card uninstalled. The 2060 is working great so far on the very short test of apex legends training area. For 230 USD all in, i am very pleased so far. Plus i feel that this is something i didnt didnt mysf in the foot if AMD announce a reasonable RT card or Nvidia get more serious with their RTX performance as well.

Soldato
OP
Not necessarily as it's another situation that Asus underengineered a cooling solution and let it's customers suffer. These gaming laptops can cost over £1000 and most people who buy products like that probably are not hardware enthusiasts. The fact they had to be forced by a court to fix it is not very good form, and indicates a lack of testing products before they sell them.

They can't even get cool running Nvidia GTX1060 mobile GPUs to not overheat - Nvidia must have not given them proper specifications (not).

Apologies btw, I realized I read your original comment as 'AMD has have a history of', and not "Asus have a his..'. Anywho... I suppose my original comment still stands, but might explain why I replied the way I did. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Pretty impressed with this Gigabyte card tbh. Stays around 62, very quiet, even when overclocked to 2040mhz and 2000mem.

I did have an initial issue with it, where it refused to go above 0.73volts and 1500mhz. Managed to stop that weirdness after 45 minutes of fiddling in the the AORUS menu (eventually the manual freq slider seemed to kick it into gear after an app crash.).

So far, good impressions. For $230... super happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
and here we go.... "dxgi_error_device_hung the applications device failed due to badly formed command sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed"

Let's all remember that Nvidia doesn't have issues lol. (I see that going back to a VERY old driver might resolve it. hmm 417, current is 442.)

Caporegime
and here we go.... "dxgi_error_device_hung the applications device failed due to badly formed command sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed"

Let's all remember that Nvidia doesn't have issues lol. (I see that going back to a VERY old driver might resolve it. hmm 417, current is 442.)
Computers, don’t you just love em? :D

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

It just works... yeah OK Jensen. :rolleyes:

None of the two brands are infallible, but to think sticking to one of them solves all your problems is water walking. Good to see though some honest folk sharing the green team's solid drivers. :) ;)

Soldato

It's not to late to send it back.

Soldato
OP
It just works... yeah OK Jensen. :rolleyes:

None of the two brands are infallible, but to think sticking to one of them solves all your problems is water walking. Good to see though some honest folk sharing the green team's solid drivers. :) ;)

I never thought either brand is. .i have had problems with sound on nvidia before, and real random stuff on amd that required 101mhz on the pci bus not to crash the PC lol.

Anywho... There was an amd driver problem poll, and the internet blew up with reports from websites about it and how bad they are.

Soldato
Yeah we were just trying to work out if it was a smear campaign or a collective effort for another reason because the noise should have been made about 5 months ago not now. Steve from GN went to AMD at the CES to stress a point, people could have been sheep back then.

Now we got a major electronics brand palming off their products were below standard incorrectly, and keyboard hero's sticking the knife in where they can lol. :) Reminds me of the Russian interference in the US elections.

Soldato
Well I have had my 5700xt for about 2weeks now and I haven't had no problems so far, it just works and Im one of these people who likes things just to work without faffing around with stuff. Basically plug it in and forget about it type of person.

Soldato
OP
Well I have had my 5700xt for about 2weeks now and I haven't had no problems so far, it just works and Im one of these people who likes things just to work without faffing around with stuff. Basically plug it in and forget about it type of person.

I'm very happy with this card so far. (i reduced the OC on the card slightly and it's been good so far). I think it might be sensible to upgrade my 5/6 year old PSU though. If I hadn't seen chanced upon this cheap card, I would have bought a 5700 for sure, I had made my mind up, and as I got my bonus and pay rise a few days after buying this, it wouldn't have taking me long to press the buy button as I would have been out of excuses lol.

My wife is asking if I need/want anything else since buying the gfx card, so I might look at some CPU's/PSU's as well.

Soldato
OP
Yeah we were just trying to work out if it was a smear campaign or a collective effort for another reason because the noise should have been made about 5 months ago not now. Steve from GN went to AMD at the CES to stress a point, people could have been sheep back then.

Now we got a major electronics brand palming off their products were below standard incorrectly, and keyboard hero's sticking the knife in where they can lol. :) Reminds me of the Russian interference in the US elections.

It really does seem like that. One thing I have noticed with google, is that you are really targetted with stories about a topic you might have clicked on, so it makes it look like it is blowing up. But I will say, all those regular techs sites started to through articles up that were basically just the darn 'notice' from Asus, like it was fact. Thanks to hardware unboxed for calling BS on that one.

Soldato
Concur @Scougar. All other board partners could sell same product and not have this issue. Seems fishy and prime bait for rival companies to use it as a 'massive' problem. Some users have been affected and it needs looking at regarding black screens and odd behaviour.

The bigger user base that is having no issues is busy gaming and whatnot so you dont hear the positive users, just the minority of disaster cases. If you look hard enough, nvidia have same issues so its likely a PC problem of multiple component combinations, third party software and aggressive Windows 10 conflicts for example.

This is why the term fake news is quite apt as we know marketing in targeted at users these days, and many stories have little facts behind them - often just click bait titles with no substance to the article. Unfortunately it works as people read headline and dont validate the information taking it as fact.

Back
Top Bottom