How do you work PC gaming around family?

Soldato
I think the key thing to remember is if you sit in your man cave every evening with your headset on, your relationship is going to take a hit. Even if your wife is content watching soaps all evening on her phone, both of you should be spending time together consistently.

Yeah completely, you need to have the quality time together, but men shouldn't passively accept being told they can't enjoy their free time at home, as if a few hours gaming after work is unreasonable or something. If you go to work all day and pay the bills, you deserve to be able to spend some free time doing something you enjoy without being nagged or made to feel guilty, just don't accept it at all

Caporegime
This is why I decided when I was 21 that I’d always be single. I could never adjust to having to change what I do for other people.

if I want to game for 8 hours straight, I’ll do it, if I want to go the pub three nights in a row till midnight, I’ll do it, **** having to change to suit someone else.

Soldato
OP
I think the key thing to remember is if you sit in your man cave every evening with your headset on, your relationship is going to take a hit. Even if your wife is content watching soaps all evening on her phone, both of you should be spending time together consistently.
100% and this is what I have learnt from what happened before, makes you realise other things have to be worked around.

I think my partner is just a little worried about previous, so will have a chilled chat and see if we can come to a agreement, but definitely don't feel the urge to game every night, I just can't be botherd to even turn the PS4 on sometimes lol

Soldato
I had to give it up , was really taking a toll on my family life. 2200 hrs of Online BF2 play was really taking the P .

It just become so addictive . I game on an IPad now , yes restrictive but at least I’m in the room .

Soldato
Cheers guys

Yeh I'm thinking maybe few nights a week for couple of hours why she watches her netflix stuff.

I was going to get a gaming laptop instead and sit on the sofa and game but can't help but think I just won't be happy with it.

I used to be on my PC every day, however had a massive wake up call after we had a situation and know the limit and when is the right time etc

I think her fear is that it will grab me and she would loose my attention, however been playing company of heroes 2 on her laptop now and again for a hour or two now and again, and she hasn't had a problem with it.
So hopefully I can show or prove so to speak that I will keep my word and go from there, I also think NO headset aloud as that can make you come across as ignorant but inf just can't hear!

Fight fire with fire my friend. If she’s watching love island every night. Have an issue with it. Turn the TV off and insist you both do something that engages the mind.

If you can’t do what you want to do then why should she?

Soldato
Wait until the kids are in bed (mine had zero interest in gaming) and your other half is watching TV shows you hate.

Limit yourself to a 2-3 hour session twice a week and have 5 nights where you talk, watch TV you both like and do couples stuff.

Exactly how we work it.

She has a moan about it still. I just say watch something else and I'll stay here :D

Associate
This is why I decided when I was 21 that I’d always be single. I could never adjust to having to change what I do for other people.

if I want to game for 8 hours straight, I’ll do it, if I want to go the pub three nights in a row till midnight, I’ll do it, **** having to change to suit someone else.

That's sounds like a very selfish outlook on life.

Don

More a lonely life.

I have 3 kids, fortunately they are have always been great sleepers and go to bed at 7, the older one goes around 8 but just entertains herself.

The wife and I always watch an episode of a TV show whilst watching TV then at around 9 we tend to play games together, or if she's not fussed I'll go to my office and she will do whatever she wants.

Weekends I don't have much chance to game through the day but I don't really want/need too. My 8 and 5 year olds are massively into games so play on the PS4/iPads and the 8 year old has a laptop. We tend to play minecraft together, Fortnite too but they are a bit young to be good enough for that.

Caporegime
Why though? If it’s my choice, and I remain single, I’m not hurting anyone else am I?

The selfish ones are the likes of my dad, who was with my mum, had two kids with her, and made her stay in looking after us while he buggered off to pubs and gambling clubs every night. That’s selfish, I’ve just made a lifestyle choice.

Caporegime
More a lonely life.

I have 3 kids, fortunately they are have always been great sleepers and go to bed at 7, the older one goes around 8 but just entertains herself.

The wife and I always watch an episode of a TV show whilst watching TV then at around 9 we tend to play games together, or if she's not fussed I'll go to my office and she will do whatever she wants.

Weekends I don't have much chance to game through the day but I don't really want/need too. My 8 and 5 year olds are massively into games so play on the PS4/iPads and the 8 year old has a laptop. We tend to play minecraft together, Fortnite too but they are a bit young to be good enough for that.
I’m not lonely Andy, I have lots and lots of family and friends, I just have never seen the appeal of relationships. Just not for me.

Caporegime
Once you come out, your life will be much happier ;)

lol, I’m not gay, just have no interest in dating, relationships or sex.

I mentioned it to my doctor once, she said it could be the result of decades of taking lots of powerful heart drugs. My libido could be as low as it could possibly get.

also, a friend once said it could be the result of seeing the way my dad treated my mum and how upset she was. I may have a deep rooted psychological fear that because he’s my dad, I may end up doing the same thing.

Soldato
lol, I’m not gay, just have no interest in dating, relationships or sex.

I mentioned it to my doctor once, she said it could be the result of decades of taking lots of powerful heart drugs. My libido could be as low as it could possibly get.

I would counter that with a blue pill :D but let's not turn the thread into a medical thread :p

Soldato
I have lots of hobbies none of which there is ever enough time for. Everything worth doing is time consuming and requires mental investment - thats what makes it interesting.

A while ago on here I started a thread about why women dont tend to have many hobbies. This is kinda similar. Not many girls game. Not many girls do anything at all really.

Sometimes I think Id be better off on my own too, but after a while i get lonely, so its swings and roundabouts.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yeah completely, you need to have the quality time together, but men shouldn't passively accept being told they can't enjoy their free time at home, as if a few hours gaming after work is unreasonable or something. If you go to work all day and pay the bills, you deserve to be able to spend some free time doing something you enjoy without being nagged or made to feel guilty, just don't accept it at all

Yes its about balance. If you find the right lady, she will be on the same page. My wife is very chill and appreciates that we need to do our own things, but equally we need to spend time together.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Hey guys.

So at the title states really, I used to have a gaming rig about 4 years ago, ended up on it too much and caused some issues, anyway, 4 years later I'm back, however without a rig.

So the issue was I was on the PC a lot and used a headset so it caused me to kind of ignore my surroundings, caused a breakup and all sorts.

Anyway we sorted that out, and I want to return to PC gaming but at a level which is fair with the family.
So people with family's, how do you work it around them? Certain times? Days? Agreed times? Or just when ever you can?
My eldest daughter is 6 and she's starting to enjoy gaming, Minecraft, Sims, etc so would like to show her the world of PC gaming instead of the pants PS4 we have sigh

So yeh how do you guys do it without getting in the dog house as well as being respectful about

I waited till the kids are in bed, the wife would be in bed about 10pm so that was 2-3hrs of gaming. Kids are older now so they do their own thing, the wife is happy for me to disappear. She understands that I was gaming before I met and it is one of the ways I manage the stress of daily life. At the end of the day it's all about balance, being aware of of how much time you spend on the pc. She has a few tv shows she likes to watch and some times has a chick flick night which is all bonus gaming time for me.

Soldato
Hey guys.

So at the title states really, I used to have a gaming rig about 4 years ago, ended up on it too much and caused some issues, anyway, 4 years later I'm back, however without a rig.

For those in similar circumstances, a Gaming Laptop is the answer.

Game when & where you like (within reason) poviding you can find a power point, or for shorter periods without. Gives much more flexibility at home re-room availability too.

You may have to make some compromises ie not as powerful as a desktop but; you get to game. Anything with an i5 and gtx1660ti or better will play any game fine, you just reduce the detail accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom