• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Ha. Another stealthily removed or broken piece of functionality. Just hunted around the 20.2.1 UI and it's nowhere to be found

Ah man.... thanks for checking. I thought it was just me not being able to find it :(

I have to say. Between things like this, and the fact that overclocking is STILL broken on later drivers on the Radeon vii it does make me question whether I did the right thing moving to AMD....

Associate
Ah man.... thanks for checking. I thought it was just me not being able to find it :(

I have to say. Between things like this, and the fact that overclocking is STILL broken on later drivers on the Radeon vii it does make me question whether I did the right thing moving to AMD....
I feel sorry for you VII customers. You were fleeced for big wonga and then got the shoddiest support. I'd like to think it will improve for us older gen users but I suspect focus will remain on getting Navi right, esp if big Navi is imminent. I'm hopeful the new cards are going to be a success so I can upgrade my 56 later in the year but I guess with a VII you were hoping for a few more years of life yet

Associate
I feel sorry for you VII customers. You were fleeced for big wonga and then got the shoddiest support. I'd like to think it will improve for us older gen users but I suspect focus will remain on getting Navi right, esp if big Navi is imminent. I'm hopeful the new cards are going to be a success so I can upgrade my 56 later in the year but I guess with a VII you were hoping for a few more years of life yet

I didn't pay through the nose for mine so from a value perspective, I don't feel like I was fleeced particularly. I'd already forked out on a freesync monitor that didn't play well with being g sync compatible so I wanted a high end AMD card for 4k and the vii fit the bill.

Just not happy with the driver support really. Black screens, overclocking issues from pretty much the time I spent loads watercooling it. No fix for the oc issue for months.... bad times really

Associate
I'm very happy with my VII, water cooled so highest t-junction is 63, running 1440p so no need to overclock. No issues at all whilst gaming.

I think the price was fair for the performance offered and I doubt we will see a consumer card like it again any time soon. It will do me for a few years.

Associate
I'm very happy with my VII, water cooled so highest t-junction is 63, running 1440p so no need to overclock. No issues at all whilst gaming.

I think the price was fair for the performance offered and I doubt we will see a consumer card like it again any time soon. It will do me for a few years.
Thsnks for sharing. It's good to get all sides of a story. Puts things in perspective and helps break down bias. That's what I like about this forum. Gonna get all mushy now

So are you on the 20 drivers? I guess the requirement to overclock might be different if you were playing on 4k or 144hz+?

Associate
Thsnks for sharing. It's good to get all sides of a story. Puts things in perspective and helps break down bias. That's what I like about this forum. Gonna get all mushy now

So are you on the 20 drivers? I guess the requirement to overclock might be different if you were playing on 4k or 144hz+?

Running 19.12.1 but everything works so don't feel the need to upgrade.

Using a 32" 1440p 165hz screen but overclock isn't really needed for what I play.

Associate

Don't get me wrong, I love mine too. Beast of a card and does what I wanted it for. But having had OC support hobbled months ago in a driver update, means that I cannot easily do something that I may, or may not want to do that I could before? Does that make sense?

I get about a 10% jump in performance with an OC to 2000, which in a game like control in 4k means the difference of keeping the fps in the freesync range. Makes a difference really.

Associate
Don't get me wrong, I love mine too. Beast of a card and does what I wanted it for. But having had OC support hobbled months ago in a driver update, means that I cannot easily do something that I may, or may not want to do that I could before? Does that make sense?

I get about a 10% jump in performance with an OC to 2000, which in a game like control in 4k means the difference of keeping the fps in the freesync range. Makes a difference really.
I agree with you. I get a similar boost from my 56 OC which makes a difference in games like in Control, BL3 and Div2 at 1440p. MeddIE isn't on the new drivers and not OCing so its apples and pears. How come you haven't reverted to 19.12.1?

Associate
I agree with you. I get a similar boost from my 56 OC which makes a difference in games like in Control, BL3 and Div2 at 1440p. MeddIE isn't on the new drivers and not OCing so its apples and pears. How come you haven't reverted to 19.12.1?

OC support has been broken since 19.7.5 onward pretty much so 19.12.1 wouldn't make any difference. Rightly or wrongly, I guessed that there were probably optimisations in one of the releases for Control which I've only just started playing so I updated.

For the last few months, I've been nailing Witcher 3 which didn't require an overclock :D so wasn't as much of an issue. Could still Undervolt with latest drivers so I was ok.

Managed to get my OC to stick using MPT but it's been a hassle to do so really. Shouldn't be an issue in my opinion as it shouldn't be broke in the first place.

Soldato
but if AMD is indeed about to drop 'Big Navi' then these issues are going to need to be ironed out.
The smear campaign is about Big Navi. Although we are speculating that it might be release and have no proof otherwise the narrative is shifting to BN.
Heck, we might not see it until summer or fall who knows for sure. However, it's always news like this that suggest that an announcement/release of some kind is on the way in the next 30 days or so.

Back
Top Bottom