How do you work PC gaming around family?

Soldato
OP
For those in similar circumstances, a Gaming Laptop is the answer.

Game when & where you like (within reason) poviding you can find a power point, or for shorter periods without. Gives much more flexibility at home re-room availability too.

You may have to make some compromises ie not as powerful as a desktop but; you get to game. Anything with an i5 and gtx1660ti or better will play any game fine, you just reduce the detail accordingly.
I wouldn't take mine anywhere, it would stay in the house only, however if I was to get a laptop and sit on the sofa and game, I can see a issue with noice coming along lol

I would much prefer a rig, but a laptop is not out the question either, just concerned about having the small 15-17" screen, I had 24" before and wasn't really happy, wanted a bigger one

Soldato
I usually game 1.5 hrs 3/4 night a week and then about 10 over sat/sun. No kids just a gf :)

I have to be finished at least 1 hour before i go to-sleep or i have problems doing so so im usuly done bu 9:30.

Soldato
I may have a deep rooted psychological fear that because he’s my dad, I may end up doing the same thing.

That's not uncommon and there's nothing wrong with feeling this way about your old man. I love my old duffer, but I'm 100% determined not to make some of the relationship mistakes he did. Maybe the apple didn't fall too far from the tree, though, guess we'll see :)

I thought that gaming had become more socially acceptable these days, it has certainly moved on from adolescent males and students hiding away in their bedrooms gaming for hours. Girls play games more now, perhaps mostly on phones but games none the less. So why is adult male gaming often still seen as non-social and not-a-real-hobby?

I gave up gaming even before my daughter came along. Why? Well it wasn't a REAL hobby and I was just 'mucking about' :rolleyes: The problem is, watching rubbish on tv or doing other couplely things didn't take away my desire to game. I latterly tried and failed to get her involved in gaming or at least understand that for maybe a couple of hours a month(!) gaming might be nice release for me.

These days it's stolen moments when she goes to bed, or is away with my daughter seeing relatives. I moved to simple games I can easily pick up and drop, and give me enough of a quick fix without the need to plough hours of time in.

Gaming is still very much seen as something I need to hide away, which is sad but I guess my daughter takes up most of my spare time anyway. Will be interesting to see if she shows a desire to game when she gets older... I can't be seen to be the reason for that, but maybe I'll hang on to my kit for a while yet, just to see.

Caporegime
Hey guys.

So at the title states really, I used to have a gaming rig about 4 years ago, ended up on it too much and caused some issues, anyway, 4 years later I'm back, however without a rig.

So the issue was I was on the PC a lot and used a headset so it caused me to kind of ignore my surroundings, caused a breakup and all sorts.

Anyway we sorted that out, and I want to return to PC gaming but at a level which is fair with the family.
So people with family's, how do you work it around them? Certain times? Days? Agreed times? Or just when ever you can?
My eldest daughter is 6 and she's starting to enjoy gaming, Minecraft, Sims, etc so would like to show her the world of PC gaming instead of the pants PS4 we have sigh

So yeh how do you guys do it without getting in the dog house as well as being respectful about

It depends how bad your addiction is.

There is a guy in the console section who lost his wife and kids to gaming (serious).

I'd say if you are bad enough to destroy relationships then 2 times per week max.

Take up other hobbies which only require an hour of your time per session like the gym. Yes we all know we would rather be gaming than going to the gym but it's a lot better for you and you will enjoy life and live longer as a result.

Also do other things to make up for gaming sessions like offer to cook dinners during the week, etc. This means you are spending more time with family and also helping out.

Also try and limit sessions to 2-3 hours max. Any more than that when you have a family then you shouldn't really have a console or gaming rig.

Games like minecraft, wow, etc and grinding games need to be banned. It's making people play for loot rather than enjoyment. They make people with addictive personalities play games for 4+ hours per session several times a week.

I'm glad I never got into destiny 2 for example. That game is built for losers they way the loot mechanics work. Who need to spend at least 10 hours per week playing it to stay relevant and enjoyable.

Soldato
Can't you get your wife in to gaming too? It sounds like your kids are in to gaming.

Then you can teach them both on Minecraft.

"pants ps4 we have"! Hey, take that back! :D

Soldato
I wouldn't take mine anywhere, it would stay in the house only, however if I was to get a laptop and sit on the sofa and game, I can see a issue with noice coming along lol

I would much prefer a rig, but a laptop is not out the question either, just concerned about having the small 15-17" screen, I had 24" before and wasn't really happy, wanted a bigger one

More importantly...

Where a laptop is portable, it can be completely put away; it does not become a permanent shrine in the house where you are shut away to something you, yourself have noted became a serious problem before.

It's also much easier to manage a quick gaming session ad hoc inc whilst the family are around eg in the lounge and you can sit at the dining table, breakfast bar etc.

I have the current 15" acer predator helios 300 i7, RTX2060. Most of the time even at 15" it's ideal. Long gaming sessions with the monitor set ups etc just couldn't happen these days anyway.

I do plug in to our TVs depending on room availability and game with a wireless xbox 1 controller, notably where it integrates seamlessly with steam, microsoft game pass etc.

Soldato
Imagine right, you own a house, and you have to hide your PC away from your wife, as if you're scared of it offending her. Jesus. Why live like that? You may as well still be living in your parents house treading on egg shells.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Imagine right, you own a house, and you have to hide your PC away from your wife, as if you're scared of it offending her. Jesus. Why live like that? You may as well still be living in your parents house treading on egg shells.

It's a worrying thing. I say to my wife I'm just going to play some games for a bit, and she is encouraging because she knows it's a thing I enjoy.

Soldato
It's about communication and boundaries.

I've largely moved away (as in geographically) from my friends, so I have a gaming night once a week where we all play online co-op PC games and have a natter. Single player stuff I fit in around when house jobs have been done and either kids in bed or they are out.

It's just a conversation to establish that we both need downtime (sometimes away from each other) and so I accommodate her gym workouts (we have a gym in the garage) and yoga in the local church hall, and she accommodates my gaming.

It's not too difficult if you are both reasonable people and you are fulfilling your obligations to the household and the family, and also finding time to spend with each other too - however being realistic, you'll never have as much time as you used to for playing games.

Associate
With great difficulty.
I feel bad for spending a couple of hours on my PC rather than having family time but its a great divide as my daughter will sod off upstairs to facetime with friends and do tik toks and the like, whilst the mrs will be watching all the soaps i can't stand. So to keep my sanity i have to do something!

Its great when i get home late as they are asleep anyway so i can sit on my ass for a couple of hours guilt free!

Soldato
OP
Going to have a chat with her over the weekend and try come to a understanding, as long as the time is not abused and taking the mick I think we could be on to something.

Kids go bed at 7pm, she starts her soaps at 7 anyway so seems like a reasonable time to game

Back
Top Bottom