This generation's biggest improvement?

Soldato
Hi All

No real point to this post, but just something I noticed and wanted to get out of my head.

I remember playing The Last of Us on PS3 and thinking it was incredible.
Loved it to death and platinum'd it.

So I picked up the remaster on PS4 (nice and cheap) to go through in anticipation of Part 2.
And although I had a blast, I couldn't help noticing how 'primitive' the environments looked now.
I remember it looking STUNNING, but now I see it's very simplistic in the geometry and how the post apocalyptic world was shown (rubble and abandoned stuff).

Having played God of War, HZD, Days Gone and more, those worlds just look so alive and natural.
Not man made and full of 'cheats' (like having flowers and grass painted onto a flat texture.

So yeah, I think the biggest improvement from PS3 to PS4 was environment creation.
Got me wondering what the biggest wow is going to be going from PS4 to PS5 and if I'll be looking backwards in 5 years time thinking that PS4 games look poop :D

Man of Honour
The biggest differences will be based around having a half decent CPU instead of a woefully underpowered one like the XBO/PS4 launched with.

The number of NPCs, the number of objects, physics, and the scale of worlds (the range from continents to thimbles rather than simply size) will be the biggest differences. Plus a minor point of limited loading times and streaming data bandwidth improvements due to the CPU and SSD combo.

for me i really appreciate good animations. feeling connected to the world through animations, and seeing ai animated in a good way really helps improve the experience. great graphics are really ruined by a floaty character.

I couldn't help noticing how 'primitive' the environments looked now
having just played RDR2 i was impressed with how great the game was that i considered finally giving RDR1 a go. i looked at a few youtube videos and boy does that game look bad in comparison so decided against it. i wonder if in 10 years i'll look back at RDR2 and think how ugly and plain the world looks with little detail.

Soldato
Streaming will make the biggest difference...and by that I mean the speed of loading content from SSD rather than waiting for a clunky ancient spinning metal platter, rather than cloud streaming video.

Although stuff like xCloud will be pretty cool.

Caporegime
Games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone have looked stunning this generation, I think they demonstrate it's not what hardware you have but what you do with it.

I hope that the biggest improvement next generation will be 60fps as standard and thus going back to ps4 etc in 5 years time people will be immediately hit by the low frame rates and input lag and they will then appreciate what 60 fps gives.

Soldato
HDR when its implemented correctly.

Graphics have improved a lot between PS3 and PS4.

Though PS4 as suffered by having too many remasters of PS3 games.

Back
Top Bottom