Council Tax max increase again this year 3.99%

Caporegime
Except in Scotland, where again we're forced to pay higher taxes than our English counterparts just to listen to some manic woman bang on about some pipe dream, our Council Tax is to go up 4.79%. Great.

Well you're welcome down here, we'll look after you all until she's gone. I'm 30 miles south of the border so it's not even that far!

Soldato
4.64% increase for me. Bah! We've had our bin services reduce to 1 in 3 weeks, roads are a mess, there is litter everywhere, etc etc. What are they spending money on? Junkies, drunks and lay abouts.

I've just read they are going to charge for bulk uplift as well, so that'll be even more rubbish in the street and people flytipping even more. And it gets better, they are reducing road sweeping as well!

Glasgow is a complete dump already. It'll only get worse.

The roads are utterly horrific at the moment, appreciate some of those aren't GCC's responsibility but I'm constantly dodging potholes the size of craters.

Still, the towers of old washing machines and sofas outside flats will be interesting.

Caporegime
How would you organise that - in practice - in the real world?

How do you "value" a property - get three Estate Agent's values and average them?

Would one OAP without a car living frugally in a large house pay more or less than a family of five with three school-age children and two Chelsea Tractors living in the same house?

No worse than the current system where you get people living in identical houses on opposite sides of the street where one house pays double of the other.

Or because its based on what it was in the 90s and some very dodgy assessments you have have houses with 5 bedrooms worth £750k in band B and paying peanuts where I live.

Soldato
Actually one of the reasons I've just moved from where I was. We had woods out the front with a path through them which was used by dog walkers from about 5am. They seem to think that because they're up at that time everyone else is and have no problem with letting their dogs bark or yap incessantly. Same thing on an evening.

Lost count of the number of times they'd also let it off it's lead, it would find it's way to our front garden and have a dump. Out of sight to them, out of mind.

Simple solution to that...bear traps........industrial bear traps!

Soldato
I would say its due to cuts from central government and our aging population.

They need to sort out social care.

Yep social care needs to be removed from council budgets and have an increase in national insurance payments instead. The current system of having the NHS dump people into social care is just ridiculous and it needs to be a joint system.

We'll all have to pay more though, especially if we want carers to be paid properly.

Caporegime
The roads are utterly horrific at the moment, appreciate some of those aren't GCC's responsibility but I'm constantly dodging potholes the size of craters.

Its funny but a couple of years ago I did work in clydebank and pointed out the roads around there and Glasgow were in the worst state of ever seen. Loads of locals banged on at me saying I was full of rubbish!

Soldato
Its funny but a couple of years ago I did work in clydebank and pointed out the roads around there and Glasgow were in the worst state of ever seen. Loads of locals banged on at me saying I was full of rubbish!

I thought Aberdeen roads were bad, Glasgow is somehow even worse to the point that I'd probably be put-off buying another car with firm suspension and big alloys if I planned to keep living here. It makes driving literally anywhere an absolute chore (and that's before you get to the abysmal driving standards).

Soldato
1 in 3 weeks?! Not sure I could survive on that, I find 1 in 2 bad enough.
A shame, as Glasgow used to be such a marvellous place - I visit sporadically as my partner's brother lives there.

It's actually every 16 days, but I have one small metal bin so you can imagine the bin area is just a mess and it just blows everywhere. Not to mention, bulk uplift is just left outside on the pavement so blows all over the place. It does my head in.

Are you with Glasgow City council?

I've recently moved to their "area" from East Dunbartonshire and it looks like they have been pushing for the highest they can get. Wasn't this bad in ED even though it was a much better area overall but now I'm closer to the city by 5-10 minutes.

Aye, it just goes up and up when the service goes down. Whilst I don't have kids, sign on, or have a drug addiction I suppose I'm not their target audience!

Been watching old episodes of Taggert,

Back then (70's/80's) Glasgow looked like Soviet eastern Europe (And the more impoverished parts at that! :eek:).

Is it really just as bad/worse??

I've looked at some old pictures of Glasgow back in the day, and you're right - it was full of tenement slums. However, the streets rarely looked as bad as they do now. No community spirit, so people just dump their rubbish and don't care.

Associate
Well you're welcome down here, we'll look after you all until she's gone. I'm 30 miles south of the border so it's not even that far!

Thankfully I don't think that will happen, the SNP are screwed, they're gone in 2021. I don't mind paying more tax if we see the benefits of it but at the moment all we see is petty flag waving and decimated public services.

No joke, before the referrendum we set up an English registered Limited Company and it's only 50 mins drive to Berwick for me. If independance ever happened under the current SNP government I would have no issue moving to Berwick.

Capodecina
Soldato
No worse than the current system . . .
Are you a Management Consultant? They are the people who I most associate with suggesting one worthless system with another worthless system - worthless to the customer, not to the Management Consultancy ;)

I do take your point that council tax revenue raising is far from perfect - so it goes :(

Caporegime
I thought Aberdeen roads were bad, Glasgow is somehow even worse to the point that I'd probably be put-off buying another car with firm suspension and big alloys if I planned to keep living here. It makes driving literally anywhere an absolute chore (and that's before you get to the abysmal driving standards).

I reported a pothole that was **** you not about a foot deep and a metre wide. they just put a cone in it and took 6-8 weeks before it was repaired.

the cone was half swallowed by the pot hole you just seen the top sticking out to warn you.

i'm convinced though that someone who works in the pothole street repairs department must live in the estate 3 over from mine. all their roads were done. their roundabouts just got done and now they just got a new set of traffic lights and more lanes added to roads.

they seem to get too much work being done all confined to that 1 estate. yet mine hasn't had any done. yet it's a 2 minute drive away.

Caporegime
Are you a Management Consultant? They are the people who I most associate with suggesting one worthless system with another worthless system - worthless to the customer, not to the Management Consultancy ;)

I do take your point that council tax revenue raising is far from perfect - so it goes :(

Accountant ;)

What I meant is,with a lot of systems in life, they can never be perfect. For all the faults you came up with on the suggested new system, it still would be a better system than the old system.

You will never be able to please 100% of the people with any system.

Back
Top Bottom