Has anyone found a hack for the Firestick for 5ghz

Associate
I'm stuck in a shared house with no access to the router so renaming the wifi isn't a option to get the 5ghz to pop up, sometimes it will lock onto 5ghz without a problem other times and most times it will lock onto 2.4ghz, sometimes I will be watching something all of a sudden the picture goes funny, I have a look at the network and it goes from 5ghz to 2.4ghz.

Associate
OP
No can do, this shared house is ran by the council so nothing can be touched, the main box is locked away in a room then on each floor on the walls is Access points, I'm not sure how it's all set up.

I think the problem is the router is on auto channel like right now it's on channel 100 at 6pm it was on channel 44 when it goes to the lower channels it will connect to 5ghz.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could move the Firestick away from the TV and into clear air using an HDMI extension cable.

It's marginal that may be enough to get things working. I certainly helped when I had a Firestick plugged into a plasma TV with the TV's full metal back panel between it and the AP.

Caporegime
Use the ethernet adaptor for the Fire TV and plug it into a travel router that you've set in client mode to only connect to the 5GHz SSID

Associate
OP
Use the ethernet adaptor for the Fire TV and plug it into a travel router that you've set in client mode to only connect to the 5GHz SSID

That sounds good I have never heard of a travel router, having a quick search it sounds that's a good option for me.

Soldato
So with a travel router i connect it to the wifi in the house just like I would connect my phone/tablet?

Yes. The travel router in client mode acts like a bridge between your newly wired Firestick and your communal wifi.

So now you have 'fire tv' >> wifi >> 'communal router' with the wifi client on the fire tv untunable to use 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz

You would then have 'fire tv' >> ethernet cable >> 'travel router' >> wifi >> 'communal router' with the difference being that now the wifi is being done by the travel router and if you get the right model then tunable to only use 5Ghz and solve your perceived problem.

I assume in all this that the communal internet provision doesn't put an ethernet network port in your room? Because if so you'd cut out wifi completely and just get the fire tv ethernet adapter and plug that into the wall ot if it was no where near your fire tv you'd maybe put your own private access point on it only broadcasting a 5Ghz signal.

Associate
OP
Thanks then this is definitely something that will work for me, my pc and phone works fine on 5ghz.

O I wish they had put ethernet ports in the room would have been easy for them to do because from my understanding they bought the house and had to do a lot of work to it so adding ports to each room would have been something little. They have a big router in a locked room then on the walls around the house and outside the rooms they have other wifi boxes with antennas, I'm guessing they are wifi extenders those are hardwired to the main router. When I look on my wifi scanner app the main router is called Fortinet.

Soldato
If those extenders are hardwired back to the router then they'll probably be access points rather than extenders. They don't have LAN ports on the back you can access do they? You might be able to sneakily run a cable from your nearest one into your room, effectively wiring yourself to the router :)

As an aside if the whole communal house is connecting to the same router then I hope you have an appropriate firewall in place covering your devices otherwise you'll potentially be leaving yourself open to people who share the WiFi. Maybe they've implemented VLANs to mitigate this but I'd expect you to either have to register your devices with them, use some sort of captive portal or everyone to have their own bespoke SSID/password combo for that to be in place.

Associate
OP
If those extenders are hardwired back to the router then they'll probably be access points rather than extenders. They don't have LAN ports on the back you can access do they? You might be able to sneakily run a cable from your nearest one into your room, effectively wiring yourself to the router :)

As an aside if the whole communal house is connecting to the same router then I hope you have an appropriate firewall in place covering your devices otherwise you'll potentially be leaving yourself open to people who share the WiFi. Maybe they've implemented VLANs to mitigate this but I'd expect you to either have to register your devices with them, use some sort of captive portal or everyone to have their own bespoke SSID/password combo for that to be in place.

Yes them being access points makes sense when I look on wifi scanner you have 6 or 7 showing up with different channel numbers. I expect there is lan ports on those acess points but I would never get away connecting anything to it. The council have a small room they sometimes use for a office whenever they need to do anything without out being disturbed. I would imagine it's all secure I was told it's safe with adult content filtered/blocked. If anything goes wrong they have a dedicated IT team who come out even if the router needs rebooting.

I wish they had separated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz that would make it a lot easier to connect to.

The house itself is very secure using electronic keys that have to be authorised every three days, there is a box in the hallway that's connected to the net and you just put your key in like you do with a electricity key meter.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is now doing my head in because when it doesn't pick up 5ghz I have to have it on 2.4ghz I get into what im watching and then the quality drops. So any recommendations on what travel router I should get. Cheers

Associate
OP

I am a liitle confused just been watching a YouTube video for the TP-Link ac750 it looks like it doesn't connect to the existing wifi, Am I not looking at the right travel router?

Associate
OP
Totally confused when you say about picking a 2.4 or 5ghz channel is that within the travel router itself or are you saying the house router which I cant connect to separately because the 2.4 and 5ghz are on the same SSID.

The one you have suggested is the one I was looking at on youtube and someone is saying you can't connect to wifi the box has to be hard wired to the house router.

Soldato
If it has 'client mode' it'll connect. That assumes that there isn't a login gateway you need to connect through, but if the Firestick is connecting it should be okay.

You'd need to log into the router and configure to the mode you want (usually option of 'router', 'client' and 'AP' amongst others).

Client mode isn't limited to 'travel' routers, but that's where it's typically found.

There's no guarantee that a travel router will connect to the 5GHz wireless any better than the Firestick does.

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys, going to have to think about this and maybe look into how it connects.

I'm actually thinking this isn't going to work, it's not that it doesn't connect well it's only because the firestick won't connect to a higher channel because the router is on auto the channel keeps changing so the firestick doesn't see channel 100.

I tested it at a mates set the 5ghz to 100 and the firestick doesn't see the 5ghz put it to channel 44 and the firestick sees 5ghz.

Back
Top Bottom