• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Soldato
You'll then also have the usual limited availability of the high-end models for the first few months. It could be the better part of a year before you can get your hands on a 10700/10900, so you should consider whether you'd rather upgrade now to a 9700/9900 and enjoy the games that you're currently playing more.

The next generation won't offer anything significant other than two extra cores on the top-end model. By the time that actually makes a difference in gaming, I'd say it's a fair bet that you'll want to upgrade to a platform with DDR5, PCIe 4, etc., and a much more efficient 10+ core CPU.

Do you really think it'd be that long? :(

If I waited I'd be looking at the 10700K which is going to be pretty much the same as the 9900K, maybe with slightly higher clocks but nothing major. Whilst the CPU may end up being cheaper in the long run as it's repositioned as an i7 rather than i9, that's only going to be after prices have stabilised and availability is good. Same goes for the Z490 mobos.

Maybe I should just jump to 9900K/Z390 now? :/

Soldato
Do you really think it'd be that long? :(

If I waited I'd be looking at the 10700K which is going to be pretty much the same as the 9900K, maybe with slightly higher clocks but nothing major. Whilst the CPU may end up being cheaper in the long run as it's repositioned as an i7 rather than i9, that's only going to be after prices have stabilised and availability is good. Same goes for the Z490 mobos.

Maybe I should just jump to 9900K/Z390 now? :/

Ryzen 4000 should be out this year too,if the cadence for Ryzen 1000 and Ryzen 2000 is followed. This is why I haven't upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700X yet as I am waiting to see if Ryzen 4000 series CPUs will work in my B450 motherboard.

If AMD is further increasing IPC and clockspeeds,and if apparently they are moving to an 8 core CCX too,it could be Intel has no more advantages overall in gaming?

Also,I would rather have one of the 10000 series Intel CPUs than a 9000 series,as the pricing tiers should go down one level at least as Intel is now adding SMT for most of its CPUs,and the platform should have motherboards which can handle more power.

Soldato
Ryzen 4000 should be out this year too,if the cadence for Ryzen 1000 and Ryzen 2000 is followed. This is why I haven't upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700X yet as I am waiting to see if Ryzen 4000 series CPUs will work in my B450 motherboard.

If AMD is further increasing IPC and clockspeeds,and if apparently they are moving to an 8 core CCX too,it could be Intel has no more advantages overall in gaming?

Also,I would rather have one of the 10000 series Intel CPUs than a 9000 series,as the pricing tiers should go down one level at least as Intel is now adding SMT for most of its CPUs,and the platform should have motherboards which can handle more power.

Yes, it is quite possible that Ryzen 4000 will fully steal the gaming crown from Intel but they're not quite there yet. Don't think I can wait that long though as it's going to be later this year isn't it?

Regards multithreading, yeah I won't buy a 9700K as I feel it was artificially hobbled by removing multithreading just to differentiate it from the 9900K and it looks like it'll be the only i7 not to have it.
It's pretty much a straight choice between 9900K now or wait for 10700K.

Soldato
Yes, it is quite possible that Ryzen 4000 will fully steal the gaming crown from Intel but they're not quite there yet. Don't think I can wait that long though as it's going to be later this year isn't it?

Regards multithreading, yeah I won't buy a 9700K as I feel it was artificially hobbled by removing multithreading just to differentiate it from the 9900K and it looks like it'll be the only i7 not to have it.
It's pretty much a straight choice between 9900K now or wait for 10700K.

I had my Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 on a 67 series motherboard,and it went kaput a few years later,and since it was mini-ITX,I could only find a B75 replacement new with one SATA3.....so your H77 is much better than what I had to put up with! :p

Well my Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 is probably a good match for your mildy overclocked Core i7 2600K,and even a lowly Ryzen 5 2600 hammered it in one of the worst possible games for Ryzen(just see one of my earlier posts),so even a Core i7 9600K will be better. SB/IB are legendary but I think their time has come now - it could be all these security mitigations which are the problem here,so the new Intel and AMD CPUs will be a big upgrade.

It depends on how long you could wait - ideally it would be better to have both companies new CPUs out so you can see which is better. If the 10700K is 6C/12T it might be a good gaming CPU in its own right IMHO.

In my case a Windows update which changed the sound configuration panel on my system,seemed to hate my onboard sound,and cause lots of other problems,and I upgraded 8 months earlier than I wanted too - so even though I am happy with the Ryzen 5 2600,I would have preferred a Ryzen 5 3600. I wanted a Core i7 8700 but the Intel CPUs shortage made it over £300(FFS) and the AMD CPU was £140,so stuck with it,but still annoyed I couldn't wait and the alternative went stupidly priced! :(

Soldato
All I'll say is I went from 2500K to 3700X, like night and day. My system now is so quick and quiet. Don't listen to the chipset fan naysayers, I have an Aorus Master X570 and set in the BIOS to quiet profile you can't hear it. Looking forward to dropping in a 4800X or 4900X or even a 4950X. It really is a great upgradeable platform.

Confident it will have just as long a life as my 2500K.

Soldato
Yes, it is quite possible that Ryzen 4000 will fully steal the gaming crown from Intel but they're not quite there yet.
Neither is Skylake rev/ver.5 here, while Intel is struggling with ridiculous power draws.
https://www.techradar.com/news/inte...e-delayed-due-to-power-demands-of-10-core-cpu
Intel's definitely going to have to go cherry picking already cherry picked dies.
Hence with with also continuing production capacity problems availability is very likely to be as good as for "8th" and "9th" gen releases.

Soldato
I am truly starting to believe that the various products including the Xeon replacement for a i7 920 I am running are still competitive and lasted so long in games is purely down to intel not pushing the envelope at all.
I feel that AMD creating product for the next generation of console is actually what has brought us forward, as Intel was happy to plod along doing nothing, without innovation the gaming industry didn't really change, and forced any upgrades it created purely on the basis of GPU updates, when SO MUCH MORE was capable.
Intel need punished badly for this, I'd suggest steering away for any Intel chip until a coulee of generations time, when they have created something innovative, rather than reactive, and actually generate competition.
Indeed innovation slowed down to crawling pace.
If we look at games from say 97 to Crysis in 2007 advance was insane.
Not something we can say about last ten years.

Soldato
Indeed innovation slowed down to crawling pace.
If we look at games from say 97 to Crysis in 2007 advance was insane.
Not something we can say about last ten years.

Tied to the fact that we've been stuck on quad core for most of that period? With this multicore madness I'm expecting a jump in the numbers of NPC's and their AI in coming years.

Soldato
I upgraded from a 3770K to a 3800X and the 3800X is a lot better. I considered going 9900k but, playing the odds for the future, the AMD CPU just made more sense.

1)AMD is likely to have one more generational improvement that I can drop into my MB with a simple BIOS update vs. Intel requires a new motherboard with almost every "+" they add to their old architecture.

2)AMD's CPU is likely to get faster with BIOS updates. (ABBA was a good example of this) vs. Intel's CPU is likely to slow down with security patches.

I currently have 5 Intel rigs and only 3 AMD rigs. Most of the Intel (Sandy/ Ivy/ Haswell) rigs were built for performance reasons where 2 of the 3 AMD rigs were built for "value" reasons. The 3800X is the first performance-based AMD CPU purchase I have made since my old Phenom X6 rig from a LONG time ago. I'm not a "fan" for either manufacturer. I just buy what I think is the best for what I plan to do.

The 9900k just didn't have enough of a performance advantage in gaming for me to overlook downsides.

Associate
We need a table to list the "from" and "to"s for everyone so we can get a general concensus :)
My example:
From (in 2012) - i7 3770 non-k: to (in 2018) - i7 7820X
(I suspect I may have been one of the few to go Skylake-X - but I got a good deal honest).

Associate
It's giving me itchy fingers this thread... 15-2500k here. 3700x is looking like a good option. Just need decide on the GPU as i don't think my HD 6900 will cut it any more :D

Soldato
I'd like to upgrade my 6700k. My main use is gaming, so technically, Intel is my best bet now. However, I just can't justify buying a 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++ product. I'm hoping the Ryzen 4000 are at least on par with Intel's current gaming performance.

Soldato
I'd like to upgrade my 6700k. My main use is gaming, so technically, Intel is my best bet now. However, I just can't justify buying a 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++ product. I'm hoping the Ryzen 4000 are at least on par with Intel's current gaming performance.
Intel is slightly ahead if your using an rtx 2080ti at 1080p but for most other configs there about the same.

Caporegime
ryzen 4000s is what we really hopefully waiting for not nearly on par with current intel but hopefully better. also better mobos. get that right there is no excuse from anyone not to go amd.

Back
Top Bottom